Advice on Lift service set up

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Young-Grizz
Ski style: Kicking around the woods and hoping for the best

Advice on Lift service set up

Post by Young-Grizz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Hey everyone,

This winter’s inconsistent snow has got me considering putting together a set up for a little lift service skiing to get a more skiing in. On my xcd setup (Madshus epoch 195s, Voile cable bindings, and medium duty backcountry touring boots) I’ve progressed enough to feel comfortable taking on easy/moderate slopes in good snow conditions. I want to keep the feeling of light gear as much as possible, but I assume I’m gunna need slightly beefier gear for navigating east coast groomers

My questions are; what is the lightest boot recommendable for easy lift service skiing? I have a pair of Merrell Fuzions, would those be doable?

And as for skis could I get away with buying a pair of alpine skis from the thrift store and mounting them with cable bindings? If so, what should I look for?

Should I invest in a release plate?

Any general advice for this kind of skiing is gladly welcomed!

Thanks,

Grizz

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Re: Advice on Lift service set up

Post by MSU Alum » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:50 pm

Are Merrell Fuzions more boot than what you're using for backcountry?
It's very difficult to make recommendations just because people's preferences are so varied.

If conditions are good, could you just go to the ski area and try your current set up? If nothing else, maybe that would set a minimum for what you need. If it's fun, you're set. If you're completely miserable, maybe it'll give you a baseline as to how much of an upgrade you need or want.

I'm not familiar with the Fuzions, but when I googled them, they didn't look like they'd be fun in the application you want. I think if you could find some used plastic three buckle boots, you could have a better time with used skis and lighter bindings.

I started out on Garmont Synergy 3 buckle + G3 bindings on 78mm skis (World Piste) and that was plenty for quite a while at the ski area. You could get by with less, of course, but how much less is up to you.

Personally, I don't worry about release, especially for the application you describe.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:02 pm

I learned to Tele VT hard-pack using 210 XC racing skis and boots. I don't recommend it.
for hardpack, I like my Rossi Sick Birds. lots of sidecut, not super crazy wide. more sidecut = better turning on ice/hard pack.

I personally prefer super stiff boots and bindings like my Crispi's and Bomber Bishops.

if you are just learning, shorter is better.

Young-Grizz

Post by Young-Grizz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm

MSU Alum wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:50 pm
Are Merrell Fuzions more boot than what you're using for backcountry
To answer this, yeah they’re much stiffer in the sole and cuff. I guess just giving them a try is the best way to find out.

I did also find an old pair of scarpa t2s at a thrift store, they’re pretty thrashed but maybe I should give them another look.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:26 pm

If you want to stay as light and keep things simple, you could try your Fusion's with, perhaps, a decent used tele ski, with bindings if you want them. Personally, I'd go this route rather than mess with the alpine skis; all this keeping in consideration that you'll be skiing easy/moderate terrain at the resort with it. You could go to an all plastic boot if you find the Fusion's are not enough boot; from what I recall of them they were more solid than they appeared.

You could mess around with the Epoch's on piste, but I think you'd find a reliable, smooth based tele ski would be worth picking up. Craigslist's, in the well known ski areas (Colorado Rockies, VT, NH, SLC, to name but a few) are loaded with tele gear, usually for very cheap. If it's not local, I just ask the seller if they'd be willing to ship, and work out the cost.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:03 pm

If I were you, I would give the Merrells a try with the Epochs at the ski area before you invest in any gear -- it might work fine for you for occasional, easy lift-served skiing. Many years ago, before plastic tele boots, my everyday area ski boot was a 2-buckle leather boot similar to the Fusion. And they worked great with the long and skinny tele skis at the time, usually 200cm with a waist from 55 to 65. I skied everything with them -- note that this was in western U.S. conditions, but still, as long as you pick a softer day to try them out, it should give you a feel for how they will do.

I wouldn't recommend trying the Merrells in the "alpine ski from the thrift store" scenario. For that, you should look for a deal on some T4s or T2s. A used ski like MSU Alum mentions, the K2 World Piste with some cable bindings, can often be found cheap and would be a good fit with lighter plastic tele boots.

Young-Grizz

Post by Young-Grizz » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:04 pm

I really appreciate all the advice so far!

I've been shopping around on craigslist, facebook market place, and at some of the thrift stores that I know usually have old tele gear to see if I can find any of the recommendations given so far.

I found a pair of Karhu outbounds with Rottefella 412s. They were only 10$ so I picked 'em up, but with that in mind are there any bindings I should avoid? or any that I should look for specifically?

Thanks again

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:26 pm

I hve skied leather extremes, and leather alpnias, since 1988 on east coast piste, including Stowe, Killington, Sugerbush and Mad River. I usually end up side slipping when it is just ice. I use 3-pin with cables (springs); and safety. Straps ( got to have them to get on the lift, although I have never had a ski come off). I have used K-2s, Rossi’s and many other skis, but my favorates are the Tua Razors. Sharp edges are a must if you ski on-piste, but narrow waist skis (narrower than your boots) wiil “boot out” and slid on hard pack or ice on a shrp trun if you dont have “lifters” (we used Teflon 5/8” slabs sliced from cutting boards below the bindings and boots so we could carve a sharper turn..
Save your money for boots (a good fit is essential for a happy ride0, and try the bargain skis; is my suggestion.
Ride on!

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Young-Grizz wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:04 pm
I found a pair of Karhu outbounds with Rottefella 412s. They were only 10$ so I picked 'em up, but with that in mind are there any bindings I should avoid? or any that I should look for specifically?
That's a decent find -- I never used the 412s, but they should be OK. Check the cables to make sure there are no big cuts from ski edges, no cable fraying, etc., and check the baseplates for any hairline cracks.