Ski to fill the Gap

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Asnes Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Alaska
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Ski to fill the Gap

Post by Woodserson » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:11 am

Stephen wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:50 am
Still looking for a ski that would fill the gap between a MR48 and the FT62.
I PM’ed lilcliffy / Garett on this, and he replied with much to ponder.
(After spending some time on TT, I have come to appreciate LC’s insightful and thorough contributions!)

I have put his reply below.
One thing he got me thinking about is the type of snow the ski will be used on.
I have been using the website www.weatherspark.com to research different places I might spend the winter skiing.
One thing I eventually realized is the big difference in water content between different geographical areas.
This is an example of one of those things one might already know, but in my case, had not really connected the dots.
Of course I have heard terms like Sierra Cement, and Champaign Powder (and have spent winters skiing both), but just really thinking about how skis respond to snow with different water content was like the proverbial lightbulb turning on!

For example:
- In Trondheim, Norway (Roelent) __ 3.5” of rain makes 1” of snow;
- In Truckee, CA, ________________ 1.5” of rain makes 1” of snow (Sierra Cement!);
- In Oakland County, MI (fisheater), _1.2” of rain makes 1” of snow;
- In McCall, ID, __________________ 0.6” rain makes 1” of snow; and
- In Steamboat Springs, CO, _______ 0.2” of rain makes 1” of snow (Champaign Powder!).

Those are big differences in moisture content.
Roelent has said that the Nansen is popular in Norway. Maybe that the ski does well on consolidated snow (high moisture content) has something to do with that.

I am looking for a ski that does well on the other end of the snow moisture content spectrum (Rockies).
After reading through Gareth’s comments (that I have quoted below), I came to the conclusion that the Ingstad was probably the best match for what I was looking for.
I thought his comments really made clear characteristics of several different Asnes skis, and consolidated information I have found in many different posts on TT. Having the information in one post made it much easier for me to compare the different skis (Gamme, Nansen, and Ingstad).

PULL

THIS

TRIGGER

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar
Been liked: 4 times

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am

@Stephen. Lilcliffy is a cool kid on the block but still I suggest you get the person's consent before posting private e-mails or messages on this board. You might have done so already which would be great, but just in case, play safe! be well.
Last edited by bgregoire on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Falketind 62;Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:17 am

@bgregoire All good man- he asked me before he posted my private message- I speak to it in my reponse to him asking my opinion about the 195 vs 205 Ingstad.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.