New boots and telescopic poles still needing work but look promising

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

New boots and telescopic poles still needing work but look promising

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:47 pm

I wanted to share my experience with my brand new boot (yes boot as I only have one so far...) and new telescopic poles.

Although I did not try the boot yet on ski, I did not get it before the snow was gone here..., I still had the chance to have a look at them in my old unmouted Europa 99 with the new very low tech binding from Voile (see picture) an even lighter version than the Velcro binding shown here on April 1st. I could not convinced Voile to invest more time into developing this binding so I turn myself to our in-house engineer @Bri7 to dig into that.

Back to the boot, as you see in the picture, it offers a tremendous support for dh but at the cost of touring efficiency. The boot is pretty light considering how high it goes, just under the knee. Forget about fitting issues... it will fit everyone! There is one inflatable air bag on each side of your ankle to provide perfect fit as well as a world class ankle support. There is 3 Velcro straps to tweek the adjustment and I think I will use the loose setting for uphill skiing and you can adjust it in a matter of seconds for better dh control.

The coolest thing about this boot is that you not only free your heel,you also free your toes!!! So, don’t need to specify that this boot was specifically designed for spring skiing. I forgot, the airbag and stiffness of the boots allow one to safely exit from the backcountry if they sprain an ankle for example. This boot allow you to still ski even with a broken bone!!!

That’s about it for the boot... it’s too bad I only get to try it for a few weeks and won’t be able to try them next winter :?

Now for the telescopic poles. Well, a picture is with a thousand word so I gave you 3000 words! Look at them! Great armpit support... this new approach for ski poles provides a direct support for your body. Also there is 2 adjustment, one for the position of your hands on the pole and one for the length of the pole. I am looking forward trying them out next winter. I have tried them with the boot and they really work great together. You can make long stride on the flats and they even work on trickier terrain.

Finally, here is the pictures you were looking for. What do you think? Do you think those new twist on classic gear have a future? Please share your thoughts!
4C7F01A8-9CD6-4242-BE07-AF0AD09DE217.jpeg
DDA10E95-070C-4866-9D2E-6303B159CDE7.jpeg
5681ECCA-9ED8-486F-B4B7-945CDC482835.jpeg
35C4CDA3-9419-4259-A913-87699591D98F.jpeg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: New boots and telescopic poles still needing work but look promising

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:28 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:47 pm

Back to the boot, as you see in the picture, it offers a tremendous support for dh but at the cost of touring efficiency. The boot is pretty light considering how high it goes, just under the knee. Forget about fitting issues... it will fit everyone!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm looking for a boot ski combo that can traverse the polar cap and then schralp Tuckerman the next day. I'm sorry about the loss of touring efficiency.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:15 pm

Wait, do I remember correctly that you are a farmer? A busted up leg should make for an interesting season. I have a hard enough time around the farm WITHOUT a bum leg. Sheesh. Heal quickly!

oggopoggo

Post by oggopoggo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 pm

Pole planting must be like drawing 6 shooters.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:02 am

Martin, that is not a good boot for a farmer at the end of April. I don’t even recommend for the green house. You need the smooth feel of leather soon.
The poles look slow, bad for skiing and farming.
However the Europa is the same model I got this year this year. That is cool!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Wondering if this meets the definition of "adaptive sports".
Also, spoilers on these boots about as tall as the original Jet Stix!!... but is it really spoiling the skier?

Going on a tangent...
  • Pic below was inspired by the jet turn. It's certainly inspiring me.
    (this was acceptable marketing in the 1970's, took other industries 50 years to catch up to ski marketing strategies)
    Jet turn.jpg