breathable shell jacket? is there one that lets sweat out but keeps you dry

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: breathable shell jacket? is there one that lets sweat out but keeps you dry

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:10 pm
No I haven't, if it ain't broke why fix it.
Yeah, if it isn't needed....well, it isn't needed!
My son in Alaska swears by the waxed Fjallraven clothes.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:20 pm

I’m not trying to change any minds here, just reporting facts and observations.
If wool is working for you as a base layer, rock on.

Wikipedia states: “Wool fibers readily absorb moisture, but are not hollow. Wool can absorb almost one-third of its own weight in water.”
I don’t think synthetic will absorb water, which is why I think it might transport moisture away from the body more effectively.
Personally, I love wearing SmartWool tee shirts whenever i can — even in the summer, because it seem like they work across a wide temperature range, and still feel cool when its fairly warm out.
I strongly prefer a natural fiber next to my skin, but the synthetic seems to wick better and I don’t seem to get as wet from sweat. I THINK science might back that up (but don’t know for sure).
Each to his / her own.

Genoah77
Favorite boots: Alaskas

Post by Genoah77 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Waterproof/breathable membranes seem to be a marketing gimmick: https://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-cl ... ain-pants/

You will either choose waterproof or breathable, but not both. In the winter, a wool outer layer works great because of its breathability. Al, I have also heard good things about cotton anoraks as outer layers. Hoping to try it soon!

For wicking, as others have said, wool works great! So do synthetics (and I think they wick moisture better than wool). Lots of people are now wearing merino wool/synthetic blends as base layers to get the wicking properties of synthetic plus the anti-BO properties of wool.

Other ideas include pertex/pile, popularized by Buffalo Systems: https://backpackinglight.com/pertex_pile/
It works by using micropile fleece to wick water off your skin and through a breathable (not waterproof) membrane. You might get wet, but the idea is to dry off rapidly through constant movement. The Marmot Ether Driclime is one such jacket, but they can be warmer and cozier like the Montane Extreme Smock mountaineering jacket or a Buffalo jacket of some kind. Interestingly, you are ideally supposed to wear only the jacket, nothing else, next to your skin (!) Good summary here:

I've used the pertex/pile system with some success, but I honestly prefer the versatility of layering since skiing can have so many different temperatures. For me, a merino wool blend base layer + fleece quarter zip + puffy + rain jacket (for wind) works awesome in most conditions. I will try the pertex/pile more, but I do prefer layering.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:08 am

Seems like contrary to everyone else... I like goretex. But it has to be 3-layer (and the bastards change the name of the good stuff all the time it seems). There’s a lot of shells with the goretex name, but surprisingly few with 3-layer and no insulation. I like my dead bird alpha fl shell. I’ll most often layer with a very light wool base layer, and an R1. I don’t wear the shell if I can help it on the uphill, but if it’s cold enough to need it, then I’m fine. You *do* have to be comfortable with being a little sweaty—I don’t agree with everything in that linked article above, but it is true that you have to make water vapor to get it out, which doesn’t happen instantly.

A little cold standing still or downhill and I’ll add a light insulating layer (atom lt) under the shell, or a lot cold I’ll add my belay parka on top of shell (dually... but tbh I’ve never been able to move much with this jacket on. It’s comfy at the belay when ice climbing, or in camp for winter backpacking.)

One thing I’ve gotten comfortable with is being a little wet in the winter. The belay parka over the shell will help extract water vapor when stopped. Same with bringing inner boots and clothes into the sleeping bag overnight. If the weather is really bad... there’s no perfect solution for comfort, but you can stay safe and relatively happy.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:11 am

I really like my Norrøna Falketind Hybrid Windstopper jacket (https://www.outnorth.com/norrona/falket ... ket-m-2017) for skiing and cold-weather mountain biking. The frontside is made from a relatively thin Windstopper soft shell, and the backside is even thinner non-membrane soft shell.
This combination makes for a decent weather protection on the front, and decent breathability on the back.
It is not a wonder jacket that would keep the weather out in all conditions and would prevent you from sweating even when working hard, but I don't believe that is even possible. This is the best compromise I have tried.
This jacket works very well in snow and very light precipitation, but it is not suitable for proper rain.
It also works best when not using backpack, so that the breathable backside can work with full effect. I'm usually using a hip pack because of this (as I don't need avalanche gear or any other bulky items on my local skiing trips). I still get sweaty, but my base layer is noticeably less wet from sweat than with any true shell jacket. I think that I also sweated more with my old thicker non-membrane soft shell jacket, because the thick fabric didn't let the moisture through as easily.

However, it is not a perfect jacket: it was quite expensive (even when bought with a heavy discount), and I am a a bit disappointed with the durability because all the glued seams have started to fail after less than two years of use. It also seems to have been discontinued by Norrøna, so instead of an endorsement for this particular jacket, I would give my endorsement for the basic concept of the hybrid construction: windproof front with a breathable back.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 am

I never wear waterproof jackets for skiing, I've never found any that are breathable enough. For very cold conditions, I wear a polycotton anorak (either a Fjallraven or one of these which is lighter weight: https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/ku-w ... acket.html. As long as the snow isn't wet, these breath way better than synthetics and are much more durable. They block the wind just fine and snow just brushes off. For warmer temps I use a pertex windshirt over either wool or synthetic base/mid layers or a polartec alpha jacket which is basically a lightweight buffalo system.

We had a good discussion in this thread: http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2282 - some useful links and opinions that are worth a read!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 am

Leo Tasker wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 am
https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/ku-w ... acket.html. As long as the snow isn't wet, these breath way better than synthetics and are much more durable. T
Leo, how tall are you and what size do you wear for the Helikon? I can order EU M/ US L or just plain L, so I'm not sure how to size this item. Sellers don't differentiate which sizes they are are advertising, either EU or US. Even the Helikon website is not quite clear in how they are selling them either.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 am

the number of international websites with brands and products I have never heard of before it very cool. one thing is clear: there appears to be no simple "right" answer. what I appreciate is hearing about people's own purchases and how the products they bought have performed. I didn't imagine that the answer to my original question would be so complicated...I naively assumed there was a "magic" fabric

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:15 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 am
Leo, how tall are you and what size do you wear for the Helikon? I can order EU M/ US L or just plain L, so I'm not sure how to size this item. Sellers don't differentiate which sizes they are are advertising, either EU or US. Even the Helikon website is not quite clear in how they are selling them either.
I'm 6'1" and pretty slim, typically I wear a medium in brands like Arcteryx, Rab and Montane. I compared the measurement on the helikon website with a couple of my jackets and ended up ordering a Eu S/US xs even though I was a bit hesitant. The size is good for me, could be a couple of cms longer in the sleeves but I can wear a base layer and midweight fleece underneath comfortably. I'd like to try a medium to compare but wanted a more fitted jacket for XC skiing and I'm happy with it. I'm guessing most sellers will be quoting the EU size but worth confirming if you can.

My Fjallraven Singi Anorak is also a small, but much more roomy and better for really cold conditions. I like the HelikonTex one for more active skiing as the fabric is more breathable and the softshell material on the back means wearing a backpack doesn't get so sweaty. If the hood was a tunnel style like my Fjallraven, I think it would be nearly perfect.

Hope that helps!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Leo Tasker wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 am
We had a good discussion in this thread: http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2282 - some useful links and opinions that are worth a read!
@Woodserson, Thanks for mentioning me, but I am going to save you all from another round of my propaganda. All that I had to say about the subject can be found in the link above!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM