Talk me Down... or Not!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Talk me Down... or Not!

Post by fisheater » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:20 pm

There are Alaska 75 on sale now in my size, with delivery for < $100! I think the only ski I would use these boots with would be my FT 62. However I really like my Alaska BC, have no intention of remounting the FT 62 with NNN-BC. I really like my Ski March, but think I can handle them with a lighter boot, such as powder snow. I think they would be light for my Tindan, and although I am remounting my S-112 3-pin cable, I really can’t see myself actually skiing the S-112.
I should probably pull the trigger quick. I appreciate thoughts. I might add, for less than $100, do I care if they break at the pin line? I think Johnny would say I need to work on technique, however I am pretty much on top of my skis. So I guess I would just find out I’m not as on top as I think I am.

Please don’t think I’m putting words in Johnny’s mouth. It just my interpretation of his words. Johnny has nothing in any words similar to my interpretation.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Talk me Down... or Not!

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:40 pm

I think the boot is pretty rugged. The pin line thing is from people telemark turning on tippy-toe and not keeping the Ball-of-Foot engaged. The only thing is that the duckbill can be a little thin for Voile bindings (fine for Rottefella Super Tele). I mostly solved this by adding the anti-ice sticker to the Voile binding and it's good enough for me, which is saying a lot because I'm all details and technicalities.

The Alaska 75 flexes smoother than the BC. The BC has a hard stop to it, where you flex the BOF and the boot just stops at a certain point. The 75 flexes deeper and allows the skier to go more forward with the BOF still on the ski. It's a cool feeling, cool enough that I remounted my Ingstads with 75mm for this reason. I really enjoy skiing the Alaska 75 on both my 188cm FT62 and 180cm Rabb68. I 100% would not ski the Tindan with it.

The fit is the same between the 75 and BC. If you want a slightly softer BC, go for it. Otherwise, don't.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:40 pm
The only thing is that the duckbill can be a little thin for Voile bindings (fine for Rottefella Super Tele).
I guess NN-Nordic Norm only normalized the pins, not the sole thickness.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:26 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 pm
Right you are and its a great thing its that way.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 am

For a hundred bucks any leather boot is worth it.....mostly.....Could see snow Fish, soon.....Got all the wood split and ready just need some tin on top and.......SKI......TM

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:20 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:40 pm
The only thing is that the duckbill can be a little thin for Voile bindings (fine for Rottefella Super Tele).
Not exactly true, the two standards for 75mm sole thickness are 8-12mm and 12-20mm. Older traditional 75mm bindings, (and the old 71 and 79mm) with small frames, wire bails, or very thin flat steel bails, were designed to accomodate only thin touring boot soles, think "Alfa low cut". Relatively newer designs, (ha! like mid-late 1980's!) such as the Rottefella Super Telemark, can generally work with both boot sole thicknesses. Voiles are only intended to fit the thicker Norwegian welted, stitched soles of leather telemark boots, and plastic tele boots. That Alpina Alaska with the tapered, injection-molded soles is right on the line between the two.
Last edited by fgd135 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:42 pm

For under $100, I went for it. My local county park that has some hills that would be fun to make laps on a powder day! The FT loves light powder day turns. I could make more laps with the Alaska than the Ski March. I could see me easily doing 10-15 miles of looping trails and downhills.

Good luck with the snow Teleman! I’m still hoping to get out on Lake Huron some more. I just need gentle winds, not the Gales of November!

This was me out on Lake Huron 2 weeks past.
48875B43-2CDE-467C-9FD7-E1E642DF7170.jpeg
970D1B4F-7E5C-422A-A4BA-8FC3A5A65062.jpeg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 pm

You have chosen wisely.

Tell me more about your kayak rig in that stellar picture. Any close ups?

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Woods I fish out of a Wenonah Solo Plus touring canoe. The photo was taken by my friend Jason. I think Jason likes making videos and photography as much or more than fishing.

His YouTube site is Salmax Kayak. His latest video is his 15-16 year old son catching a king salmon in Lake Michigan.

Most of the guys I fish with peddle Hobie Pro Angler Kayaks. I am the only guy paddling a canoe. I do have plans to make a decked strip canoe to counter the winds effects on the Great Lakes. The day in the photo was magic for paddling a canoe. There were winds less than 10 mph, and settling swells from the previous day. The canoe slid and rolled through the water. My comparison to the Hobie on that day, would be 8” of cold powder, my canoe is an FT and leathers, the Hobie is Alpine fat skis.

Enjoy the Autumn!
BTW I’m ordering Goodman’s new book. I plan on doing some more serious touring (with turns in Michigan) I plan on being your way next year!

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:56 am

That's a nice fish! Looks much nicer and tastier than the typical sea fish I catch. Good job.