X-Skin, Access Skin Questions

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

X-Skin, Access Skin Questions

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Hello guys my first question is something that has not been discussed as of yet. The second has and I hope you guys will save me from the search function.
I have a pair of Gamme 54 and Falketind 62, but only one 45 mm mohair X-skin. The stock X-skin comes right to the back of the heel on the FT, however goes behind the heel on the Gamme. I went out on the Gamme last weekend and slipped badly on blue wax. I decided to try the X-skin. The skin was not waxed, and extended about 2” beyond the heel. Glide was zero. I took them off after 20 feet and waxed red/silver which the Gamme really seems to like.
First question, since the X-skim was unusable in a XC manner on the Gamme would you guys recommend cutting it to suit the Gamme, and hope I have enough grip on the FT should I want to use the X-skin on the FT should the need arise?
Also how do you guys wax these skins??? Hopefully somebody has a method using glide wax. I am planning on bringing the Tindan out in BC snow. The glide I had on the Gamme was worse than what I get on my wood snow shoes.
Thank you, I apologize for not paying better attention.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: X-Skin, Access Skin Questions

Post by Woodserson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 pm

I use my 30mm mohairs all the time on my Game and they are the bees knees.

Question here is probably width. You may need two skins trimmed for each ski. :|

The wax is more for keeping them from soaking up water, not necessarily glide though that's a small side effect. Black Diamond makes a soft skin wax. Rub it on.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

I used 30mm mohair Xskins on the FT62 with great success. They worked better than the Pomoca 40mm race pro (untrimmed...I may shorten them later).

Following the advice from skimo racers:

I hot wax Colltex skin wax on it. I rub the wax on and then use a very cool iron and make 1 pass.

it works great.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:17 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:23 pm
Hello guys my first question is something that has not been discussed as of yet. The second has and I hope you guys will save me from the search function.
I have a pair of Gamme 54 and Falketind 62, but only one 45 mm mohair X-skin. The stock X-skin comes right to the back of the heel on the FT, however goes behind the heel on the Gamme. I went out on the Gamme last weekend and slipped badly on blue wax. I decided to try the X-skin. The skin was not waxed, and extended about 2” beyond the heel. Glide was zero. I took them off after 20 feet and waxed red/silver which the Gamme really seems to like.
First question, since the X-skim was unusable in a XC manner on the Gamme would you guys recommend cutting it to suit the Gamme, and hope I have enough grip on the FT should I want to use the X-skin on the FT should the need arise?
Also how do you guys wax these skins??? Hopefully somebody has a method using glide wax. I am planning on bringing the Tindan out in BC snow. The glide I had on the Gamme was worse than what I get on my wood snow shoes.
Thank you, I apologize for not paying better attention.
Huh...
I shall have to check/compare...
I do have my 45mm mohair trimmed to my "heel"...I think that is on my Gamme 54- I assumed it was the same length on all three of my core touring skis (Gamme 54 BC/Ingstad BC/Falketind 62)- I had not considered or noticed that the length from heel to the skin-attachment point was different on these three skis... :oops:

I have yet to try 30mm mohair on the Gamme 54...

My experience on the Gamme- trimming to the heel makes a big difference.
What was the snow like? Temperature? Fresh/old/refrozen? Warm, heavy and wet- and if so- warming up and actively melting (i.e. sticky)- or saturated and wet (i.e slippery)?

With actively melting, fresh snow- I find I get poor glide with the skin- better with red-silver or klister (and I find scales suck here as well because the snow has no stability)- was on this snow yesterday afternoon as 30cm of cold fresh snow started actively melting in the pm as the temp rose from -15C in the am to +6C in the mid afternoon(!!!!!).

With wet and slippery, water-saturated snow- I find even the 45mm mohair on the 54mm Gamme glides and grips VERY well- at least as good as scales- I think even better compared to my E-99 Crown Xtralite...(Where the E-99 Crown shines for me as on consolidated spring corn.)
I use Black Diamond "Glop Stopper" skin wax on all of my touring skins.
I have not hot-waxed a climbing skin since my days of big-mtn touring in the 90s.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:20 pm

it sounds like the 45m mohair should be left intact for the FT and a narrower pair purchased for the Gamme and trimmed back to the heel. It definitely works, I"ve got a 35mm nylon pair trimmed for the Gamme and also using full-length 30mm mohair skins on Gamme and MT51 with good glide. You can break out the 45mm mohair on the Gamme if you need to climb something.

I've got Nikwax skin-treatment stuff to improve glide - also rubbing a bar of regular yellow glide wax on the skins seems to work just as well.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)