Old 3-buckle boots enough to edge 99mm waist ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
afranch

Old 3-buckle boots enough to edge 99mm waist ski?

Post by afranch » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 am

6-2" 230 Lbs 52 yrs. Solid advanced, athletic, somewhat aggressive, but by no means expert tele skier. Probably get out 15 days a year or so, mostly travel to CO from NC.

For boots I have 1999 75mm T-Race (3-buckle, all red, the ones with faux carbon print on plastic cuff).

Just got a really good deal on a pair of 99mm waist Head Kore 189's to use as quiver-of-one, all-mountain, 100% resort focused skis. I demo'd this same ski with NTN stuff and loved how it carved. I really enjoyed the control I had, and the ability to put the ski way up on edge. I am hoping to do the same thing with a set up on my new boards.

I have never used a highly active 75mm binding. Chilis are what I am coming off of.

What I am wondering is whether my old 3-buckle T-Race, when combined with a 22D Vice binding, and my size/weight/big legs are going to be enough to drive that ski way up on edge and allow me to rip in the same way the NTN did? The Kores again are 99mm at the waist, and while they don't have metal laminate in them they do have graphene in them does make them stiffer than the typical carbon reinforced wood ski. So maybe because of that stiffness, and the 189cm ski length, and the experience I want to have on the skis I should go with NTN? Or is the old 3 buckle T1 race and Vice going to be enough to crank that ski on edge.

BTW, I found a good deal on both a used TX comp in my size and a new rottefella freeride binding, and they are within my means. On the other hand waste not want not…..it'd be simple to just buy a set of Vice use the boots I have and call it good. Just don't want to have regrets for not grabbing the NTN stuff.

What do you think?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Old 3-buckle boots enough to edge 99mm waist ski?

Post by phoenix » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:53 am

I've never skied NTN, so can't speak to that, but the T-Race and Vice's are more than adequate to drive the skis.

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:52 am

I'm 5'8" and 155 and rode a pair of 185cm Armada JJ's (115mm underfoot) inbounds with Scarpa T2 Eco's which are 3 buckle. I think you'll be fine.
Last edited by MSU Alum on Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afranch

Post by afranch » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:13 pm

I had the sense it would be fine, just never skied a ski that wide.

jeff_er_why

Post by jeff_er_why » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:58 pm

I've skied a 193 Nordica Enforcer (100mm wide) in a Scarpa T2x and Hammerhead bindings and thought it skied well. It was an eldora Powder day so got skied out fast and turned into crud, the combo handled everything well. Your T1 Race will be taller and stiffer. I've never skied the core but felt them and they fill stiff, similar to the enforcer. Vice is the new HH.

You've got the green light from me

Tele2$room2$broom

Post by Tele2$room2$broom » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:52 am

The problem would be: someone telling you that you need a taller, stiffer boot... I think there is only one left: the BD Custom... Those T-race are in the top pack of boots regarding stiffness... So, you'll certainly be alright, specially with the Vice.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:43 am

FWIW, when I moved up from 70s wasted skis to around 100 it took a while to get used to them, but I love wide skis now.
The widest ski I have is a 108mm powder board and they ski great with T4s even on soft packed powder or a couple inches of powder.

afranch

Post by afranch » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Very good feedback, and thanks for the advice all!

Am going to rock the T1/Vice combo for sure.

In addition to saving $$$ I was a little worried about the freerides delamming the Kore b/c it doesn't have metal in it. I did some searching online and saw a couple reports of this happening to tele skiers with the Kores/NTN. Don't know how they went about mounting their bindings though. I am planning on using epoxy at least on the back two screws.