Last Year’s and this Year’s Grip Wax Experiments

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Last Year’s and this Year’s Grip Wax Experiments

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:38 am

As many here are aware I prefer grip wax to scales despite the fact I live in a climate (southern Michigan) where using scales would be easier. For me, easier doesn’t mean better. So below are last year’s two experiments.
DC995658-D983-4012-9AA1-D7EEE4C30271.jpeg
The winner of these two waxes is Rex Universal Grip Wax. While I was, and still am looking for a wax between Swix Blue Extra and Swix Red Silver. While I think that Swix Blue Extra out performs Rex Universal, I like the Rex for cold mornings that are in the Swix Green range, but with temps rising to blue temps. I also have found tar wax loves fresh snow. Another good use would be blue temps at the bottom, but going into green temps. Regardless this wax is a winner. You need a tin of this!
Last years loser is Terva Yellow Tar Kick Wax. It doesn’t compare in performance to Swix Red Silver other than a pleasant pine tar smell.
This year’s selection to be that unicorn wax between Blue Extra and Red Silver:
B7FE1017-744D-42CD-80D8-368AB9F8FA68.png
Vauhti Pure Pro White Grip Wax
I will be going to this wax in those above Blue Special temps, and will report results.
The next new grip wax is a klister. While I compare the performance of Swix Blue Ice klister to Blue Special Wax, I see that a klister between Blue and Red could be desirable. I have had mornings when red would stick, but as the tour went on and temps warmed it was the correct choice for the day. This year’s klister experiment is:
133EC6BC-D1B3-46F4-B109-BC2BEF60EB29.png
Rex Gold Klister, I am thinking it straddles the temperature range around freezing nicely.
Both products are race products and a little more expensive than regular products, but I work for a living. I can spend a bit extra to enjoy my valuable ski time.
BTW @lilcliffy if you are still reading Swix has a new series of klisters, Swix Nero Klisters. They have an additive that picks up less dirt (and debris???) than regular klisters. I included a link. I’m just pulling you to the “dark side” my friend!
https://www.pioneermidwest.com/swix-kn4 ... r-55g.html

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Re: Last Year’s and this Year’s Grip Wax Experiments

Post by Krakus » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:56 pm

This new line of Swix klisters and also hard waxes contain graphen, as a replacement for fluoro additives which were banned. I tried hard wax VP65 to prevent icing, it worked to some extent.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:15 pm

Excellence Master Eater-of-Fish.
Keep posting in this thread for us.

(BTW- I have long since gotten over my aversion to klister off-track. Nordic magic man.)
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:30 pm

Thank you for the wax review, fisheater. The 'VAUHTI PURE PRO WHITE' you are trying out this season looks interesting.

PRO WHITE +3/-3ºC | 37/27 ºF
for wet & damp fine grained snow. Good also in mixed snow conditions when there is a risk of icing.

Sounds like magic wax.

https://www.pioneermidwest.com/vauhti-p ... e-45g.html

motel 1.5

Post by motel 1.5 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:58 pm

I too really enjoy the efficiency of a wax-based ski and also live in an area where waxing can be a bit dicey (especially now with climate change but that’s another story). When I was a kid it was often easy waxing green-blue conditions and it’s now usually blue extra and beyond.

If I can add to the discussion I’d like to note that the Start Oslo waxes have been fantastic in my recent experience. Definitely not a fast wax but super reliable kick in varied conditions so a perfect BC wax for me. I’ve been supplementing Rode and Swix kick waxes with the Blue or Purple Start Oslo when conditions are tricky and having very good results. It too is not cheap but at the rate I use it it’s a very small investment. Here’s a good rundown of the product: https://enjoywinter.com/read-skipost/-w ... -kick-wax/

Good to hear about the Rex Universal wax, I’ll have to give it a try. fisheater please keep us updated on the Rex Gold klister, I just picked up a tube by recommendation from a local shop but haven’t had an opportunity to use it yet.

Also if anyone has any experience with the Start Universal Wide klister I’d love to hear about it. I’ve heard a rumor that it’s standard issue in the Finnish army and with my recent experience with Start I’m really looking for an excuse to try more of their products!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:37 am

@fisheater Why are you jumping from Blue Extra to Red Silver without trying Violet Special?

