Newbie seeking advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
upheeling
Ski style: Nordic touring with turns

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Post by upheeling » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 pm

I should add;
For nordic bc touring i am considering going to a with either leathers or alpina Alaskans with, I am thinking nnnbc as opposed to a light 3 pin cable binding. I have never used nnnbc so am not sure what to think.

As for the skis.... well I dont know much of what's out there but, thought a softer mid-wide ski?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:27 pm

For me, gear choice has to do with how hard I want to work. If I was on skinny double camber skis with light boots I would be compelled to ski faster and maintain a higher heart rate, more like trail running. When I'm skiing plastic boots I try to keep my heart rate down to not much over what it would be for a 3mph walking pace. On rolling terrain I get over 4mph with heavier gear, I'd probably get close to 6mph or better on lighter gear. So for me it comes down to weather I want to be "jogging" or "walking" out in the woods.

If you find a plastic boot there should be nothing wrong with those Tuas to get you started.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:27 pm

upheeling wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 pm
I should add;
For nordic bc touring i am considering going to a with either leathers or alpina Alaskans with, I am thinking nnnbc as opposed to a light 3 pin cable binding. I have never used nnnbc so am not sure what to think.

As for the skis.... well I dont know much of what's out there but, thought a softer mid-wide ski?
What are the bindings on your 2 pairs of Tuas? And what is your total budget (boots/bindings/skis)?

Man, I don't know your local environment, how much you prefer touring for the sake of touring (flats or hills) or actually touring for Tuuuurns. How skilled are you teleing? Wax or scales?

There are sooooo many ski, binding and boots options available these days at different prices. We are very fortunate.

The best I can do at the moment is recommend a new contemporary ski setup similar in intended use as the Tuas you own.

Maybe have a look at the Voile Objective, Asnes Rabb, Fischer S-Bound 112.
With a ski like that, for combined touring and turning, I'd go for the Voile 3pin cable/Traverse/3pin Harwire
Boot wise, Scarpa T4 or Excursion depending on fit.

But for touring, even touring for turns, I hardly ever take my plastic boot setups. I look to go light and sketch. Depending on snow conditions and general slope angle, from best/flattest to worst/steepest....I'd consider these:

-Fischer E99 / Asnes Gamme 54
-Asnes Nansen
-Asnes Ingstad
-Fisher S-Bound 98 (I have the older waxable Boundless)
-Asnes Falketind
-Madhsus Epoch/Annum
-Asnes Rabb

So many options, I am excluding so many just for the sake of brevity. I kept Rossignol skis out just cause I am not a big fan, but they are loads cheaper and readily available in Canada. If you want to consider the used market....a lot more options too!

Have you considered a basic 3 pin rat trap binding? Either the Rottafella Super Telemark or Voile Mountaineer?
They would allow you to use a variety of boots on and ski combinations.

Good new leather boots include Alpina Alaska, Alfa Skarvet/Greenland, Andrew Refugio, Crispi Antartic....

Man....give us more info.....!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

upheeling

Post by upheeling » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 pm

Great info guys, thanks.

After considering the feed back and doing some looking, I am considering for my lighter touring set a madshu epoch or annun or similar ski with waxable base, going with Alaskans and cable binding. I will watch the forum and see if anything along those lines come up for sale, if you have anything or know of some used ones for sale, let me know.

As for resort skiing, if I see some plastic boots come up for sale in my size 45/28.5 I will buy them and use with tuas on the hill.

Until then, I will keep using tuas and alpinas, they work!

Thanks for all the info everyone that is plenty for me to go on.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm

UP, unfortunately there is no such thing as a waxable epoch or annum, never has been.

For a waxable nordic backcountry ski in that width category, you are pretty much limited to the Asnes Rabb/Voile Objective. Something in that price range anyways.

Those old tuas and other skis of that era might do, but I would consider them tooo heavy myself.

If you plan on cables and Alaskas, stick to the Voile 3-pin cable. Cables can be hard on the feet with leather boots, so if you don't like the cables, the 3-pin cable binding gives you the option of removing them and going with pins alone.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

upheeling

Post by upheeling » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:57 am

I understand the madshus only come in waxless, thanks for suggestions on similar skis with waxless base as that's what I would prefer. Good call on the bindings, thanks.
Yes the tuas are definitely too heavy for what um at but, untill I get another setup I will keep using them.

Thanks again

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:45 am

Listen to "B"....If your into BC Nordic the two skis I would choose are the e99....e109....Asnes are what this forum likes but other than the old woodies in my shed have not skied any of the new and sounds like great Asnes selection...If your cruising the forest get Nordic equipment....Big wide skis are cool for the down but are oinks in the bush....Double camber is good for many reasons and when you elongate the ski and ride both as one long ski camber makes for speed which is needed for turns.....Your wax or bone pocket has little resistance making them faster....Have a blast!!!!!! TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:47 am

The other option, one I prefer for myself, is:
finding a pair of Alpine touring ski around 80 mm waist with a good base, about your height long, minimum of 26 m of radius, mounted with 3 pin cables... Used with Excursion, that is the perfection. Which one? ONE OUT OF MANY...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:07 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:47 am
The other option, one I prefer for myself, is:
finding a pair of Alpine touring ski around 80 mm waist with a good base, about your height long, minimum of 26 m of radius, mounted with 3 pin cables... Used with Excursion, that is the perfection. Which one? ONE OUT OF MANY...

Funny that you say that, one of my favorite skis of all time was an AT ski from the early 90s. An Atomic Tourcap Lite, it was around 70mm in the waste and was great with leather boots or plastic. I haven't seen any for sale for about twenty years though.

upheeling

Post by upheeling » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:43 am

Great advice, thanks!
greatgt wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:45 am
Listen to "B"....If your into BC Nordic the two skis I would choose are the e99....e109....Asnes are what this forum likes but other than the old woodies in my shed have not skied any of the new and sounds like great Asnes selection...If your cruising the forest get Nordic equipment....Big wide skis are cool for the down but are oinks in the bush....Double camber is good for many reasons and when you elongate the ski and ride both as one long ski camber makes for speed which is needed for turns.....Your wax or bone pocket has little resistance making them faster....Have a blast!!!!!! TM