Spring Time

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Spring Time

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:34 pm

The start of spring means different things in different places. Teleman seems like he is still into snow and making syrup. Tom said he had good snow at 8000 ft.
In my part of the world, snow is gone, and most inland fishing is closed. We can still fish on the Great Lakes, and the waters that connect the big lakes. We also have suckers! They are a bit ugly, and boney. However, they have a sweet flesh and are enjoyed canned or smoked.
I drove up to Omer, Mi on the Rifle River. Omer is home to the world famous Omer Sucker Festival. Which is of course cancelled due to COVID-19. While there was no Sucker Queen crowned this year. I still went up for a couple hours to have some canned sucker for my pantry. Fishing was pretty good, I caught 10 in about 2 hours. That was as many as I care to process.
Wishing you all a wonderful spring! Stay heathy!
E2EB5446-D84A-428C-A517-4259B94D3318.jpeg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Spring Time

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:53 pm

That's a good looking Wenonah back there

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 am

Nice fish! Do those taste any good? And how do you prepare them?

We are still buried in 8ft of snow at 2000ft. Unfortunately, 50 mph winds have ruined our sunny day and possibly all that good snow. With any luck, we get some spring corn soon.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 am

Like that canoe!....Have an Old Town and plan on doing a lot of floating this summer....South facing side of hills is pretty much gone with the West blasting in corn but that side will melt....North and East still real good....Need a two footer!!!!!! Might have to get back into fishing and then taking my little grand child with me...TM

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:47 am

Woods,
The canoe is a Wenonah Solo Plus. I was looking for a sit on top kayak back then that would work with my then 7 year old son. I also wanted to be able to fish solo on the Great Lakes and local inland lakes and rivers. I couldn’t be more pleased even after 10 years. However I am planning to build a decked strip canoe this year for the big lakes. I am hoping the deck will help reduce the effects of wind on the big water.
JYW5,
I can the suckers with no additives at all including water. I leave 1” of headspace and pressure can the recommended time. There is plenty of liquid when canning is completed. I make sucker patties the same as I make salmon patties. I usually just use a little salt, pepper, and a touch of lemon for suckers as they are quite mild.

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 pm

This one is an old-town; with oars too.. at Big Cypress; Everglades national park, last week.
771631B2-53A4-4685-9758-93EA4770C82B.jpeg

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:54 am

Nice catch there Fish, I recently read that suckers not only taste good, they also don't accumulate pollutants in their flesh as much as other fish.

I have been boating since early March when the lake started to thaw but haven't had any fishing success. It has been nice to enjoy Spring two months earlier back East than it would be in Alaska.
IMG_1012.JPG
I am able to get a few more days paddling by going over and through ice to get to open water with the help of special tools and skills during freeze up and breakup.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:45 am

Al, you are correct about the suckers being safer to eat. Michigan puts out a Fish Consumption Advisory. It’s pretty sobering to read, a lot of contaminants in our fish. Methyl mercury comes from coal burning power plants, and limits consumption of many popular Great Lakes species.
The not so funny thing is that the advisory is just that an advisory. There are species of rough fish, catfish, carp, buffalo from certain areas that in the advisory are listed as do not consume. Those fish are commercially caught and sold in eastern fish markets. I’m told these markets generally sell to immigrant populations in big eastern cities. I’m sure that similar things occur on the international market as well. I don’t buy much fish, but if I do, I pay attention to where it comes from. The problem is I’m not so informed as to really know if I’m really buying a product that isn’t chemical laden.