Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

Post by Johnny » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 pm
3 pins or SNS... there is the seed for a new debate... is it sane to mount SNS on 220 cm old E99? Don’t know if it’s sane but sure is fun on the crust 8-)
Wait... Like this?
So I have SNS bindings on my old 215cm Europas too, it is insane?!?
Martin, are you dissing my way of skiing and my ski choices?!? :lol:

IMG_5226.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Johnny wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 pm
3 pins or SNS... there is the seed for a new debate... is it sane to mount SNS on 220 cm old E99? Don’t know if it’s sane but sure is fun on the crust 8-)
Wait... Like this?
So I have SNS bindings on my old 215cm Europas too, it is insane?!?
Martin, are you dissing my way of skiing and my ski choices?!? :lol:

IMG_5226.jpg
Me dissing? I don’t even know what it means :shock:

I actually installed SNS on my more beautiful old E99 than yours even before knowing TTalk... that was the time when I had less skis and more money :lol:

I will be taking them this weekend at the Canadian Ski Marathon. I am pretty sure I will be the only one among 2000 skiers that will have this setup :mrgreen:

The E99 will still be slower than my old Madschus TL-70 but i will get the extra stability in some serious DH on groomed track and maybe prevent a tree hug or two :o

I keep posting about my old skis... why did I buy all those Åsnes skis then :P

BTW, anyone that read my post up to that point will ski this weekend at the Canadian Ski Marathon?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Johnny wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 am
lowangle al wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 am
Wow, show me a quote where I dissed other peoples way of skiing.

Hummm... I would say... Your last 5 posts?
lowangle al wrote:You must be a pretty unimaginative skier
lowangle al wrote:I bet my skis have a lighter touch on the snow than yours
lowangle al wrote:Maybe the reason you aren't getting the feel with heavy gear is that you aren't skiing it with finesse.
lowangle al wrote:You can call it whatever you want, although I doubt you call it anything because I don't think it interests you. Are you lonely?
lowangle al wrote:If you can't get over that I hope that at least you can get over your sexual hangups.
Those are personal, not against half the forum. I'm just counterpunching here.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:12 am

Thanks for everyone's posts and private emails and making me feel welcome in this forum. One of the reasons I enjoy the outdoors in Alaska is that I see people fearlessly experimenting all the time. The sense of adventure is admirable and inspiring. I have been fortunate to have taken skiing to levels I never thought possible.

Sometimes (many times), I see people doing extremely dangerous things in AK...mostly because they just don't know what they don't know. The thoughts of death and injury just haven't occured to them. Examples are: climbing/skiing right under terrain traps and runout zones, skiing in an avy area right after a snow storm when the snow is most unstable, skiing on the edge of the high cliff/bluff at the inlet, hiking or climbing right under hazardous areas like cornices and loose rock, day hiking in a storm with minimal gear, no safety gear, using the wrong or less than ideal gear for a particular situation, doing any number of those things alone, and my favorite, in any one of these dangerous positions and not being familiar with their newly purchased gear (alot of these folks have shiny new expensive skis setups but have no idea what they are doing) -- which I believe they are called "posers".

The benefits of this forum is the ability to discuss/debate these subjects and explore the possibiities and the impossibilities (i.e., my light FT62s do horribly on thin 3-4" breakable crust with bottomless heavy powder) in a warm comfy house before you go out there and spend a zillion bucks on gear that does not work for you. (I almost regretted buying the FT62s the first time I skiied them...but when I got used to them and the conditions were better, it was out of this world!)

I enjoy the discussions here and I am glad that some of you like my input. The posts in this forum have given me some great information. The discussion on xcd has helped me avoid those situations listed above (I am actually guilty of many of those things). I am enjoying my skiing more than I have in many years. I am falling down more than I have in many years.

I think the leather vs. plastic thing can reach the heights of religious indoctrination as do many things in life. I want to be clear that I am not insulting *you*, I hate my plastic boots and have battled my whole life with ill fitting boots and shoes...spending a small fortune on shoes of all types, socks, liners, and footbeds. Discovering that skiing was possible with light skis and comfortable soft boots was great. The initial years of actually doing it was terrible. The videos in this forum helped me refine my techniques and I am skiing alot better...to almost acceptable levels that I can reserve my plastics for resorts and the most challenging terrain conditions.

Everyone has different objectives and preferences...there are very few absolutes...that's what makes it so interesting. It is great to hear what works for you and what does not. I welcome everyone's opinion and viewpoints. I have been experimenting alot and currently have 10 pairs of ski boots and 8 pairs of skis (dont tell my wife). I have narrowed it down to 2 pairs of boots and skis that I use 90+% of the time. So there is no disrepect for whatever gear you all enjoy using.

Here's an offtrail slab avalanche from last weekend that was set off by careless kids (and irresponsible coaches) from Jr. Nordic Ski Team. (No one was hurt).
FB_IMG_1581142413505.jpg

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:49 am

As one of the people who PMed you I'm glad you're back. I'm sure what we share in common is much greater than our differences.