Need to replace my skis...and fast!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
gnalneb
Ski style: Tele turns ALL over the mountain
Favorite Skis: K2 World Piste
Favorite boots: Garmont Syner-G 3 buckle

Need to replace my skis...and fast!

Post by gnalneb » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Hey All,
I'm new to this forum, but I need some advice - I was out this weekend with my kids at The LUV in Colorado and my old K2 World Piste skis finally gave up the ghost....my G3 Targa binding on the right ski had the screws pull out of the ski base-plate when I was navigating some bumps on a steep section...not a fun feeling I can tell you.

Thankfully I was able to make it down, but there's no saving these skis as the holes are completely stripped out :-(

So consequently I've been looking at Craigslist to find something (anything) to get me back on the slopes ASAP.

My World Piste skis were 174cm and they been excellent - I'm 5'7" and about 220lbs - and I've been thinking if I ever got new skis I'd like something that floated a bit better given how solid I am (albeit short).

Can I get any recommendations for an all around mountain ski? I ski everything from the groomers with my kiddos, to the bumps, to the trees, to steeps and powder off the Ridge at Loveland - so I want a ski that can do it all pretty well. In CO we generally have pretty good soft snow.

I don't know anything about ski width/length/rocker, etc... with all the new equipment either, so I' feel pretty lost at sea trying to figure out how to proceed.

Finally, on Craigslist I found a set of 174cm Rossi BC Sprayer skis...the guy is letting them go for $100 OBO, so I figured, for (possibly) less than $100 I could at least have something to ski on....Any thoughts on this?

I also found someone selling a set of (he says) "mint" World Piste skis at 188cm - I'm REALLY tempted, but the length concerns me...after being on 174cm, would this be too long, or is thing going to give me the float I crave? it's *only* another 4.7 inches really...that doesn't seem too much longer....

Or should I bite the bullet and see about just getting a more modern rig? Again, advice appreciated....

Anyway, thanks all!
BEN

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Re: Need to replace my skis...and fast!

Post by MSU Alum » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:42 pm

I see new Rossignol Seek 7 HD skis on sale for $249.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/rossign ... UNEALw_wcB

At 86 underfoot with pretty good side cut, even in a 176 you would have significantly better float than on the World Piste. For comparison, I went from the World Piste to the Work Stinx at 88 underfoot and the difference in flotation at the same length was noticeable.

If you went with a slightly more active binding (such as Hammerheads) than the G3 and have a 3 buckle boot along the lines of a Scarpa T2 Eco - for example - you could certainly drive a 88-92mm underfoot ski in Colorado conditions.

Freeheellife in Salt Lake has used gear as well:
https://www.freeheellife.com/collection ... ngs-used-1

These 188 cm skis are 92 underfoot with Hammerheads for $289. That seems a bit long for you, but they have other deals.

I went from World Pistes, to Work Stinx to Rossi S3's and then on from there. If you aren't on a super tight budget, I'd seriously consider getting a more modern set up, but more importantly, something in a length that you're comfortable with. I think 188 World Pistes would be a compromise, even at your weight.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:33 pm

If the ski has not delaminates you could screw both bindings 1cm above or below the old pattern. That should get you going cheap and easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Schusskabob
Ski style: Back country tours & turns/track & tele
Favorite Skis: BD Aspect, Asnes FT68, Madshus Glittertind, G3 Rapid Transit, Volkl T Rock, Fischer Superlite
Favorite boots: old blue T2, T2 Eco, brown T3, Crispi Antarctic

Post by Schusskabob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:06 pm

Where in Colo are you? I have a pair of World Piste in 174 that I haven't used in years. These are red with the K2 threaded inserts, good condition. I'm in Boulder. $100 sound okay?

Bob

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:49 am

Get something with some tip and tail rocker and in between 85-95mm waist. The game has changed, c'mon in the water is just fine!

gnalneb
Ski style: Tele turns ALL over the mountain
Favorite Skis: K2 World Piste
Favorite boots: Garmont Syner-G 3 buckle

Post by gnalneb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:41 am

Schusskabob wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:06 pm
Where in Colo are you? I have a pair of World Piste in 174 that I haven't used in years. These are red with the K2 threaded inserts, good condition. I'm in Boulder. $100 sound okay?

Bob
I'd definitely be interested...that would get me back up on the mountain at a budget price and give me time to save up for a modern rig as per Wooderson's advice.

I'm in Thornton, so it would be easy to meet up.

BEN