M62 for Massachusetts

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
NewEnglandXCguy

M62 for Massachusetts

Post by NewEnglandXCguy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:09 pm

I live in the flatlands of New England, but only 10 minutes from a very hilly golf course, Gannon Golf club, and awooded park called Lynn Woods. Almost every hole has significant elevation changes and the wooded area has climbs that approach 180 feet. In fact, the golf course did previously have a ski lift.

I've been downhill skiing for 25 years, but remain a beginner/intermediate, because I heavily favor snowboarding and rarely ski. That being said, I'd really like to get out on this golf course (90% of what I'd be doing) and maybe up to NH for some of the touring ski trails, like Jackson.

I weigh 185lb, in decent shape, and was thinking of an Madhaus M62 in the 180-190s paired with some NNN-bc bindings and maybe the alpine Alaska boot. My goal is to be able to enjoy some turns, but I'm not hunting for them. This is more to increase my winter activity level and enjoy the scenery.

Any thoughts? Would I be better served with the M68 or even something like the s-bound 98?

chris_the_wrench

Re: M62 for Massachusetts

Post by chris_the_wrench » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:30 pm

NewEnglandXCguy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:09 pm

Any thoughts? Would I be better served with the M68 or even something like the s-bound 98?

Have you seen any S-bound 98's forsale in the wild? Ive been watching and waiting but Ive only found the real short length.

NewEnglandXCguy

Post by NewEnglandXCguy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:28 pm

Have I seen 98s in the wild?
....I suppose not.

I have also considered the 88 excursions and I have seen those in the wild.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:26 pm

NewEnglandXCguy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:09 pm
I weigh 185lb, in decent shape, and was thinking of an Madhaus M62 in the 180-190s paired with some NNN-bc bindings and maybe the alpine Alaska boot. My goal is to be able to enjoy some turns, but I'm not hunting for them. This is more to increase my winter activity level and enjoy the scenery.

Here in New England, you are going to be dealing with fairly hard packed snow most of the time, with sometimes a few inches of fresh on top. Skis like the M68 or S-Bound 98 are going to be frustratingly slow on gentle terrain, because they have a soft flex, and the fishscales will be dragging the entire time. Those skis would be awesome in a place like Colorado or Wyoming, where there is soft snow on the ground most of the season. New England is just not that place.

The slightly narrower skis, with ~80mm tip width, like the Fischer Traverse 78, Asnes Nansen, Madshus M62, and Alpina Discovery 80 all have a stiffer flex underfoot, which does a much better job lifting the traction pattern off of the snow when you are gliding around, with your weight split evenly between both skis.

That ~80mm wide at the tip, and stiff underfoot, is a good 90% of the time class of ski for here in New England.

The stiff flex underfoot makes it fast enough to use all the time, and the width is enough to give you some float on those rare occasions when there is a bunch of fresh snow on the ground. All of them also have enough sidecut to help you a little in the turns.

As for NNN-BC bindings and the Alaska boots, it's hard to wrong with those. I do recommend going to a store to make sure the boots are comfortable on your feet. If for some reason the Alaska boots don't fit you right, there are several other brands that make NNN-BC boots in the same class.

NewEnglandXCguy

Post by NewEnglandXCguy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:17 pm

That ~80mm wide at the tip, and stiff underfoot, is a good 90% of the time class of ski for here in New England.

It seems like the Fischer 88 excursion would also fall into this category - wide tip & stiff underfoot?

chris_the_wrench

Post by chris_the_wrench » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:21 pm

NewEnglandXCguy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:28 pm
Have I seen 98s in the wild?
....I suppose not.

I have also considered the 88 excursions and I have seen those in the wild.
Ironically the pair of 189 sound 98's I ordered last spring just showed up! So they are trickling out into the wild....

riel

Post by riel » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:32 pm

NewEnglandXCguy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:17 pm

It seems like the Fischer 88 excursion would also fall into this category - wide tip & stiff underfoot?
That would work, but it isn't going to work better than its narrower cousins.

A wider ski will not only glide slower, but it will also be harder to turn than narrower skis, when using the same leather/fabric boots.

NewEnglandXCguy

Post by NewEnglandXCguy » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:42 pm

riel wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:32 pm
NewEnglandXCguy wrote:

A wider ski will not only glide slower, but it will also be harder to turn than narrower skis, when using the same leather/fabric boots.

The 88s would be harder to turn compared to M62, but better in some # of inches of fresh snow or in variable packed conditions?

riel

Post by riel » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:33 pm

NewEnglandXCguy wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:42 pm
riel wrote:
NewEnglandXCguy wrote:

The 88s would be harder to turn compared to M62, but better in some # of inches of fresh snow or in variable packed conditions?
When you have more than about a foot of fresh snow, the Excursion 88 skis would probably be better than than the M62. With less than a foot of snow, they'll both be fine.

That means for typical New England winter conditions, there maybe 2-3 days a year where the Excursion 88 is better than the M62, at least on non-steep terrain.

NewEnglandXCguy

Post by NewEnglandXCguy » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:25 pm

riel wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:33 pm
NewEnglandXCguy wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:42 pm
riel wrote:

When you have more than about a foot of fresh snow, the Excursion 88 skis would probably be better than than the M62. With less than a foot of snow, they'll both be fine.

That means for typical New England winter conditions, there maybe 2-3 days a year where the Excursion 88 is better than the M62, at least on non-steep terrain.
Steep terrain being more than the wildcat ski trail or sherbie on Mt. Washington?