Uh-oh... pinholes ripped on my Alaskas

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Uh-oh... pinholes ripped on my Alaskas

Post by greatgt » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:24 am

Thinking "B" is right on....Good luck "P"...TM

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Smile pates work when you have enlarged holes /chewed up rubber around the holes. But if you have a tear across through all three holes, I doubt they are going to help. Your description sounds lke that might be what you have?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:46 pm

The tear is not across the three holes, it is from each hole forward. I had a better look at the situation today, and what is apparent at this point is that the problem is with the compatibility of the Spikes with something other than a plastic boot. I was aware of the possibility when I got 'em; I checked the fit carefully on the bench along with the owner of BMD (he lives nearby, is an avid skier, and a good guy), and we both saw the fit looked good. But now it doesn't.... there is a gap between the sole of the boot and the binding (vertically), affirming my sense that the pins tore forward... not enough depth into the holes, though the clip was crisp and solid.

I grabbed my Alico, full leather Norwegian welted boots and clipped in... same result. Merrill full leathers... same result. Scott Excursions... no problem.

Looking like no Alaska/Objective match for me at this point, I'd rather keep the Spikes on 'em and wear the Excursions. I can probably still use the Alaska's on my (OLS school) XCD-GT's with Chouinard 3 pins (I'll check that later this evening, the fit may be solid enough to negate the tear issue (it's not catastrophic, but not viable with the Spikes).

I'd like to be clear that I have no blame or bad feelings towards any of the companies or components; I guess it was a borderline compatibility that went south. First World problem; I skill have boots, skis, and bindings aplenty.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:00 pm

phoenix wrote:The tear is not across the three holes, it is from each hole forward. I had a better look at the situation today, and what is apparent at this point is that the problem is with the compatibility of the Spikes with something other than a plastic boot. I was aware of the possibility when I got 'em; I checked the fit carefully on the bench along with the owner of BMD (he lives nearby, is an avid skier, and a good guy), and we both saw the fit looked good. But now it doesn't.... there is a gap between the sole of the boot and the binding (vertically), affirming my sense that the pins tore forward... not enough depth into the holes, though the clip was crisp and solid.

I grabbed my Alico, full leather Norwegian welted boots and clipped in... same result. Merrill full leathers... same result. Scott Excursions... no problem.

Looking like no Alaska/Objective match for me at this point, I'd rather keep the Spikes on 'em and wear the Excursions. I can probably still use the Alaska's on my (OLS school) XCD-GT's with Chouinard 3 pins (I'll check that later this evening, the fit may be solid enough to negate the tear issue (it's not catastrophic, but not viable with the Spikes).

I'd like to be clear that I have no blame or bad feelings towards any of the companies or components; I guess it was a borderline compatibility that went south. First World problem; I skill have boots, skis, and bindings aplenty.
Thanks for the feedback. This issue I knew about and was what I was alluding to in my first post here.

Rod, think we noticed that on your spikies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:23 pm

I usually ski my Spike with the heel retainer... But I ski my Tele bulldog with a plastic boot with pins and smile plates (BD Boots).

There is a little clear plastic spacer that can fit underneath the plate pins; it could help to snap tightly the duckbill. You will have to ask Louis about this... He probably has some in stock...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 am

I bought the very last batch of the original Voile Smiley plates some 10 years ago... 8-)
It's incredible how much more power they can give to any thin molded sole...

I had the same problem with my Spikes and alaskas... I met Louis in person too, he tried to fix it with shims and different plates... No luck... :cry:
bgregoire wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:34 am
I'm not sure the Smilies will work on a thermomlded boot sole. Its just rubber and a metal insert. On the welted boots, I think the smilies screws would bite into a layer of harder plastic or rubber that provided the rigitidy of its sole.
It's exactly what the smileys are made for... To give more power to thin duckbills... I put smileys on my first pairs of Alaskas... They were a lot more fun after the operation... Never had any problems... Just add a few drops of epoxy if you're anxious... And make sure to countersunk the plates with a dremel...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Smile pates will definitely do the deed if your pins have carved channels out to the toe as you describe. Back in the day I installed a few pair; I worked in a ski shop and I built a router jig for it. clamp the boot in, and one pass with the router left a perfect smile at just the right depth. If there is a plate buried up in the rubber as there should be, then a tiny predrill will allow the baby sheet metal screws to bite into the buried metal plate.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 am

paulzo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm
and I built a router jig for it. clamp the boot in, and one pass with the router left a perfect smile at just the right depth.
BRILLIANT!!!
My next project on the list...!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."