Light & agile tele: SB with the new transnordic leather?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Light & agile tele: SB with the new transnordic leather?

Post by TheMusher » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:48 am

Fellow teleturners,

Greetings from an OG of backcountry Norway. Virgin post here, hoping for some expert advice and discussion.

I'm currently considering a light, agile & nimble tele rig for touring. Use case is touring in mountains and alpine terrain, steep but not avalanche steep (max ~30°):

Hence, I'm considering the following rig:
- Boots: Fischer Transnordic 75 (ie. new VERY stiff leather boots)
- Bidings: Switchback
- Skis: 85-95 waist

I have a NTN rig, but the rigidity and heaviness takes away the freedom & comfort I seek when touring in the mountains - the reason I tele to begin with. Not fitting the scarpa instep doesn't help either.

Having skiied since birth I also find the NTN overkill for 90% of casual alpine touring. I know I'm throwing a torch here, but I ride frequently with newbies, so maximum turning power and speed is really not a priority. Obviously have dedicated rigs for non-alpine terrain.

What do you all think?
A major concern is compatibility with the leather shoes and SB, however stiff the boots may be.

Picture of Store Ringstind for use case example.
193525.jpeg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Light & agile tele: SB with the new transnordic leather?

Post by fisheater » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 am

I have a Tindan 86 mounted 3- pin Hardwire. I can ski that combination in good conditions with my Alico Ski March boots. I have doubts that the Transnordic 75 is much more of a boot than the Ski March. Maybe it is??? I know that 86 mm underfoot is pushing a stiff Vibram Norwegian welted sole. I also have a T-4 for when conditions demand that boot. I have read Scarpa may be quitting on the T-4, so that would be on my acquisition list. Since the Tindan 86 is no longer made, perhaps a Voile Objective would fit your needs? At 190 lbs I always thought I was too heavy for an Objective.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am

Welcome to the forum Musher. I’ve never had good luck with leather boots staying in SB bindings. I went with 3 pin hard wires so I could do that I eventually put an old riva on the HW riser. Any old cable binding with the standard three hole pattern should work.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:25 am

Yikes. Looking at the photo, I would be on my T2's, Switchback X2's and Hyper V6's. It is heavy setup for sure. Just last week, I went out and skied a 25-degree run using the above-mentioned setup, and then again, the same run the next day with the new Alfa Free / Objective setup. The snow was ideal and it was fun to compare the advantages and disadvantages of each setup. As the slopes get steeper and the snow get more challenging, I think there is a perfect case for a new NTN boot from Scarpa. Come on Scarpa, fill the gap for those looking for a lighter uphill experience and desire an active system for the downhill run. The Fischer Transnordic looks like an interesting boot, but I have not skied it.

TheMusher

Post by TheMusher » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Thank you all for the welcomes!

So what I'm taking away is that very few - if any - have successfully paired the SB with leather. I assume this is due to the sole heel bending and twitching under the pressure(?)

Had my hopes raised from the marketing of these boots, but I may just have missed the writing on the wall:
- "Completely redsigned for 2022, the Transnordic 75 Waterproof has a Vibram® 75mm sole for use with lightweight telemark bindings, such as the Voile Heavy Duty Mountaineer, Voile 3-pin cable and the Rottefella Super Telemark Cable binding".
I guess the Switchback hits just above the mark of this category.

-"A Vibram® 75mm sole with increased turning power and ski control, compliments the higher profile leather upper and secure lacing system that provides incredible support and power transfer capabilities"
Notwithstanding this, the vibram sole seems like the same as used on e.g. the Alfa Advance GTX - hence, not rigid enough to meet the SB?

I like to believe the ancle support in itself would suffice for me. Contrary to most alpiners, I ski to experience the approach & uphill only to endure the downhill. Maybe it's an acquired preference after endless hrs of polar touring.

Fisheater - Have actually been holding the T4s as a fall-back option. Would for the love of tele avoid the discomfort of plastic when covering ground - especially during approaches - but may just end up there.

Lowangle al - 3-pin is definitely an option to consider. What holds me back currently is the preference for the free pivot. How do you find climbing with 3-pins in 20-30degs?

Off-topic: Tom M. - You're an absolute legend and I hope you never stop sharing content. In awe of the tranquility of the Idaho mountains. PS We're all tuned for your report on the Alfas.
Last edited by TheMusher on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:53 pm

Tom M wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:25 am

As the slopes get steeper and the snow get more challenging, I think there is a perfect case for a new NTN boot from Scarpa. Come on Scarpa, fill the gap for those looking for a lighter uphill experience and desire an active system for the downhill run. The Fischer Transnordic looks like an interesting boot, but I have not skied it.
Not going to happen. Even when this magical boot that's been scheduled for next year's catalogue every year for the last 5 years does happen it's 99.9999% going to be a Maestrale class boot (1400g +/- per boot) not an F1 class boot (1100g +/- per boot), the latter being what I think most of us were hoping for. The tech is there to make a plastic boot that is as light as a transnordic, tours as well, and has much greater downhill stability but scarpa is afraid of the changing binding trends in tele and if anyone of us dirtbags will actually buy the damn things. (for the record, I would)

TheMusher

Post by TheMusher » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:56 pm

The more I read, the more I believe I may believe the Voile 3p hardwire could fit the bill. The versatility in rolling terrain is a strong appeal, also allowing for leather.

Only question mark is the downhill performance. For those with 3-pin hardwire experience - would they really be feasible in alpine terrain as described above? Cognisant that would be stretching its intended use..

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 pm

3-pin HW is strong -- I used to ski it at resort with T2 and T1 (with CRB release thingy) on K2 World Piste (122-80-107) -- Hendrix.
But you may want the free-pivot of SB -- seems like some are saying not good with leather (I dunno). Have you ever tried the Excursion? -- very soft, hardly feels like a plastic boot (of course it does not have the aesthetic appeal of leather).
Last edited by stilltryin on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:41 pm

The 3p HW is very capable three pin binding on the downhill even without the heel throws. With the heel throws it's comparable to the SB. After skiing it a couple years w/o the heel throws I came to the conclusion that I prefer skiing with them. After coming to this conclusion I switched to a cable binding that I had on hand that isn't made anymore. If I didn't have them I'm always happy with the SB.

I rarely use the freepivot if I'm using wax or scales only for skinning but my wife as well as many others use it. It can be an energy saver and it also saves your heels if you are prone to blisters.

As far as that exposed alpine terrain in your picture I also think you will be happier with the T4. What might be survival turns in leather boots can be a fun run in plastic boots. If you are touring for turns, especially in alpine terrain you will have more fun more of the time with plastic.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:51 pm

@TheMusher i have 3 sets of 3-pin cable bindings and a 3pin Hardwire. However when I bought an Alaska 75 mm boot I didn’t like the fit. So for my new Falketind 62 Xplore skis I mounted them Rotte Super Telemark with the cable. I can’t say for sure what I think of the cable, it’s been in my pack. I will say that the Super Telemark fits the thermomolded Vibram sole of the Alaska better, really noticeably better. The Transnordic also has a Vibram thermomolded sole, is it thicker? I don’t know, I don’t think so, but I don’t know.
I am impressed by the Super Telemark, so I’m a new convert, and you know what they say about new converts!