Tele bindings on Objectives, consensus?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
spopepro

Re: Tele bindings on Objectives, consensus?

Post by spopepro » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Yeah, I think they're a great in-bounds ski. I like them better in-bounds than my V6s even though my objectives have a patterned base which is less than ideal for lift service. I find them to be just fine even on hard snow and ice... as long as it's a relatively uniform surface. Bumpy ice and tracked crust are when I end up thinking I should have made other choices.

I probably ski them most often with T2s and no cables. Maybe a silly way to do it, but I feel like I can take that combo *anywhere*. It is maybe worth mentioning that the ski in my avatar is not my ski--it was someone else on a trip to ski down to an ice climbing crag where his ski just snapped. Three pins and objectives were sweet for that trip... the uber-light at gear let us down. We, uh, still didn't make it out before dark. I learned that day (er, night) that I *could* ski in-bounds black diamond full ice moguls with a 25lbs pack in the dark. And I can claim that I did it beautifully because it was too dark for anyone to see anything other than my headlamp bouncing around.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Ok, thanks for the info, I guess I really didnt know exactly why they didnt want tele bindings on them. I figured a couple bindings pulled and then the "suits" got involved.
Didnt know how widespread it was. Kind of weird that Voile, of all companies wouldn't want tele bindings on their skis.
Hopefully with 6 screws everything will be fine

I think Im going for them, it'll be good for me to try something other than Fischer nordic skis... :D The question is, do I risk waiting for another markdown on them in the coming weeks or camp out by the shop's front door till tomorrow morning....
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

12gaugesage

Post by 12gaugesage » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:42 pm

spopepro wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:06 pm
Yeah, I think they're a great in-bounds ski. I like them better in-bounds than my V6s even though my objectives have a patterned base which is less than ideal for lift service. I find them to be just fine even on hard snow and ice... as long as it's a relatively uniform surface. Bumpy ice and tracked crust are when I end up thinking I should have made other choices.

I probably ski them most often with T2s and no cables. Maybe a silly way to do it, but I feel like I can take that combo *anywhere*. It is maybe worth mentioning that the ski in my avatar is not my ski--it was someone else on a trip to ski down to an ice climbing crag where his ski just snapped. Three pins and objectives were sweet for that trip... the uber-light at gear let us down. We, uh, still didn't make it out before dark. I learned that day (er, night) that I *could* ski in-bounds black diamond full ice moguls with a 25lbs pack in the dark. And I can claim that I did it beautifully because it was too dark for anyone to see anything other than my headlamp bouncing around.
Cool, I'm not charging down a frozen waterfall or anything, but frozen/crusty conditions are pretty common around here. Sounds like youre probably more adventurous than me so I should be good. ;) Are\were you in the US?
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

12gaugesage

Post by 12gaugesage » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:49 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm
Dude I ride my Objectives with T4s, no prob, in the bumps, etc. Voile hardwires with the big riser plate. Great combo for the Sherb! If we can coordinate you can always borrow mine for a look-see.

Not my favorite hard snow ski, they are light and kind of soft and I find them chattery when on edge on hard snow in steeper terrain... That combo

When I talked to Voile the primary culprits were X2s and big boots, basically powerful setups. Not an insurance thing, people were pulling out of the hyper construction skis.
I still haven't hit the sherburne yet, I think Im ready though...Ive been on an XC kick this year, slacking on the BC.... conditions have been spotty.

Im surprised that every one says they're iffy in hard conditions, they seem much stiffer to me than sbounds. I suppose its all relative
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:33 pm

"Im surprised that every one says they're iffy in hard conditions, they seem much stiffer to me than sbounds. I suppose its all relative"

There's relativity involved, for sure. One of the beautiful things about the Objective is it's very light weight, enhanced with a nice flex and pretty nice torsional stiffness. That light a ski will never shine on boilerplate/hardpack, or crud. I never took physics, but I think it's physics. Bigger guns for those conditions.

12gaugesage

Post by 12gaugesage » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks for the info, as always.
Rolled the dice, waited it out and snapped'em up for $417! Figured it wasn't like I was missing any spectacular conditions anyway, waiting saved me some $$$$.
Gonna try to mount my bindings today, hopefully ski tomorrow... Barring a coronavirus induced dystopian lockdown of course.
KIMG1759.JPG

Having them home and really getting to fondle them, I can get a better feel for just how different they are from my Nordic derived ski's.
Much more structure to them, no flimsiness, can't twist the tips.
I think I comprehend the problem on harder surfaces better. A relatively stiff ski isn't going to be able to flex with terrain and absorb the energy, and being light, the energy will dissipate through "chatter".
My SBounds chatter too, but it's more like a long low frequency wave, and sometimes the ruts and half frozen piles and lumps really smack them around.

Overthinking and ranting... Nordic BC quiver complete, time to start looking for a pure resort oriented tele ski.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie