breathable shell jacket? is there one that lets sweat out but keeps you dry

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Eärendil
Ski style: Ski touring
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Re: breathable shell jacket? is there one that lets sweat out but keeps you dry

Post by Eärendil » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:51 am

bgregoire wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:30 pm
Eärendil wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:21 am
lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:48 pm
This jacket: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... cket/59958
Very cool.
Now on list to Santa.
Woolshell does seem like a smart design in cold weather. It would be interesting to know how much the fabric brakes wind compared to other solutions. The fact that this jacket has pit zips seems to imply rather high wind resistance and need to ventilate extra.

//Rickard//
I tried an Aclima Woolshell pant as an outer shell several years ago. Not the best for wind protection. Its basically a very soft, light "softshell" made with wool.

That other eastearn european product mentionned above looks like something else, but still, I dont want me outer shell to be insulative. I want to layer as needed. I'm sticking with my Fjallraven Keb (G-1000 cotton/poly and softshell panels). With it, there is no need for an extra shell in my pack, just an extra insulative layer.
When I was looking to buy a more breathable softshell, the Keb jacket was a strong contender. I like the hood especially. Great protection. My concern was whether the softshell panels would be a bit too breathable in strong winds. Is the extra insulation enough in all conditions for you?

//Rickard//

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:00 am

Couldn't read all the replies so will give my take...If redundant delete....Merino underwear.....decent wool sweater....merino vest or any wool vest....windbreaker in the pack....Three times this year have used a coat....merino is many times better than any, ANY, synthetic wear....It whisks better than away clothing...stays warm....Read somewhere that it was 30 times better at all the functions that synthetics try to sell you....Arc on everybody! TM

Holzinger

Post by Holzinger » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:16 am

I have several coats make with Schoeller dryskin. Would give any coat made with that a solid recommendation, coats made with that are getting harder and harder to find though.
Go your own way, the lines are shorter...

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 pm

Eärendil wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:51 am
When I was looking to buy a more breathable softshell, the Keb jacket was a strong contender. I like the hood especially. Great protection. My concern was whether the softshell panels would be a bit too breathable in strong winds. Is the extra insulation enough in all conditions for you?

//Rickard//
The hood is soooooo awesome, I use it all the time. I would not do without. Especially if I lived in northern Sweden. I'm based in Québec (Canada) but do have a good connection with Sweden, have skied there a few times already. This has allowed me to get acquainted with a lot of the Scandinavian gear before it became available in North America (Fjallraven, Klattermusen, Bergans, etc.)

Anyhow. The Keb, even though cotton is a little heavy, has been my go to nordic bc ski jacket for the last, o, 5 years or so. The main breathable softshell panels cover the entire back and around the elbows/arms. The softshelled arms just make the coat more flexible and easier to move in. The back panel helps dump loads of extra humidity.

I go for the Keb whenever the temp is between about -2C to -20C (excluding windchill factor). In the warmer temperature of that zone, it works great as is, great wind protection over all the front, and good thermoregulation, even when its quite windy. I'll usually carry a fanny pack water bottle with a snack and some waxes. In colder temperatures or on longer tours, I often carry a small light back pack. The backpack contains an insulated water bottle, a down jaclet and an extra insulative layer. The backpack acts as insulation (and wind protection) on my back. Which is actually a serious problem for me (as I sweat a lot there) with most standard jackets. However, the thicl softshell material just makes it such that the back ventilates well there with the backpack on.

I'll mention that I am a fan of the Alcima woolnet underwear. But with the Keb, I usually go for a non-meshed thin wool or synthetic base layer.

My Keb is a size larger than the normal size (i'm usually a size M, and mine is L). This was a mistake when I bought it, but as the Keb is designed clean-cut and athletic(don't know how to say it), I feel this larger size gives me more winter options (layers as needed) and still does not feel bulky.

For warmer temps, I still go for an ultralight windshell or nordic ski softshell once in a while. Here is my review of one I still use: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2288

On an extended tour of northern scandinavia, I used a Klattermusen Rimxfaxe. This coat is soooo amazing, especially for pulk hauling (unfortunately appears to be discontinued). Its downside is, with a pack, the back cotton just gets soaked, like any cotton/ventile/etaproof jacket would, and presses that humidity against my body.

