Newbie looking for wide fit NNNBC Boots?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
ludwigk

Newbie looking for wide fit NNNBC Boots?

Post by ludwigk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi, this is my first post as I'm looking to get into back country XC skiing. I've done some looking around here but there's just too many posts to go through!

I’m looking for a pair of NNNBC Boots and need a wide fit (EE or EEE). My normal shoe size is 45/46 (US 11-12)

I really like the Alpina Alaska but can’t find information on how they fit and I have no way to try any of them on where I live in Canada. (Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in Ontario, Canada? or even a good online dealer with a return policy? I know about LaCordee but I've read here that they're in real trouble and unreliable at the moment)

Also, can you recommend the right length and width of ski for me? I’m 185cm and 90Kgs.

I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Newbie looking for wide fit NNNBC Boots?

Post by Woodserson » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:02 pm

Cannatonic will help you in 5...4...3...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:06 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:02 pm
Cannatonic will help you in 5...4...3...
The last time this came up, Canna stated that NNN-BC boots don’t stretch like he can “punch out” 75 mm boots. If I recall people said that Alfa boots are wider.
Stay tuned....

Sorry I can’t help, my Alaska’s fit like they are custom made!

ludwigk

Post by ludwigk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Can you comment on the 'fit'? I've read contradicting comments here. Some say 'made for high volume feet' while others say 'for feel that are long and narrow'. What gives? Could they have they changed the last shape over the years?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 pm

I’m a wide toebox kinda guy. Alfa is by far your best option it that is your case as well. By far.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:49 pm

I have a wide forefoot / last and a very narrow heel. In plastic ski boots I need a boot with 104mm last. The Alfa Guard fits well at the forefoot but still has a slightly long/wide heel so I put a thin heel shim in place then a full thick wool footbed over that and it works great.

The Alfa Quest Core fits like a glove but probably because they aren't stiff boots and they stretch after about 20-30 miles. I just have a medium thickness footbed for that. I can even hike and scramble and climb some class 2/3 with them....no blisters.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:20 am

I haven't tried Alfa boots but it sounds like they're wider than Alaska. I found the Alpina BC1600 to be a little wider than Alaska. Also Lundhags NNNBC boots are wider too, they keep changing the models every year so I'm not sure what they're currently doing.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:59 am

I have wide feet. Maybe this will help...
-
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 62cb914e27
-
image 9.JPG

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:30 pm

La cordée have the Alfa guard and have a decent return policy. I would not buy into the la cordée bashing blind fully even if it comes from this reputable website. Can’t comment on the details but I always got what I ordered and was refunded when returned items. How cool is that, a Canadian shop that carries Asnes and Alfa!!!!

By the way did you know MEC is being sold and will no longer me a coop?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

ludwigk

Post by ludwigk » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:30 am

I recently watch this video:

where he talks about the fit of BC boots and happens to wear the Alaska. He recommends going up 1-2 sizes but with double socks and a VBL. Would this not cause problems with blisters? If I'm a 46EU (11.5-12US) in regular shoes (but prefer a wide fit) is it worth it for me to try the Alaska in 47EU. I really like this boot and want to try to make them fit.