OMG! Another "help me pick my ski" thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: OMG! Another "help me pick my ski" thread

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:16 pm

The Falketind is much slower than an E-99 ski, and I would guess it is much slower than an Eon as well. I have a Gamme 54, which is in the same class as an E-99. It is fast and fun. My understanding is that the E-99 turns much better due to Nordic Rocker. I can handle the Gamme in interesting terrain utilizing step turns, a few wedge Tele’s. It is stiff and has pop, I wouldn’t call it a turner. The E-99 is better, but a fast double cambered ski only bends so much.
The Falketind has been best described as a mini alpine touring ski, that can be skied with a backcountry boot.It is single cambered. It is not available with scales.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Baaahb wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 pm
The Falketind has much to say for it but doesn't the wide tip make it signficantly slower? I also think it is very hard to get here in the US......is it readily available in Canada?
It never felt like the FT62 tip was slowing me down either with the 188 or the 196 that I only tried a couple of time in do-so conditions the last few days. I have not tried many BC-XC skis but from what I know the FIs the ultimate « tour for turn » ski. As for availability in Canada, there was a lot in all sizes in the Montreal store of La Cordée and they are on their online store.

I have never tried the Eon but I know you can’t go wrong with the FT if you are looking for a ski in that category

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 am

The Eon is "faster" than the FT62 as a XC ski-
Eon has no tip/tail rocker- has a longer glide zone
Eon has more camber than the FT62

As a downhill ski the FT62 is fast- very fast- and it has tip rocker-
that wider tip floats and encourages the FT62 to rise up and plane on soft snow
the tip rocker shortens the effect edge on consolidated snow and makes the ski feel like it has a more-forward mount when downhill skiing on hardpack
the wider, rockered tip definitely does not slow it down
the shorter glide zone of the FT62 on hardpack might lead one to think it would be less stable than the Eon when downhill skiing, but the FT62 is much more torsionally rigid

Where the tip on the FT62 does slow you down- and this is in combination with its round flex- is XC skiing in deep soft snow- it bows like a banana- the FT62 is not a XC ski for deep soft snow- yuck.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 am

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:52 pm
I didn't want to say it, I tried not to say it and even though Baaahb stated how he feels about it I have to say it. I think that Baaahb and his quiver would benefit from a single camber waxable ski.
I don't think you tried very hard not to say it. : ) Still lookin forward to a day with you in the 'Gunks or thereabouts. I could benefit fro a kick waxing lesson!

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:50 am

The FT 62 looks like a very interesting ski...perhaps an upgrade counterpart to the Guide/Annum...requiring more skill but giving more performance...and requiring the ability to competently kick wax....though, do most people kick wax or use a kicker or integrated skin? In any event, It's not on the table...I have tried in the past to get into kickwaxing and just don't like paying that much attention to my skis. Maybe Al can convince me otherwise.....next year, and by that I mean 2022!

I checked out La Cordee and did not realize the Asnes skis were that pricey...I guess the Gamme 54 corresponds in size to the E99 and the Nansen corresponds to the Eon. I don't know if the assumed better performance is worth the price for me...it will just be part of a quiver and gaining an extra bit of speed is not that important to me. Also fisheater noted the e99 turns a bit easier than the Gamme 54.

But it would be a cool to have a ski with Nansen's pic on it!

And Cliffy I agree that tip rocker and soft flex is a real mixed bag in the backcountry. When the snow is deep it is very hard to break trail with a soft tip ski!

BTW, I think I can fine tune the mission statement....this ski is not for going out and looking for low/moderate angle turns. It is a ski for cruising and for being able to make turns when required, including on moderately sloped ungroomed narrow trails.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:54 pm

Baaahb wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 am
lowangle al wrote:
I didn't want to say it, I tried not to say it and even though Baaahb stated how he feels about it I have to say it. I think that Baaahb and his quiver would benefit from a single camber waxable ski.
I don't think you tried very hard not to say it. : ) Still lookin forward to a day with you in the 'Gunks or thereabouts. I could benefit fro a kick waxing lesson!
I held off for almost two days. That would be great to get out for a ski, I'll give you that waxing lesson, but I'll probably be on fishscales.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:25 pm

If you are going to ski 75% in tracks, I would prefer a ski with a 60-65 mm tip and no steel edges or partial steel edges. Full steel edges tend to make the ski too stiff to go around curves in tracks. This is my experience with the Alpina Discovery 68, which has full steel edges. When I owned Madshus Northcape skis (3/4 steel edge) , these worked in tracks well, although they had other disadvantages (a lousy waxless pattern). You should be able to make turns with any of these skis.

I have also heard that skis are in short supply this year, so you might want to see what is available before getting too involved with making a selection.

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:43 am

Yeah, x-c is supposed to be hot this year. I stopped by a second hand store that usually has gobs of x-c gear but the pickings were slim. There were some waxless E99's, but too short.

Which raises another question.....I assume there have been a lot of changes to the E99 over the years....any thoughts on how to pick a "new enough" model at the ski swaps? I'm also going to post this question on the E99 love thread.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:39 am

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:54 pm
Baaahb wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 am
lowangle al wrote:
I held off for almost two days. That would be great to get out for a ski, I'll give you that waxing lesson, but I'll probably be on fishscales.
I know that I am perhaps to reflective...
But I am starting to wonder if I am missing an inside joke or something... :? :lol: :ugeek:
The E99 is a double-cambered XC ski.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:42 am

I can't speak for the Fischers but I thought the Karhus from the eighties and early 90s were better skis than the later versions.