Gear Basket

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Gear Basket

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:38 pm

I bet they made those Outtabounds in 199s. They make the S78 and S88 in those lengths, and those are essentially an older version of the S88.

It's only when you go to the S98 do they cut the length to 189 max.

And FWIW both the skis I have that are S Bounds measure 196 and 186 respectively. Just flip that last digit upside down and that's the length you get.

196 ain't bad for a middle of the road ski. YMMV if you have deeper snow to contend with.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 pm

oops! So the Outabounds was essentially a waxable S-88? What is the waist width on a S-88?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm

lilcliffy wrote:oops! So the Outabounds was essentially a waxable S-88? What is the waist width on a S-88?
Outabounds became S-88
Boundless became S-98
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote:oops! So the Outabounds was essentially a waxable S-88? What is the waist width on a S-88?
It's the same profile: 88-68-78

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:48 pm

And sorry to go off topic here but I'm actually not sure if the S88 was available as a 199. It's not any more now that it's an Excursion but the S78 definitely was, I have a pair! Interestingly enough Fischer cut the 199 for the Traverse.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:19 pm

MikeK wrote:And sorry to go off topic here but I'm actually not sure if the S88 was available as a 199. It's not any more now that it's an Excursion but the S78 definitely was, I have a pair! Interestingly enough Fischer cut the 199 for the Traverse.
Pretty sure the Outtabounds were only up to 189 length. I remember several years ago trying to decide between the Karhu 10th MTNs and the Outtabounds. I went with the 10th MTNS because they came in 195's and had a wider tip.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:51 pm

I feel like Fischer has continually shot themselves in the foot for the skis they offer.

That old Mtn Crown pattern was pretty bad and they didn't make lengths as long as Karhu did. It's a wonder they survived.

Right now, of the Madshus vs. S Bound generation pre-easy skin, I'll take the S Bound anyday. Still, waxless only and Madshus did/does make a 205 Eon.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:03 pm

I saw a pair of Merrill lace up boots at an Anchorage Play it again Sports today. They seemed to be in good shape, the sole was still stiff so I don't think they have too many miles on them, but I didn't check the pin holes. The size was barely visible but it looked like 10.5 and felt that way too. If I didn't have 4 pairs I would have bought them. I think they were $59 but could be less. They will ship if anyone is interested.

ph. 907-278-7529 Email aaron@piasak.com

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:07 pm

MikeK wrote:
It's the same profile: 88-68-78
Damn- well at least I didn't miss out on a ski with a 88-78-something profile with a waxable base!!!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I take it you basically want a wider version of those USGI skis?