Skins and wax help!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
treehugger

Skins and wax help!

Post by treehugger » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:49 pm

Just started using wax and skins and have a few questions that I could use advice on:

Have been using mohair X-skins without waxing them. I got some gobstopper wax but can't get it to rub into skins as directed. Seams like it is really hard. Shouldn't I be able to just rub it on?

To hot wax skins do you melt and drip wax on just like on bases? Does it level out when applying iron? Isn't it hard to get even? I would think it would be better to rub on evenly and just use iron to get it to absorb. Can the heat ruin the glue?

Can skins be left on skis or should they be removed to dry. Will leaving them on skis effect adhesive?

Didn't want to ski on bare stintered bases and I didn't have any polar wax so I hot waxed with glide wax (except for pocket). I scraped all surface wax that didn't absorb and rewaxed. Blue special in the kick zone. This is super fast in cold snow but now want to try polar as a base to get better grip and hopefully expand range I can use wax. I scraped all surface wax and cleaned base with a scotch pad. Didn't use a base cleaner. Hot waxed in a couple layers of polar. Hoping glide wax was fully absorbed in base and won't cause polar to not bond. Was this an effective way to prep base or will glide wax create problems with kick wax bonding? I'm thinking the answer might be try it and see. Or maybe I should say try it and then put on skins. Skins are my savior!

As temps rise does it make sense to use green instead polar for base to achieve same results as polar in cold temps?

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Re: Skins and wax help!

Post by 1EyedJack » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Here is your friend: https://www.tognar.com/

Order their catalog. They have all the goods.
****And best of all, they have how-to-do regarding your bases-waxing-skins.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:04 pm

I can rub in Glopstopper by hand on skins with no problem, although I usually do two to three passes to fill in spots -- it does take firm hand pressure. Although I know of some folks that rub it in both with and against the grain, I usually rub it only with the grain of the skin.

Many use an iron with Glopstopper, but I would only use it with rubbed-on wax vs. melting wax on the skin -- because you can mess up the glue if you use too hot an iron on skins. Using a warm iron briefly with rubbed-on wax should be less likely to damage the glue vs. dripping on the wax and then trying to spread it around.

Also, you should not leave adhesive skins on skis for longer than necessary. Don't put them on ahead of time, e.g., at home before an hour drive to the trailhead, and don't leave them on after the tour -- take them off to dry. Otherwise, you may leave adhesive residue on the skis, and you may shorten the life of the skin glue.

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:52 am

Andy M wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:04 pm
I can rub in Glopstopper by hand on skins with no problem,

I would only use it with rubbed-on wax vs. melting wax on the skin --

Also, you should not leave adhesive skins on skis for longer than necessary and don't leave them on after the tour -
Thanks for the advice. Not sure why the Globstopper isn't rubbing in. Maybe just a bad batch? I'll try warming it up a bit and see if that works.

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:38 am

1EyedJack wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:53 pm
Here is your friend: https://www.tognar.com/

Order their catalog. They have all the goods.
****And best of all, they have how-to-do regarding your bases-waxing-skins.
Thanks I've checked it out. Lots of good tips and info. Knowledge is your friend!! My conflict, that I don't see addressed anywhere, is I wanted to saturate base with glide wax, which is recommended almost everywhere for quality bases, and that kick wax can't go over glide wax which is also well known. Using just Polar, I'm not sure it has the same absorption and conditioning properties as glide wax for promoting a quality base. Lilcliffy's wax guide makes a lot of sense for touring but is a unique approach that you won't find in guides from the manufacturers. This Saturday we're getting some fresh cold snow in which I should be able to use wax. I guess worst case the polar comes off base except for kick zone where I didn't risk putting glide wax.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:01 pm

you're wondering if leftover glide wax will interfere with applying polar or green?? Maybe...they'll probably just blend together. I would get something to clean the bases - either a ski base cleaner or just a bottle of "goo-gone" or other citrus cleaner. With rags from an old T-shirt these will take the wax off your bases very quickly.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)