Johnny, Pierre, and the beast. Or the new Telemark Tech Norm (TTN) vs the future of XCD (NTN-BC)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rainbow83
Ski style: XC racer learning Tele and exploring XCD
Favorite Skis: Current XCD/Tele Quiver includes: USGI Asnes MT65, Fischer Voodoo, K2 Super Stinx
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme

Re: Johnny, Pierre, and the beast. Or the new Telemark Tech Norm (TTN) vs the future of XCD (NTN-BC)

Post by Rainbow83 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 pm

Johnny, what's your source for the info on the Explorer binding coming out next season? Also do you think that the Explorer will be the binding system that we heard about briefly back in 2019? I seem to remember a lot of hype around that, but only very briefly. It would be pretty exciting if that's what they came out with next year.

Here's a thread from here, because it was the only place I could find the picture.
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2655

TeleMarcin

Re: Johnny, Pierre, and the beast. Or the new Telemark Tech Norm (TTN) vs the future of XCD (NTN-BC)

Post by TeleMarcin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:47 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how It looks :

https://scandinavianoutdooraward.com/al ... a-p-s-gtx/

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:33 am

Thanks for posting

So basically a mirrored tech system so you can't get stinky with it and have one component across many different frames (like the 75mm binding... today leather boots, tomorrow plastic ones, or one boot across many different skis, now you need two boots!). Why not just stick with the tech standard here like the original plan, to give maximum flexibility to the user on how they choose to use their gear? Oh well, Johnny you tried.

It could be more stable than NNN-BC, but without rails the boot sole has to be beefy enough to not twist laterally in the sole and off the plate, yet still remain enjoyable enough to flex forward. That's a tough combination to nail correctly.

+1 for the climbing bar.

It's like a magic pill: "The stability in the system .... improves the ski handling and makes you a better skier."

They talk about "sustainability" but they want you to BUY MORE THINGS

MOAR MOAR MOAR

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 am

Yeah, I agree with you... How could a sole alone (without rails or whatever) be supple and torsionally rigid at the same time... Could be, could be...

I like the pin system in the gutter; probably easier to deal with than the original dynafiddle...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:36 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:33 am
Thanks for posting

[img]https://scandinavianoutdooraward.com/wo ... alfa-4.jpg[/It could be more stable than NNN-BC, but without rails the boot sole has to be beefy enough to not twist laterally in the sole and off the plate, yet still remain enjoyable enough to flex forward. That's a tough combination to nail correctly.

+1 for the climbing bar.

It's like a magic pill: "The stability in the system .... improves the ski handling and makes you a better skier."

They talk about "sustainability" but they want you to BUY MORE THINGS

MOAR MOAR MOAR
First thing I noticed was no rails, I agree with your assessment Mr. Woodserson. The second thing I noticed was the climbing bar, definitely a +1.

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:13 pm

I'm also sort of confused by this and 100% agree that any boot stiff enough to take advantage of the perhaps more powerful tech-like toe will not have adequate flex to reasonably xc ski. NNN-BC rales are actually quite an effective way to transmit a "yaw" force when weighted. Racing NNN bindings also have rales on the heel plate which adds substantial control for parallel turns and skids (these get full of snow in untracked snow so I appreciate that they are not on BC bindings but miss the added control).

The boot maybe looks sort of cool but is heavier than the guard adv at twice the price?

I'm not terribly optimistic for this set up at improving my XCD experience. Maybe there is a use though?

That said, I'll also buy a few of those heel plates + riser. Hope those are sold separately!

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:28 pm

One section in the link mentions a "comfortable flex point in the sole". Maybe a two-piece mid-sole stiffening layer that has a gap at BOF to provide flex point while maintaining lateral stiffness?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Guys, I would not worry so much about the lack of a rail(s)...yet. The binding grip being more to the rear (than NNN-BC), I assume it will react much akin to a 3pin setup. We have no rails on 3pins and have lived quite happily as such for some time already. As long as the midsole is rigid enough (and this should be adaptable from one boot model to the next), I think we have a really cool concept here. One thing for sure this binding will allow for soles that are great for hiking! As global warming is in full swing, I can tell these guys are forward thinking! :shock:

My greatest worry is the protytpe Alfa Free boot upper and lacing system.
alfa-1.jpg
It sure is cool looking but it just does not look warm to me (again perhaps the forward thinking thing!). Can't wait to find out more. And the BOA lacing system? What if the device breaks or the cable gets slashed by our skis, can it be field repaired?

$$ Aside (is that 3X the cost of NNNBC/3Pin bindings and boots?!), I'm stocked. Bring it on! Rottefella, Alfa, please send me a pair!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm

What do you think the odds are of backward compatibility with NNN-BC mounting pattern? Think the (potentially) higher forces would till be satisfied by three under the toe bumper and one centre screw to the rear of the front section? Will be interesting to see.

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:04 pm

Wow it’s the most beautiful think I’ve ever seen! This boot/binding combinaison make so much sense on pretty much every perspective. It sucks I did not invent this system myself.

Reverse 2 pins
There is nothing I hate most than having my NNN BC boots clogged with snow when I step outside my car and walk to the trail. Having the male part of the mecanism on the boot and the female mecanism on the binding is pure genius. The binding will less likely be clogged with snow than your boots.

Boot sole
Since the mecanism is on the side, you can walk in the parking lot with your boot on ou even hive section of a trail that is not suitable for cross country skiing with your boots on without any fear of damaging the cross bar. The sole is probably going to be very sturdy from what its looks.

No moving parts
Unlike the conventional 2 pins systems, there is no cantilever on this binding other than the front lever. I doesn’t only reduce the weight but also increase durability.

Climbing bars
Climbing bars have been added by some die hard XCD skier on regular NNN BC for years. Still no commercial bindings have this feature yet.

Boa lacing system
Some like their boots tight, some like them loose, some like them loose while climbing and tight on the way down. It’s always challenging to play around with the thighness of your boots during a ride. BOA lacing will speed up that process and from what its looks, the lower and upper lace are independent; which mean you could thigh up the upper part and loose the lower part at the same time.

The only downside I see is that they did not include any system to play around with the position o the binding on the ski....

Where do we pre-order?