Solid yet economical NNN-BC boot, Rossignol BC X10

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Solid yet economical NNN-BC boot, Rossignol BC X10

Post by Woodserson » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 pm

This is, for some reason, "boot-quest-year" and I picked up a pair of Rossignol BC X10's from Campsaver. I have the previous iteration of this boot from several years ago and it's been a solid choice for lower angle stuff when the Alaska is overkill. My older boots are getting long in the tooth so I pulled the trigger to have the boot in reserve if this whole Alfa thing doesn't work out for me, which so far, is a real possibility.

Rossi upgraded the X10 and it's even more legit. It still weighs exactly the same as the old boot (size 47), 972grams, versus the Alfa Skarvet at 930grams and the Alaska at 1107grams.

The boot is constructed with an outer zip-up liner and an inner bootie with an exoskeleton ankle support. The older version inner boot used to have a quick pull string that would slowly release if the skier didn't tie a knot above the lock, and the laces did not go up the ankle. For the new boot, Rossi added a real lace, which has speed tightening properties, and then two loops up the ankle. The exoskeleton was reworked a little bit too. The whole boot flexes forward easily, and is a touch stiffer laterally than the older style boot. The gaiter loop remains. The heel cup seems to be a bit more capturing of the heel than the old version too. The toebox remains the same, slightly larger than the Alaska, but less than the Alfa's.

Anyway, we can go deep in the weeds on this forum with expensive gear, I really love tweaking my higher end skis and boots like anyone, but this is a sweet capable boot at a good price (do some hunting). Pair this boot up with a Traverse 78 or E99 and you've got a kickass set-up.

IMG_20201029_122019.jpg

jyw5

Re: Solid yet economical NNN-BC boot, Rossignol BC X10

Post by jyw5 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:22 pm

Durability is pretty poor on these synthetic boots...Rossignol and Fischer...but if you get a good price they are worth it. I like that they are more waterproof and also great for rocks and bushwacking. I pair them with a good pair of rock skis. also good as they are warmer than light leathers like the Alfa Quest Core (frozen toes!)

Im still waiting for my Fischer OTX5s to die...the velcro strap is almost dead and the upper is about to blowout. not even 100 miles on them. ..compare with Alfa boots...I have over 300 miles on them and after some leather wax/polish, they look new.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:17 am

One reviewer said the soles on his wife’s boots completely separated from the uppers after something like 100 miles.
Fisher did replace them.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:56 am

Wow, my original Rossi NNN-BC were my first BC boot I purchased, I've skied them every year, and here I am years later and the only thing wrong with them is some thread is pulling out on one side over a distance of about 1-2cm and the padding is blown out. Other than that...good shape. maybe luck of the draw

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:19 pm

I think many of these boots are made in China now. I got these boots 3 years ago. Wore them a few times last season and felt like the whole upper was going to break apart...I would keep an extra pair of boots in the car just in case. I would throw them out but I am such a hoarder.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:35 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:19 pm
I think many of these boots are made in China now. I got these boots 3 years ago. Wore them a few times last season and felt like the whole upper was going to break apart...I would keep an extra pair of boots in the car just in case. I would throw them out but I am such a hoarder.
To clarify, your Fischer boots are breaking apart.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:19 pm

yes, correct. These are the fischer boots. I should have clarified that and I did look at the Rossi boots, they looked and fit similar and should have bought the Rossi boots instead because the price was about the same.
My wife has the Rossi and it is holding up better, but she skis alot less. Time will tell.
I even got the more expensive stiffer Madshus and the strap broke the first day! ...still works but quality very questionable.

But now that I have leathers, I am never going back. :-)

So, I think for synthetics, only buy them on sale.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:06 pm

I had Rossi X-5 NNN combi boots used for roller skiing for about 7 years. I think the sole eventually cracked.

I currently have Rossi boots both NNN and NNN-BC (BC X-6). I think the boot construction is much better than the Alpina boots I have had and certainly the fit is better for me. I haven't tried the X-10. The BC X-6 is adequate for my current skis (Alpina Discovery 68), but a heftier boot might be better if I replace them with a wider ski.

I think the weak part of all of the toe bar type boots is the plastic sole, not the upper, both due to aging and repeating flexing of the plastic, and potential separation of the sole from the upper. A Vibram sole is probably more durable (but less supportive), and sewing is more secure than gluing (but much more expensive).

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:55 pm

Cool- thanks for this report Woods!
(This is review-worthy...review in the review forum please!)

