Rottefella BC Flex 60SH

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GuillaumeM

Rottefella BC Flex 60SH

Post by GuillaumeM » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:00 am

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a thread about this little gummy part of the BC binding called flex but I could not find anything on this forum. Rottefella has two different flex for the BC binding, the usual black ones (40SH) that are soft/middel flexing and the red ones (called 60SH) that are hard-flexing: https://rottefella.no/flex-60sh-rod. I just bought a pair of those ones and they are really much harder than the usual black ones that comes with the binding.

My guess is that they might be useful to transfer more power to the ski while DH and get more stability for teleturning, but they might also reduce the XC performances. It took me around 20-30s to remove and put back my flex on both bindings while on a tour so it could be interesting to have a pair of red flex in the pocket for more engaged DH. Might be a good option for stabilizing more soft-flexing boots like the Svartisen on wide skis and get a better pressure on the BOF?

Anyone having experience with those ones?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Rottefella BC Flex 60SH

Post by bgregoire » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:00 pm

If you search for "red flexor" on this site, it will come up.

Its often used on ice skates in Sweden.

There is (or was) a harder "white flexor" too. I have a pair. Its so damn hard I could not believe I could actually squeeze it into the binding so it remains untested on my side.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

GuillaumeM

Post by GuillaumeM » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks for the vocabulary help :)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 am

I put Red Flexors on my Ingstads a few years ago. Kick & Glide is short and snappy, and they are really nice for going downhill, especially if your skill telemark on NNN-BC is less than ideal or you are in weirdo conditions and need the help. I don't think I would like it on long flat kick & glide sections where I want a long diagonal stride, but if I'm going up and down hills it's really nice. You can always swap back.