Rossignol BC 125 - What are people using for bindings & boots?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Chubbst

Rossignol BC 125 - What are people using for bindings & boots?

Post by Chubbst » Sat May 02, 2020 3:38 pm

I have a pair of Rossignol 125 backcountry skis with Rottefella BC technology bindings, and Rossignol BCX6 boots. I'm interested in setting the skis up for playing on the slopes in the backcountry. Up to now I was using Salomon Xadventure 89s for that sort of thing, but they are limited in what they can do in powder. That being said, I'll definitely continue to pull the 89s out for telemarking Spring conditions - they're a blast - but I want a setup I can play on all winter, not just the Spring. So I'm looking at the 125s. I'm assuming the current bindings and boots I have for the 125s are under powered for what I want to do on the slopes. So I'm wondering what other people are using on their 125s? Keep in mind I'm not really concerned about using them on flats or rolling hills - I have the 89s for that - I'm mostly thinking about the downhill performance. And I know there are better skis than the 125s for that, but I already had the 125s and I'm not ready to add another pair to the quiver.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Rossignol BC 125 - What are people using for bindings & boots?

Post by CwmRaider » Tue May 05, 2020 10:33 am

NNN-BC bindings may be OK in theory, but there is a very big difference in boot support, which will ultimately limit how well they handle wider skis.

The more supportive NNN-BC boots are Crispi Stetind, Crispi Svartisen, and Alpina Alaska. Some people like Alfa Guard Advance but I have not held those myself, and the few Alfas (cheaper kinds) I have played with were really soft, almost like XC boots. I dont know how the Fischers compare to the boots mentioned above, perhaps someone here has compared them.

The 75mm 3pin system accommodates a wider range of boots, from lightweight XC boots to plastic telemark boots. This is, according to many here, its main advantage.
Apparently the concensus here is that, with the basic 3 pin binding, lightweight XC boots perform somewhat similarly in NNN-BC or 75mm variants, when using correct technique (IE forcing the ball of foot on the binding to engage the rails).

Very supportive 75mm boots can be found pretty cheap if you can get the right size (eg. new Alico Ski March 20 pounds on Ebay, 80 dollars shipped to the US). Some people love them, some people struggle with their shape.
A lighter option is the Crispi Bre, then lighter still are the Alpina Alaska 75 and Crispi Svartisen 75 or Alfa Greenland.
Scarpa T4 and Garmont/Scott Excursions are amongst the more supportive options for more vertical tours, while still offering touring flex.

If you want to keep your skis, perhaps getting 75mm cable bindings (Voile 3 pin cable) plus heavy duty boots is a good option?
Cheers

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue May 05, 2020 4:50 pm

If you don't care much about touring or light weight, and are just climbing up and skiing down, you may consider the Voile Switchback binding. Tours good enough. Great for climbing and downhill. A whole slew of 75mm boots would work fine too.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu May 07, 2020 11:36 am

I skied a set of SBound 125's with a Voile Switchback X2 and a Scarpa T4 boot for several seasons. I have not skied the Rossignol BC 125's, but the specs are similar the the SBound 125's. It is a great combo for backcountry telemark, where the focus is on turns, not long distance touring. A 3 pin system would save you some weight and also give you the option to ski either a leather boot or plastic boot, depending on the conditions and terrain, but if your focus, as stated above, is not for flat or rolling terrain, then I think I'd skip the utility of the 3 pin and choose the Switchback / Plastic Boot option. The free pivot of the Switchback, and the quick and easy 2 second toe lock/unlock feature is well worth the extra weight. Here is my 2017 review of my setup.

https://youtu.be/hnTF0G960jk

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri May 08, 2020 8:45 am

This ski seems good for turning; less camber than the other ones belonging to the series (BC 90, BC 110). 3 pin cables with a light plastic boot will be fine. Or SwBack like others are suggesting. Voile 3 pin Hardwire would be fine too. A guy like Lo-Fi likes the simple, no hassle solution, like the Voile Hardwire (no pin); you just need to set them loose... To me 3 pin is great all round binding; the only problem I see is for going up when there's powder... It tends to make the ski tip dive & it is a lot more energy to spend... The going down is excellent... For that reason, I am starting to consider the TTS...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri May 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:45 am
For that reason, I am starting to consider the TTS...
Check ta température mon Bélan, j'pense qu't'a pogné quekchose toé tou.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat May 09, 2020 8:31 am

Non mais penses-y chef... Simple, très léger, avec un grand choix de modalités d'activités... Un déroulé du pied qui favorise la montée en neige profonde. Comme je te le dis, la 3pin cables est parfaite; sauf pour faire ta skin track dans la poudreuse...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

raisin'heel

Post by raisin'heel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:54 am

Love the Rossi BC 125's driven with Garmont (now Scott) Excursion plastic 75mm BC ski boot.

Caveat: binding mounted so ball of foot, not pin, on mfg. indicator line/balance point, or approx. 2.5" or more ahead!

These high cambered (older version) skis are super responsive in soft snow and powder conditions, quite efficient/fast and light for their size and love turns through trees and steeps. Not so much for harder snow, and strong camber can make grip more challenging at times.

I don't understand why Rossignol, and others, don't get the "progressive", superior, forward mount that www.altaiskis.com uses for example. I also have the Altai Kom in two sizes, and Voile' Vector BC, all great, with some noticeable differences...

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:45 pm

I have skied the bc-125 at resort using 2-buckle plastic boots and a cable-type binding but IMO these skis really shine when skied with leather and 3 pins. It is a versatile ski but you want something stiffer (torsional rigidity) if skiing challenging slopes. It is also surprisingly fast for covering flatter distances....faster than a skinner ski would be if one is breaking trail through more than an inch or two of snow.

The above comment comparing 75mm to NNN BC is interesting and informative. I think they can come close in downhill performance but have not got there yet. Still trying.