Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 am

Johnny wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 pm
Have you ever thought that you can ski with finesse and grace with heavier boots and still have good "feel" for the snow?
If I ever thought about it??? I spent years searching for the ultimate XCD experience... I tried every possible combination of boots, bindings and exotic skis. Alas, none of them compares to the unique feeling that only NNN-BC and leathers can provide me. I have never experienced that sense of bliss on any other systems and combinations. I'm not saying that you can't have some kind of fun with your heavy artillery... Only for me, I think that life is too short and too precious to not enjoy XCD at its fullest expression...

Maybe the reason you don't get the same sense of bliss with all your gear is because, as you stated earlier, you feel they are two different sports with different techniques. It's all the same sport and techniques to me.
I get a more responsive, more precise carving better controlled ski. I get more out of every hill with T4s and generally ski it better. I also have more confidence that the ski is going to do exactly what I expect and don't have to worry about it getting deflected.
You are right, those T4s and Excursions that I hate so much give you much more control. But sadly, only 1/100th of the feeling. What is it with that control obsession anyway? Why the need for "confidence", "worry" and "control" in your ski concept? What are you afraid of??? What is it that you fear so much, to the point of strangling your feet in a plastic contraceptive and turn the holy XCD experience into a bland orthodox one? :D

Maybe the reason you aren't getting the feel with heavy gear is that you aren't skiing it with finesse.
My T4s are the most comfortable best fitting boot I've had and because of the low cuff they have the same ROM as my merrill ultras and are skied with the same body position but they have the edge control of plastic. To me it's the best of both worlds.

Fear? How about getting injured? Not being able to do the things I love, not being able to work, and generally I don't like pain.

“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”
-Master Yoda (And Gareth too...)
Fear is a desire fore self preservation for me. I never saw Star Wars but I doubt I would go there for a philosophy on life.

Lo-Fi wrote: I love my 78mm waisted Guide skis, and my 98mm waisted Koms. I'm just not sure the Koms are the most appropriate XCD match to the Magnums and Alaskas.
Just to stir it up... My good old Armada planks, which are my all time favorite NNN-BC downhill skis, are 100mm underfoot... :lol:
freeheelwilly wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:43 pm
What some call "finesse and grace", others call spastic flailing.
Please do not confuse "finesse and grace" with what some call "arcing" and "monomark"... It has nothing to do with it...

freeheelwilly

Post by freeheelwilly » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:41 pm

??? Why did you just quote, without any additional comment, the post of another person?

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:29 pm

I know it's confusing but my new comments are in there.

freeheelwilly

Post by freeheelwilly » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:46 pm

You suck at the internet ;)

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 pm

Hey, I've only been at it since 2005.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:29 pm

The more I do this, the more I see Lowangle’s perspective. I also a have seen some of Johnny’s NNN videos from a couple years past. From watching Johnny’s videos I see where he is coming from. However as I am nearing sixty in about a year and a half, I must reluctantly admit that I am losing athleticism. It wasn’t many years ago that I wiped out on my mountain bike. I rolled head over heels straight for a Boulder at 20-25 mph. I found my feet, leaped over it, rolled again for another 10-15 yards and ended up on my feet running downhill. My buddy behind me was puking his guts out, he said he thought he was watching my death. Last year I hurt myself twice catching a tip on a black run. Fifteen years ago I would have said such a thing happening to me would not be possible.
My point is you can ski with finesse both ways. Although for me if I’m on my NNN-BC gear, conditions better very gear conducive. I think conditions may generally better in the Laurentians.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Low Angle Al's comments, at least the ones I could find, are below.
Maybe the reason you don't get the same sense of bliss with all your gear is because, as you stated earlier, you feel they are two different sports with different techniques. It's all the same sport and techniques to me.
I get a more responsive, more precise carving better controlled ski. I get more out of every hill with T4s and generally ski it better. I also have more confidence that the ski is going to do exactly what I expect and don't have to worry about it getting deflected.

Maybe the reason you aren't getting the feel with heavy gear is that you aren't skiing it with finesse.
My T4s are the most comfortable best fitting boot I've had and because of the low cuff they have the same ROM as my merrill ultras and are skied with the same body position but they have the edge control of plastic. To me it's the best of both worlds.

Fear? How about getting injured? Not being able to do the things I love, not being able to work, and generally I don't like pain.

Fear is a desire fore self preservation for me. I never saw Star Wars but I doubt I would go there for a philosophy on life.
And Al, chrissake, go watch Star Wars... 4, 5, 6.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 am

Thanks Woods.

I did take a date to the original Star Wars but she had a coughing spell and we had to leave. I saw enough to know that I was unimpressed with special effects and not enough to get hooked on the story. I think SW is one of those things that will pass me by in life, like NTN and tech bindings. Unless they come up with a low boot significantly lighter than a T4.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 am

Two things....Alpine and Off Piste.....one plus the other does not equal two....It's one or the other....When discussing help us all by indicating one or the other...TM

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 am

It's all xcd to me. The only time it turns into something else is in avy terrain. then I need additional gear and skills. It doesn't matter to me what kind of boots or skis I am using.