Also have you tried Swix Silver Klister?

I am having problems with 40degF granular with hard ice underneath... Suggestions? I've been using Universal with Silver mixed in under the foot, but with mixed results. It's OK, but not great. There's an Extra-Wet from Swix, but I worry about it glueing to the ice at the bottom of the track that might not be as wet as the melting granular areas. Maybe more Silver is the ticket.

Really intrigued by that White!

I also did not like Start Yellow Tar.
motel 1.5 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:58 pm

If I can add to the discussion I’d like to note that the Start Oslo waxes have been fantastic in my recent experience. Definitely not a fast wax but super reliable kick in varied conditions so a perfect BC wax for me. I’ve been supplementing Rode and Swix kick waxes with the Blue or Purple Start Oslo when conditions are tricky and having very good results. It too is not cheap but at the rate I use it it’s a very small investment. Here’s a good rundown of the product: https://enjoywinter.com/read-skipost/-w ... -kick-wax/

Super recommendation and a good read! This could be a really good New England option. Thank you!

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:48 am

@Woodserson I actually have not tried Violet Special. I’m sure that is the wax @Cannatonic speaks well of. I have tried a half tin of V50 Violet as it is a warmer wax than V45 Violet Special.
My use of V-50 has yielded for me so-so results. I’ve had a couple times when I didn’t get good grip with V-50 Violet, but then had a little stick from red/silver, a quick swipe of V-50 Violet over red/silver has been golden.
@motel 1.5 Thank you for that interesting write up. I will definitely need to check out those Oslo waxes by Start.
Woods, I have not tried Swix Silver. I may find out how easily Swix Extra Wet ices up. I have much less Swix Red Klister in stock than I thought. Unless I order more soon, my klister selection will go from Rex Gold to Swix Extra Wet. This seems like a really bad move.
I’m really aggravated with this thread, now I think I NEED some Start Oslo wax and Swix Silver klister! Darn, at least if I make another order I can get some regular Swix Red Klister!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:31 pm

motel 1.5 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:58 pm

This was totally awesome advice-- I know @fisheater has been banging the drum since he got his. I just had a good day to try the Oslo Start Violet with @riel in difficult conditions-- two/three day old fluff on a base that had been subject to a hard rain and then refrozen, with temperatures in the high 30's and low 40's. Slushy in spots, drier snow on top of granular groomed base in others, and the Oslo Start V just kind of worked. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't terrible either. Today would have definitely been either a scale/skin day or maybe a klister day (and even that in the shadows may have been a pain with some of the drier stuff in the shade that didn't see the sun.)

Anyway, for incredibly tricky waxing conditions, it just kind of worked better than anything else I've tried in this temperature range. I was actually surprised we got it to go outside of its temperature range. The push-twist-pull dot-the-ski method worked, I think I ended up with 4 thin layers.

Thanks for the recommendation, I approve of Oslo Start. Weird magic kind of wax.

Looking forward to trying the other colors on colder icy/granular conditions with some mixed in snow, where klister would be overkill but Blue or Violet won't take.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:11 pm

@motel 1.5 I am glad @Woodserson dug this thread up. I really need to say thank you! The Oslo Violet is just a fantastic addition to my wax kit, and will be for some time I believe. I plan on trying the red version next season.
Woods, thank you for finding this thread. I’m glad I was able to post a thank you to motel 1.5. I’m also happy the Oslo Violet worked out for you.
@FourthCoast buy the Oslo Violet first, it is the more reliable and less expensive wax. The Vauhti Pure Pro White works best above Blue temperatures, but it works best in non-transformed snow, where the snow is still crystals. When it works, it gives good grip and it is fast fast fast! However I have put it on hoping it would work, only to go straight to Oslo Violet. Since you don’t want to buy too many waxes, I strongly recommend the more versatile Oslo Violet.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:13 am

Been using red for the first time in years and it got me to the top without any problems....With double camber the skis cut loose easily on the down....Man what a thread!....Had no idea waxes had gone so far....Thanks to you all for this information....Man a whole new world has opened....TM