I think I'm turning XCd

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: I think I'm turning XCd

Post by Stephen » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:59 pm

Personally, I think THE most important thing, #1, is fit.
The other stuff doesn’t matter if the fit is off.
I tried 5 or 6 different boots and finally went with the Alfa Guard.
Some of my write up on that process is here:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... e0b#p32885

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:13 pm

@FourthCoast , as Stephen states fit is the most important factor. However getting the fit right in the easiest manner scored points as well. I’m pretty sure you can order an Alaska BC from REI delivered to the store that is closest to your home, and if it doesn’t fit return in the store and order another size.
BTW the Alaska BC is a powerful boot for a leather NNN-BC boot. For me it also fits like custom made. I liked mine so much I picked up an Alaska 75 on sale this past summer

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am

FourthCoast wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 pm
Does anyone have experience with the Alpina Alaska and the Alfa Guard Advance, both in NNN-BC?

I would like to know which boot has the most lateral support for putting a ski on edge. Or is there some other boot that would be even better for keeping the 'd' in 'XCd' ?
I have both in EU45. Alaska fit great right out of the box outside of some mild heel lift blistering that resolved with break in. Guard was a much higher volume fit in the same size. I felt like a was swimming in them a bit until I was able to break them in enough to lace them tighter AND put in a much higher volume footbed (went for superfeet wool).

I initially got the Guard thinking it would be better for XC (much lighter, softer flex) and Alaska was more suited to descending (this is probably the conventional wisdom). As I have skied the Guard more, I'm liking it better for up down and everything in between. The Alaska seems stiffer in every way when you hold them (very torsionally rigid). But I'm wondering if the sole is so stiff (meaning bending at the toe) that you end up fighting it in a way. Guard seems to have softer forward flexing sole with lateral/torsional rigidity.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:21 pm

Yeah, I have a wide, but low-volume foot.
This is something I was ignorant about until recently.
I liked the Guards for the width, but my foot was sort of swimming in them, also.
Ended up putting a second wool footbed in them, in addition to a layer of cardboard AND the stock Alfa footbed.
Then, I wear a very thick sock.
That pretty much fills up the boot and is generally pretty comfortable.
My only real complaint is that the heel counter seems unforgiving. It is just what it is and does not seem like it will conform to my heel at all. I continue to have to wear protective tape as a safety measure against heel blisters.
BUT, this is one of the best fitting pieces of footwear I have ever had, and for a heavy boot, that seems pretty good.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Thank you for the detailed review of the two boots, John_XCD. It was very helpful.

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:12 am

The snow is gone. Thank you, everyone, for helping this wannabe xcd skier with advice, motivation and gear this season.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 pm

Cool! I hope you were able to enjoy. And stick around :)
This season was super short in Norway as well. No snow until mid January, and all gone in my usual playground now. I hope next year will be better (some of the skiing will be with a pulk no doubt)

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:15 pm

Roelant,

It was a short but fun ski season. I will be sticking around and lurking here but mostly distracted with summer stuff now.

I am actively looking for NNN BC Alpina Alaskas in euro size 44.

It seems like new ones are still flying off the shelf at REI. I missed my chance to order a pair about a month ago.

If anyone has a pair they don't need please let me know.

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 pm

It is 71F outside and the tulips are growing. I just ordered my first completely new ski boots since some time around 2003. And they are cross country boots! Crazy.

I decided to go with the Alpina Alaskas.

Now I need to learn how to take care of the boots. I think I can probably figure it out before winter comes again.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Minus 5F here this morning. We got a couple inches of fresh yesterday but the wind was howling. It should warm up to the upper teens for an afternoon ski. I'm not sure if it will be XCd or xcD. Either way it should be good as the sun is shining.