It's XCd. Case closed.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
oldschool47

Re: It's XCd. Case closed.

Post by oldschool47 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:26 pm

This guy is cool. Skis, powder gaiters, hat, jacket. I want to be this guy. I assume it's Brad English.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:46 pm

You're slipping. It's Doug Buzzell.

Jeeeeesh

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:48 pm

bauerb wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 pm

now, with my NTN setup at lift serve areas, I'm pretty sure I am simply Telemark skiing.
Negative, you are MISN. (as in missin' out, booya)

Modern Interpretation of Sondre Norheim

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm

uh, expect for the beard, that dude looks like me in the early 80s. flappy ear hat? check. Gaiters? check. Pointy skis? check. scandinavian sweater? check. glacier glasses? check. I don't think I did the flap-your-arms-like-a-bird thing though.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:55 pm

bauerb wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm
uh, expect for the beard, that dude looks like me in the early 80s. flappy ear hat? check. Gaiters? check. Pointy skis? check. scandinavian sweater? check. glacier glasses? check. I don't think I did the flap-your-arms-like-a-bird thing though.
Of course you did, you flapped superhard, but you were young and don't remember these sordid, cringe-worthy details.

Hell I still armflap. Sometimes with pride!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:55 pm
bauerb wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm
Of course you did, you flapped superhard, but you were young and don't remember these sordid, cringe-worthy details.

Hell I still armflap. Sometimes with pride!
It depends how long Bauerb's poles were back in the day. If they were long, he was flapping. IMO you can ski your whole life and if your poles are too long you'll never get it right.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 am
IMO you can ski your whole life and if your poles are too long you'll never get it right.
This! I couldn't agree more. With the invention of adjustable pole there's no excuse. Somehow people still can't figure it out.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:05 pm

I'm not sure I'm clear on the subject here (which is not unusual), but a little perspective...
Bill Briggs skied the Grand Teton in the 60's on skinnies & leather slippers. My first time XC-whatever was in the mid 70's, (too) long skinny skis & leather slippers... a few of us rode up the last tram at Snowbird and skied (mostly upright) a black diamond run off the top. I wasn't feeling too superior to anyone, but I still remember the high fun factor. It's a wonder I remember it at all, given the heavily mind-altered state we were in at the time. Been lovin' it ever since.

And, finally, especially in these terriblely divisive times, I don't need to feel righteous about what I can free heel on what gear, just glad to be doing it.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 pm

I was a nordic racer in the 80's, of course my alpine poles were way too long, plus I bought stuff like that at the local high school ski swap in the fall. we bought stuff that was cheap, even if the size was not ideal.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm

phoenix wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:05 pm
Bill Briggs skied the Grand Teton in the 60's on skinnies & leather slippers.
Minor correction: Bill Briggs skied the Grand on June 15, 1971. Don't know about the boots, but he was on 210cm Fischer Elites.