I must say that I have never seen any durability issues with Ross's BC (NNNBC) boot line.
My ski Clan has a full fleet of these boots- to accommodate growing feet- many of which have serious miles and abuse from multiple users over the years and the endless downhill charging, bushwacking, too-early rock smashing, and ski jumping children! The BCX6 is the primary boot in the fleet- though there are a few lace-up BCX4/5's there too. One of my daughters put a beloved pair of pretty BCX5s- black and turquoise, with a furry, fleece lining- through absolute XCD torture for years. She now has settled into a current model BCX6W now that her feet have stopped growing and she loves them- loves the fit.

As Woods points out, Rossi has steadily improved these boots with each generation.
They are well-made, durable, come in both "men" and "women" lasts and are extremely good value.
Also- most importantly they offer a different fit than the other lines of BC boots and if they fit you well they may be the "best" touring boot for you!

I would like to see Ross make a full-grain top-end version of this boot.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

DPO777
Ski style: Cross Country, BackCountry, Out the back door Country
Favorite Skis: Karhu XCD GTs, refurbished wood top unknown skis from the 80s bought during an Alberta Snowmageddon
Favorite boots: Made in Italy 75 mil 3-Pin Alico leather boots. Put to rest Crispi leather boots.
Occupation: Retired now upgrading older ski stuff to more modern technology

Post by DPO777 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:56 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:55 pm
Cool- thanks for this report Woods!
(This is review-worthy...review in the review forum please!)

I must say that I have never seen any durability issues with Ross's BC (NNNBC) boot line.
My ski Clan has a full fleet of these boots- to accommodate growing feet- many of which have serious miles and abuse from multiple users over the years and the endless downhill charging, bushwacking, too-early rock smashing, and ski jumping children! The BCX6 is the primary boot in the fleet- though there are a few lace-up BCX4/5's there too. One of my daughters put a beloved pair of pretty BCX5s- black and turquoise, with a furry, fleece lining- through absolute XCD torture for years. She now has settled into a current model BCX6W now that her feet have stopped growing and she loves them- loves the fit.

As Woods points out, Rossi has steadily improved these boots with each generation.
They are well-made, durable, come in both "men" and "women" lasts and are extremely good value.
Also- most importantly they offer a different fit than the other lines of BC boots and if they fit you well they may be the "best" touring boot for you!

I would like to see Ross make a full-grain top-end version of this boot.
Good to know that some are experiencing good durability with some of the Rossi Boots.

I like the fact that the Rossi X10 has good conventional lacing to the top of the boot. Definitely a plus.

I see your ski clan has torture tested them. I can almost picture them having a blast.

I wonder if the older versions are better quality build than the latest versions even though newer have made some technical improvements.

Still spring hunting for new boots for my wife and in a toss up still between your review of the Alfa Guard Advance GTX BC and Johnny's review of the Alfa Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boots. Both nicely done reviews.

Just missed a Eur 38 on the Alfa Kikut Perform GTX for $239 CAD but found some Rossi X10s on sale for $180 CAD,so maybe worth a chance on the plastics stuff. As Johnny would say be brave and just buy the darn things.

I am with you 110% on the Rossi with a full grain and a half leather uppers. Just making the transition out from 75mm leathers (Voile 3-Pin bindings) right now for both and am a bit leery about the durability of the plastic upper supports especially in sub zero temps. I will say thou I did try a friends pair of Alpina BC 50 NNN-BC boots on his older Salomon XADV grip skis and although they never offered the support of my Alico leathers I did find them lighter, warmer and I dare say more comfortable on the flat stuff. My Alicos hurt around the heel and the Alpinas did not yet for my friend the Alpinas gave him heel blisters. No sole separation on the Alpinas (other than a bit off front rise sole near the pin area which I took care of but the ankle strap needed an early repair. So every pair of feet really needs to try before you buy on some store floor skiing at the retailer, not an easy task when all the sales are usually from afar.

My Alico 75s and my wife's ASC 75s are still pretty darn stiff after 20+ years. I wish I had a boot stretcher and soak down the leather with Neetsfoot oil and see if I can increase the widths a bit.We both have wide feet.

Separation points on the Alico leather vs the Alpina BC 50 (strap separation as well)
seperation1.jpg
Separation points
If only you could get uppers like these old 50s Mark 1 downhill racers with a NNN-BC sole. They are stiff and the soles are screwed and glued. Double heavy stitching on the sole to boot. Built like an old 56 Ford 1 Ton Dually.

mark 1_opt.jpg
They don't make em like that anymore
The Finland retailer Varuste has some pretty good prices on leathers and their shipping to Canada is reasonable as well and no duty from Finland. I lot cheaper than La Cordee or other Canadian retailers. Just make sure your size is best guess and cross your fingers they arrive alive without the FEDEX/UPS retirement fund contribution not being a hold up (-:

https://varuste.net/en/c6125/backcountry-ski-boots