Opinions on Åsnes Mountain Race, and alternatives?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
エイダン.シダル

Opinions on Åsnes Mountain Race, and alternatives?

Post by エイダン.シダル » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:01 pm

I'm looking to import (to Canada) 170cm MTN Races as a 'one [ski] to bind them all', for my wife. Maybe the skins, though it pains me, as someone who's waxed his own Nordic and Alpine for four decades. She'll care more about grip than speed.

Any opinion on the alternatives, similar dimensions (60/48/53), metal edges (pref. scales):
- Fischer Adventure/Spider 62
- Rossignol TOURING SKIS OT 65 POSITRACK
- Madshus Panorama T50
- Salomon Escape 60 Outpath

Why the MTN Races?
- love my Gammes
- metal edges
- fit in tracks
- work on consolidated snow, or following my consolidated snow tracks

However:
- a bit spendy to Canada
- fish-scales would suit Southern Ontario/Québec conditions better for her than waxable, or skin
- won't need the X-skins?
- wouldn't want X-skins over base's skins
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

エイダン.シダル

Re: Opinions on Åsnes Mountain Race, and alternatives?

Post by エイダン.シダル » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:08 pm

I'm starting to warm to waxable MTN Races, because I'll always be with her to wax anyway. I run waxable Gammes usually.

Also don't want to deal with different makers' short skins. I've already got 45mm Mohair X-skins, and might have a reason then to also get nylon ones.
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:05 am

If you have a clear decision to make for length, I'd recommend going a little bit on the longer side for the yellow MR48 Skin, エイダン.シダル if you have a choice... my wife had a lot more success on my 190 cm ones than I did. She has a pair now. I squished them a little flat on consolidated snow. They are really great fun.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:39 am

Well I guess we have an answer on whether Madshus will continue making their transition skin. Some had wondered about the durability of the attachment part of the skin. I've had no problems.
Another option for your wife would be the M50 with the integrated skin. The only drawback is I would only mount these with movable bindings which are only NNN with no leather boots available. However they are a fast good all around ski for moderate terrain and all I have to do is keep her in glide wax. She loves these skis and they have given her confidence to become a much better skier.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 am

You guys with your short forms, lol. 'M50'?

Madshus Fjelltech M50?

wabene

Post by wabene » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:19 am

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 am

Madshus Fjelltech M50?
Yep. The integrated skins are faster than kicker skins since they are recessed. We skied 2 seasons on them and the skins are still good. Just a quick application of some kind of skin conditioner and you're off. My favorite skis are my Gamme's and I'm guessing I would probably like the Mountain Race more than the Madshus M50's, but it is a good ski and I got them for around $200. I just wish they made NNNBC bindings that move or NNN boots in leather.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:34 pm

wabene wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:19 am
エイダン.シダル wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 am

Madshus Fjelltech M50?
I just wish they made NNNBC bindings that move or NNN boots in leather.
Ain't that the truth. I'm going stout NNN boots for these.

For me, I wish there were a more flexible sole for NNN BC boots, but they all seem to be built on the same sole. Correct me if I'm wrong.

wabene

Post by wabene » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:50 pm

The Crispi Nordland Hook is a great lightweight leather kick and glide BC boot. It's got more torsional rigidity than NNN boots but flexes nicely. Only $159 at Telemarkdown.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:18 pm

wabene wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:50 pm
The Crispi Nordland Hook is a great lightweight leather kick and glide BC boot. It's got more torsional rigidity than NNN boots but flexes nicely. Only $159 at Telemarkdown.
I second this.

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:04 pm

The Panorama T50 seems VERY interesting for someone skiing VERY long distances like me. People have reported the previous M50/55 to be stiff, but IMHO they were skiing short due to nordic rocker, and I would havr choosen on the longer side.

I have asked Madshus about the differences of the updated models that are 25% lighter. No answer yet but I will report back.

The Intelligrip Transition skin system is very good with glide and traction, but not very good in durability. However, tou can find some metal bolts (used for fishing boats and such I reckon) and make your own skins of Colltex 38mm. Just find a fitting pin and bolt.

Just a heads up. Nothing over 60mm shovel really fits in freshly groomed tracks, and longer 60mm will have trouble in curves.

I kinda want to have a try at a small Madshus sponsorship for skiing a Norge på Langs as the first Finnish person in the coming years. Either it is MR48(S?) Fron Åsnes, Or Madshus Panorama (T50)

Kinda interested in the recessed skin models, but other than MR48S is missing the additional easy skin for more traction when needed. Have not tried my MR48S yet, though.