Unexpected Opportunity to Head East

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Unexpected Opportunity to Head East

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:48 pm

I have been freelancing through the winter. It has allowed me to trail ski, and I have had some really good snow. Now I need to drive north an hour for some snow this weekend. I will probably wait for Sunday as a mid-day warm up will soften the hard refrozen snow.
I’ll be going back full time in the next couple weeks. I have looked at White Grass, and it isn’t looking super appealing, due to conditions. So between Michigan and New Hampshire who has enjoyable snow? I’m may ride a chair, but that isn’t the goal. I’m looking to ski up to ski down, on wild snow.
Thank you!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Unexpected Opportunity to Head East

Post by phoenix » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:47 pm

Snow's kinda funky here in Vermont, but there's (still) plenty of it, and all the earn your turns terrain opportunities you could want. FYI: it's going to warm up considerably in a few days... warm days, cold nights. Hit it right, and could be delightful.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:26 pm

UP has challenging snow. It's not thin, just... challenging. Hope that helps.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:08 am

Alpine is alpine.....BC is...uh....come back this way and you will get your up and down....If your interested ski with us...As of right now we will be sugaring and skiing....Sugarhouse and Telecamp....Don't know what conditions you will get but up till now....since January 8th....it's been nothing BUT powder!!!!!!!...hear next week things will change...Cool...Hardwick Vermont is your destination....Hope to see you and hope for some decent skiing...And if it "ain't" will ski it anyway!!!!!! TM

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:37 pm

greatgt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:08 am
...As of right now we will be sugaring and skiing....
@greatgt
Haven't heard this phrase in a long time. Presume no vacuum lines?

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:37 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:37 pm
greatgt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:08 am
...As of right now we will be sugaring and skiing....
@greatgt
Haven't heard this phrase in a long time. Vacuum lines, or tractor?

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:16 am

weather forecast for NW New Jersey is 70F later this week. should be similar in Eastern PA. might be a little colder up north in VT, NH, ME.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:20 am

Is gonna be weird. Hopefully we get cold and more snow in March.

Everything is rock hard bulletproof in NH right now. Snowpack variable. Less than ideal. Better north and high.

Adirondacks have good coverage and several feet of base, apparenty.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:50 am

I started checking into lodging in NY, VT, and NH. All those states have quarantine orders in place for travelers from outside of neighboring states. There are also reports you are supposed to file in some states.
What I may think about these rules would be irrelevant. I wouldn’t want potential legal problems from trying to go skiing. The base will be under assault from the weather in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula for the next couple days. I will watch the reports and hopefully head up there end of this week. There are places up there I have not been to, so i will seize that opportunity. I always enjoy my Upper Peninsula trips, it is quite different than the lower peninsula where I live, but just 5 miles across the Straits of Mackinaw (Mackinac for the Francois)

Thanks @connyro for mentioning your conditions. I think I will head towards the Porkies, and explore from there. Not that I want to ride chairs, but Bohemia is within a reasonable drive. Even if i mostly ski trails I should find plenty of interesting places. I have my Michigan Gazetter map book. It helped me navigate in the UP back when I had beagles. You never know where you are going to end up when you drop 6 hounds in a UP swamp. The only thing you can be sure of, is it will be a long way from where you started!

connyro

Post by connyro » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:09 am

Porkies may be your best bet. Plenty of snow but it's crusty and unstable. There's some ideas for a big snow event next week but we shall see. If you can't find any good bc snow, you may consider riding the lift at the porkies ski hill or doing laps without the chairlift. Lots of fun at that hill to be had even in poor snow conditions. If you end up in the central up and the snow conditions have undergone miraculous improvement, pm me and I could take you to a local super secret spot for good xcd