The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm

fisheater wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:35 pm
Yes Gareth, the pins are in the boots. The assumption is they are spring loaded. There is also a lever in the front of the binding, that is assumed to be the release device.
I think the lever is to open the female arms on the binding, the natural state is closed. Looks all enclosed inside the plastic housing, like it's one piece of steel that runs from left to right (you can see the nub at the end), pushing it forward/pulling back opens the bail and then it snaps back shut.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:29 pm
riel wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:51 am

I really would like to know how this mechanism behaves "wet" before I put any money into it, as well as have some understanding of how the design avoids (most of?) the problems of the pins icing up inside the boot sole, and how to deal with it if it were to happen out in the field.
This +1

Also, it looks like it's a pretty stiff soled boot that is probably miserable to K&G in, hence the kick and glide fender that gets swapped in/out. I guess the stiff sole is necessary without rails on the binding to support the boot laterally.
Woods, I’ve given this some consideration. I am proposing an exaggeration of the sole’s stiffness. Let’s say the sole is as stiff as the Ski March a powerful turning boot, but the stiffness hurts the tour. While the boot flexes easily and naturally underfoot with the skier’s weight, the duckbill is just as stiff. That duckbill doesn’t flex. That duckbill is clamped in the 3-pin clamp. That is the problem or the limitation of a stiff sole in a 75 mm binding and it’s affect on the diagonal stride.
Now look at the pins on the Explore. Will it offer the extended classic leg extension of a NNN binding? Probably not, but as a backcountry skier, skiing natural snow, I find my posture much more compact than that of ski racers. It is quite possible I just am not that great a Nordic strider, but I can go pretty fast on my NNN-BC gear. I would enjoy getting close to that kind of performance on a powerful turning boot and binding system.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:41 am

I was wrong... The pins are actually spring loaded. And I am not sure why they designed it that way... I guess the spring is very, very stiff...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:08 am

as far as the boots, isn't it possible that they have a soft forward flex and still have lateral stiffness.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:21 am

Well I am mystified by the spring-pin design...
I don't see how those pins won't FREEZE...
It must work- if they have been tested in the Norwegian mountains- it must work... :?:
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Blackbeard Ben
Ski style: XCD

Post by Blackbeard Ben » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:47 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:21 am
Well I am mystified by the spring-pin design...
I don't see how those pins won't FREEZE...
It must work- if they have been tested in the Norwegian mountains- it must work... :?:
Maybe they're sealed by o-rings or similar, so no water gets in? If the interior spring chamber gets slightly pressurized, no big deal - it just adds to the spring force.

Redmountain

Post by Redmountain » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:25 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 am
All the info about the new Alfa XPLORE boots right here:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3564

Rottefella, Asnes and Alfa, the holy trinity of XCD!

Rottefella XPLORE Alfa Asnes.jpg
But look at the 3rd picture, behind the Alfa boots. I think we're actually seeing the first picture of the three Alpina boots for the Xplore binding!

zonca
Ski style: Classic xc/w scales, TTS Telemark
Favorite Skis: Moonlight Eagle
Favorite boots: TXP, F1Race, F1

Post by zonca » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Orings wear out and would need to be replaceable over the life of a very expensive boot. I hope they have not gone that way.
I acknowledge that I live on the traditional territory of the Algonquin Nation

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:37 am

Redmountain wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:25 pm
But look at the 3rd picture, behind the Alfa boots. I think we're actually seeing the first picture of the three Alpina boots for the Xplore binding!
Ahhh!! VERY GOOD Redmountain!!! I'm glad someone is paying attention... 8-)

We obviously see the new Alaska XPLORE in the middle (it actually looks at lot like my Alaska NTN-BC prototype!)
And yep, I guess the bottom one must be their new upcoming model... Although to me it looks more like a Fischer boot design with Crispi colors! 8-)

Oh... Wait a second..!
Maybe we're all wrong... Am I really seeing the "ROSSI" logo lettering on that new XPLORE boot?!?

@turnfarmer, it looks like your dream might come true... Ok ok, it doesn't look as stiff as the old BC-2000... More like a regular skating XC boot... But hey, who knows what's hidden inside and how it skis with XPLORE soles...

I can easily imagine how powerful skating would be with xplore bindings... A bit heavy though...

XPLORE boots.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:56 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:08 am
as far as the boots, isn't it possible that they have a soft forward flex and still have lateral stiffness.
I suppose it is possible that they made the front of the boot very laterally stiff, while retaining a decent forward flex, to give the user NTN-like/lite control over the skis, with the boot being laterally stiff to the point where the duckbutt attaches on an NTN boot.

It would be nice to get confirmation of that before pouring money into this system, though...

I want something that can obsolete not just NNN-BC, but also these Riva 2 & Z bindings I've been hoarding off eBay. I seem to encounter enough situations where I need some help from my heel to drive the skis, and cannot drive them with the toes alone, with Fischer BCX675 boots.