Ha det bra!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:28 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:54 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:48 pm
This jacket: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... cket/59958
Very cool.
Now on list to Santa.
Here's some commentts about it on some bushcraft site:
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/ ... et.235441/

"It has very little insulation properties though I found as it’s not a thick material and it lets wind through quite easily so you’ll definitely need an insulation layer underneath in cold weather and a wind proof layer over top if there’s any real windchill factor."

If that comment is true, I wonder why wear it?
Excellent information! Thank you!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Eärendil
Ski style: Ski touring
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Eärendil » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:45 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 pm
Eärendil wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:51 am

//Rickard//
The hood is soooooo awesome, I use it all the time. I would not do without. Especially if I lived in northern Sweden. I'm based in Québec (Canada) but do have a good connection with Sweden, have skied there a few times already. This has allowed me to get acquainted with a lot of the Scandinavian gear before it became available in North America (Fjallraven, Klattermusen, Bergans, etc.)

Anyhow. The Keb, even though cotton is a little heavy, has been my go to nordic bc ski jacket for the last, o, 5 years or so. The main breathable softshell panels cover the entire back and around the elbows/arms. The softshelled arms just make the coat more flexible and easier to move in. The back panel helps dump loads of extra humidity.

I go for the Keb whenever the temp is between about -2C to -20C (excluding windchill factor). In the warmer temperature of that zone, it works great as is, great wind protection over all the front, and good thermoregulation, even when its quite windy. I'll usually carry a fanny pack water bottle with a snack and some waxes. In colder temperatures or on longer tours, I often carry a small light back pack. The backpack contains an insulated water bottle, a down jaclet and an extra insulative layer. The backpack acts as insulation (and wind protection) on my back. Which is actually a serious problem for me (as I sweat a lot there) with most standard jackets. However, the thicl softshell material just makes it such that the back ventilates well there with the backpack on.

I'll mention that I am a fan of the Alcima woolnet underwear. But with the Keb, I usually go for a non-meshed thin wool or synthetic base layer.

My Keb is a size larger than the normal size (i'm usually a size M, and mine is L). This was a mistake when I bought it, but as the Keb is designed clean-cut and athletic(don't know how to say it), I feel this larger size gives me more winter options (layers as needed) and still does not feel bulky.

For warmer temps, I still go for an ultralight windshell or nordic ski softshell once in a while. Here is my review of one I still use: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2288

On an extended tour of northern scandinavia, I used a Klattermusen Rimxfaxe. This coat is soooo amazing, especially for pulk hauling (unfortunately appears to be discontinued). Its downside is, with a pack, the back cotton just gets soaked, like any cotton/ventile/etaproof jacket would, and presses that humidity against my body.

Ha det bra!
Sounds like you found a winner. I have the same problem with my back getting sweaty when carrying a backpack. A hybrid shell like Keb could be a good solution here.

I was actually contemplating to test a pack with a stiff mesh back like Osprey Atmos. I know the mesh is great at accumulating snow, but right now a bigger problem is me skiing with a wet back!

I am also a big fan of Aclima Woolnet. I tend to overheat and the Woolnet is a great first layer.

//Rickard//

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:03 pm

greatgt wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:00 am
Couldn't read all the replies so will give my take...If redundant delete....Merino underwear.....decent wool sweater....merino vest or any wool vest....windbreaker in the pack....Three times this year have used a coat....merino is many times better than any, ANY, synthetic wear....It whisks better than away clothing...stays warm....Read somewhere that it was 30 times better at all the functions that synthetics try to sell you....Arc on everybody! TM
Teleman, you seem like a pretty frugal guy, do you a good place to buy merino wool long johns?
Thanks

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:29 pm

A little off topic but I’m a big fan of Smartwool. I have a set of top/bottom base layer that I’ve been using for about 8 years. Seams are holding up great. I know Smartwool is pricey but you get what you pay for with them. I also have their socks, beanie.
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!