Skiing year round

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Reckie4life

Re: Skiing year round

Post by Reckie4life » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:57 pm

I was thinking about trying to use roller skis with the skate trucks. My concern is the roller skis flex enough. I'm thinking skis will flex too much.

My ideal concrete ski would be something that climbs up hill and that carves down, and is all-terrain. I know I want it all.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 am

My ideal concrete ski would be something that climbs up hill and that carves down, and is all-terrain
I don't think it's impossible... That was my plan too... I have some interesting ideas... : )

My main concern is finding the right length, and the right mounting position for such a short ski... It doesn't matter much on a 185cm ski, but on a 50-80cm one, it's gonna be tricky to find the right spot for both feet...

Let me gather some parts and I'll be back with something...!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Reckie4life

Post by Reckie4life » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:32 am

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Woooaaah... That's kind of cool...! (Or is it?)

It looks freakin heavy tough... And those front wheels... Wooouh... They look like a total nightmare to control...!!

Very interesting... But the idea is weird... Too many wheels... Looks like... I dunno... Some mad science stuff...

Well, it's exactly what I had in mind, except for those funny front wheels... And I wouldn't lift the back of the ski in order to turn, might interfere with the tele stance...

Is it me or it looks like tele boots inside snowboard bindings? Geez, just looking at it makes me uncomfortable...

We'd better quick if we wanna get the patent before they do...!!!

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Mon May 15, 2023 3:54 pm

summer 2017 issue
endless winter
The College captures the first patent for asphalt skis. https://magazine.lafayette.edu/summer20 ... ss-winter/

I could not find a patent number.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Mon May 15, 2023 8:17 pm

TallGrass wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 3:54 pm
summer 2017 issue
endless winter
The College captures the first patent for asphalt skis.

I could not find a patent number.
Awesome! And exactly what I had in mind back then!
I bought several pairs of kids skis to build a few prototypes some 10 years ago... But never finished any... :?

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Thu May 18, 2023 12:02 am

@Bavarian Cream Shows you can ski in Summer! You just need to come to Colorado. I’ve seen sand loaded on leeward hillsides between Vegas and L.A. that might work too.

Here is another from YT…. And he has a patent.

Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu May 18, 2023 12:15 pm

roller skiing up Beartooth Pass last fall. I have speed-reducers on the skis, but its not enough to make descending the pass safe. maybe I could drag a tire or something behind me?
beartooth.jpg

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Thu May 18, 2023 4:59 pm

bauerb wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 12:15 pm
roller skiing up Beartooth Pass last fall. I have speed-reducers on the skis, but its not enough to make descending the pass safe. maybe I could drag a tire or something behind me?
You didn’t want to do a Walter Mitty?
IMG_0618.jpeg
I wonder how those inlines would do on some hairpin turns? This road is closed until Memorial weekend…. And I picked up a used pair a few weeks ago, just need to switch the bindings for some 3pins.

IMG_0617.png

It was a bitch going up on the bike…
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri May 19, 2023 11:25 am

looks similar to bear tooth pass where I roller ski. it opens next weekend....and Beartooth Basin ski area opens next weekend...so roller-ski up with now gear on your back, do some snow ski laps, and roller ski down.
Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 9.23.37 AM.png