Atomic Telemark OT skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Atomic Telemark OT skis

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:38 pm

MikeK wrote:Yeah... and it's starting to get everywhere.

I'd call Johnny our resident XCD expert but I'm sure there are others - no one is really asserting their dominance except the Ronster.

Ron - have you ever seen the notion of reviewers of all sorts of skill levels testing skis? Some places do this because what works for the 'expert' doesn't always work for the novice or the intermediate skier.

Also in terms of assessing a skis ability to turn does not mean you have to ski it down 35 degree slopes of shit snow. Some people might be interested in how a ski might perform in the typical terrain they may ski, and that may be 5 to 20 degree slopes of short or long duration. Just because you tour your skis doesn't mean you can't or won't encounter this.

So lets see here. Now not only have you never really contributed any kind of useful or correct information regarding ski gear, you also have proven that you aren't a very good skier and taken a beating for that. Seems to me you are batting 1000 big guy... might be time to take a breather.

MikeK, there's others who share your views on skiing. I share your views somewhat although I do like steeps and heavier gear too. I don't prefer photos of people skiing as much as the terrain and scenery, similar to what you were expressing in an earlier thread. You seem to know how this place is supposed to work. Why don't YOU start an XCD thread?

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Raventele wrote:^^ Mantras and Backups beat Glittertinds on the down and over a wide range of conditions.. :lol: :lol:
How's that smart guy ?
And T4's will kick the shit out those silly Alaskas..
and 3pc beats the holy shit out of NNN/BC..
WTF ya squawkin' about ? :roll: :roll:
You and I sided in favour of pins over system gear for 3 months..and for single camber over leaf springs for the same period..WTF? Ya got a 3-digit memory or what ?
I have skied the hell out of XCD and XC..years ya dummy..
Alpine lite Terrains and T4's forever..Spring corn and sugar..Or any winter soft snow..Excursions are a fine boot too, but T4's rule..

SMEARSMEARSMEAR hey look everyone, I'm fucking crazy!!! If you don't do it like me, you are stoopid!!

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 pm

^^ GREAT idea Conjob!!! but he has no pix and would have to steal them from me and Teleman. :lol: :lol:
Besides how many swamp photos can ya post ?
I am beyond certain that your IQ has nothing to do with me Conway..
Did you really write this for Climbhoser ??
[video][/video]
Last edited by Raventele on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm not quite sure what you are squawking about, so maybe you should post some pull up some quotes in another thread and save our new member from Scotland the misery of your ranting.

Surely I favor pins - there is no denying that. All my skis have pins. Surely you have no idea on my intentions for NNN bindings or wax skis.

I'm glad your boots can beat up my boots. That's great but I like a variety of gear of different conditions. Not much sense in my mind in skiing T4s 10 miles in the woods on flat terrain.

Surely I like both double camber and single cambered skis - both have strengths and weaknesses.

Surely you know I enjoy kick and glide and the downhill aspect of Nordic skiing. It makes sense maybe that I might favor skis that can do both very well and that I understand the tradeoffs with each.

Surely you can deduce I'm not really a beginner but I spend most of my time skiing with them.

Surely you can deduce I'm not an expert either.

So what can you deduce?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:55 pm

connyro wrote:
MikeK, there's others who share your views on skiing. I share your views somewhat although I do like steeps and heavier gear too. I don't prefer photos of people skiing as much as the terrain and scenery, similar to what you were expressing in an earlier thread. You seem to know how this place is supposed to work. Why don't YOU start an XCD thread?
Thanks for the suggestion but I'd just as soon post a few pics of trip here and there and talk about gear, skiing, goof off, like we are. I don't need a 75 page thread of pictures to prove anything.

I moved away from heavier gear for a couple reasons - mainly my wife doesn't like it, I tried her at a resort and it didn't work out too well. Second I got kind of frustrated with boot/gear problems - I could have overcome them, and maybe someday I will, but I was spending more time in pain and messing around than I was actually skiing with my last pair of boots. Also like I said I don't think I liked my carving skis that much - I would have rather had some with more versatility. And lastly I kind of got sick of the resort crowd - too many people and not always my favorite people.

I thought of getting into AT after I switched to Nordic BC because I thought I'd never be able to ski down hills or learn telemark. I decided that was silly because I live so far away from that type of terrain it would be difficult for me to get to in good conditions so I'd more or less probably spend most of my time skiing them at resorts. Also I didn't know anyone that would ski that with me, so I'd have to try to seek out partners. It just wasn't adding up.

Such is life - I'm having a lot of fun skiing the way I do and learning a ton of things. I doubt I'll ever be an awesome tele skier but if I can ski 5-20 deg slopes reasonably well then I've got most of it covered.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:57 pm

^^ Holy Fk man, you go on about absolutely fkin' nothing longer than some old aunt's ass..
Can't ya just post in proportion to what you ACTUALLY have to say?

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Raventele wrote:^^ Holy Fk man, you go on about absolutely fkin' nothing longer than some old aunt's ass..
Can't ya just post in proportion to what you ACTUALLY have to say?
Whatever he has to say is 1000times more interesting than your BS. No insult intended MikeK...

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:09 pm

^^^^ "Ain't she a beautiful sight?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
[video][/video] :D :D :D

Restarter

Post by Restarter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:10 am

MikeK wrote:
Restarter wrote: So, I was wondering about Fischer E109 Crowns: reasonably conventional (should get some kick and glide), but should be OK for turns (I'll take all the help I can get). Bindings probably Voile 3 pin with detachable cable - so I can get more help if I need it. That would be my main set up. I then wondered about having an ultralight NNN (not BC) set up for lower level touring. Need to think about the skis for that though.
We've been talking about this quite a bit lately and those skis have come up here and there.

My humble opinion - go for the S Bound 88/98 or the Madshus Epoch. They kick and glide reasonably well and turn well too. E109s in their current trim, from all I can tell, are more of a touring ski.

If I could have one BC Nordic ski it would be the Epoch or the S Bound 98. You can read our informative discussion about it here:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=388

What is your plan for boots? That will probably have more an impact on how you want to focus your effort.
I saw that thread. As far as I can see there is no way to get Madshus skis in Scotland other than by mail order from the USA. The ski shop I patronise tends to go for Fischers (some Salomon and Hagan, but mostly Fischers). On the other hand I am going to Norway for 10 days next week and might check out the Asnes skis. I assume you have seen the threads looking at lighter and heavier BC skis here:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search

and here:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... gbD2R9Lh8A

The Google Translate needs a bit of work. The Fischer 109 came out pretty well, I thought, but it is a question of the balance between the horizontal and vertical. Oslosportslager will ship overseas.

BTW the guys at the ski shop have said that Fischer will probably drop the 79 and 89 S-Bounds for next season, but may expand their Easyskin range.

Boots - i'm going to go for Fischer BCX 875s - the beefiest non plastic boot I can get. I need them fitted after a lifetime of abuse of my feet so buying mail order is not an option.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 am

Cool articles. I have never seen those. I think they may be a bit old because the E99s they show are the same ones my wife has, and I bought them NOS. The newer ones have a different profile, different waxless pattern and maybe some others stuff.

Yes - always tricky to balance the horizontal with the vert. Also consider snow depth - those narrow skis aren't so fun in deep snow as are the wider ones in hard packed.

PS Please add a review or your thoughts on those boots and whatever skis you get once you do. Thanks!

PPS Sorry for the garbage all over the place - our janitor is on strike :D