Asnes USGI skis/bindings/boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Asnes USGI skis/bindings/boots

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:31 pm
rongon wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:00 am
I'm not in the loop, but it looks like a company named Serket USA partnered with Icelantic to provide skis and has come up with a 'universal' binding to supply the USMC.
Nice find Rongon... Absolutely beautiful military Iceland skis...
Price is a bit steep at 800$ for 7.5lbs planks though... I guess it's a good deal for taxpayers... 8-)
They will never catch up to me with those!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fgd135
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Re: Asnes USGI skis/bindings/boots

Post by fgd135 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Those Intrepid Scout Military Skis appear to be Icelantic Nomads with a white top sheet and a bit more camber underfoot. If so, those are pretty nice BC skis--I ski on the Pioneer 96 with Voile Switchback X2's--for lifts and steeper bc skiing, with plastic tele boots... Don't know if it's exactly the same, however, I'll walk over to Icelantic's HQ in the next couple of days and ask.
Awfully wide ski to try and edge with mickey mouse or bunny boots, but maybe the combination of the very short skis and plate bindings will add some lateral support. Those bindings appear to be a slight re-design of older plate AT bindings, with snowboard cuffs added. That's certainly OK if they work.
I see that you, too, can buy a pair from one commercial reseller(?) for only $825US a pair, and only $850US for the bindings.