Karhu Guide / Madshus Annum + NNN BC ?!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Karhu Guide / Madshus Annum + NNN BC ?!

Post by bgregoire » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 pm

Johnny wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:08 pm
I haven't used cable in years, no matter the terrain...
Hey Johnny! Are you still an avid Scarpa TX Comp skier? I cannot image skiing those with outcables or some equivalent tensioning system. The best to you!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, Objectives and all Asnes skis.
Favorite boots: ALFA Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:32 am

Dear Ben, don't you remember the old NTN ads here on the old forum?
As I keep saying, it's not free-heel until you cut the cables...! 8-)

Rotte08sm2.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Falketind 62;Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 pm

I absolutely love the Guide/Annum with NNNBC-

We have two different lengths mounted with the NNNBC-Magnum binding- a 195cm and a 175cm.

The 195cm is an excellent deep snow XC ski and I can ride wonderful open round turns on it.
The 175cm is obviously slower- but it is a ton of fun as it makes much tighter turns.

I used to be regularly disappointed with this ski- but I think that this was mainly because I was expecting too much from this very soft round-flexing ski.

I have pretty much completely replaced my 195cm Annum with my 205cm Ingstad BC- for distance tours in deep snow and hilly terrain.

I have replaced the 175cm Annum with my 188cm Falketind 62- for downhill-focused tours in my NNNBC boots.
I would very much like to try the Rabb 68 with NNNBC.

I very much look forward to your reports- and hopefully awesome videos- with this setup!

What length are you going to ski?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Lo-Fi
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by Lo-Fi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Switched my Karhu Guides from Switchback bindings to NNN BC. First ski on them with some Alpina Alaska boots that I wrangled. I'm not sure what to think yet. Need more snow!

lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Falketind 62;Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Wicked Lo-Fi- thanks for sharing this.
Looking forward to more reports and your conclusions on this setup!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

FrenchFred
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: Dynafit 84, FT62
Favorite boots: Scott Excursion, Alaska NNNBC

Post by FrenchFred » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am

Hy Lo-Fi

Then ? What's your conclusion ?
The NNNBC is your new choice for the xcD ?

Or will you be back on 3pin and strong boots (plastic or leather).

Fred

Lo-Fi
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by Lo-Fi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:24 pm

FrenchFred wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am
Hy Lo-Fi

Then ? What's your conclusion ?
The NNNBC is your new choice for the xcD ?

Or will you be back on 3pin and strong boots (plastic or leather).

Fred
The Guide/Annum skis with NNN BC bindings, skied with Alpina Alaska boots, are fun. Very versatile - to cover distance, make some nice turns, particularly in soft snow, and cover a range of terrain, technique and conditions. They tour more efficiently and nimbly than when I had Switchbacks on the ski and shuffled them in my Excursion boots. While they still get nicely turned with the Alaskas, I can't push them to the same limit as I could with the 75mm plastic boots and bindings.

I'm lucky to live within a 10-20 minute ski, out my door, of the type of eastern style, bushy glades that are seen in the little videos I make. Lines are short and necessarily tight. Snow quality and depth is often marginal and increasingly variable with the cruel(!) whims of climate change.

Excursion type boots, 75mm bindings and fat, fish-scaled skis, is the combination that allows me to optimally do what I want to. My skills are not challenged by over-coming any inherent limitations in the equipment, but more for what turns I want to do and what the terrain and conditions permit.

In this video I am able to arc some smooth turns at the start, but when I want quicker turns at the end, you might be able to discern that I have to almost hop or step the turns a bit to skip part of the arcing process- still fun, but the equipment represents a bit of an obstacle to the turns and flow I ideally want:

Here, I can squiggle my wider skis through narrower spaces; they plane sooner and glide quicker and longer with less slope; they float more and resist the snow less; I can foot steer and don't have to exaggerate or deepen the arc at all times to turn; and when things get steeper, deeper or rougher, the foot to boot to ski connection is completely trustworthy:

Last edited by Lo-Fi on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick BC
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC, Salomon QST 99 and G3 Stinger XCD
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 am

Thank you Lo-fi for your responses, with the accompanying videos. It really makes the point way much better than a thousand words. My take away from that is, for relaxed tree skiing, Excursion/Kom is the ticket but the Alaska/Guide/Annum combo may be better for a rolly/polly trek. Correct me if I'm wrong :D .

shromatty
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by shromatty » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:13 am

I cannot chime in on performance yet, but i have been digging on the subject and was planning on getting the annums. I should state I have the altai Koms 174, which i love, but the edge is a bit much to put down some times. After spending probably way to much time agonizing i ended up wondering if the epoch was a better choice for "out the back door" versitility, which then led to to wonder if the newer s-bound 98 was a better choice. I was tempted at several of the asnes, but i found good pricing for the 98s and pulled the trigger. I do have the kom if i want to go wider though, and the 98s or epocs would work better for trail... Check out the s-bound 112 if you too if you are looking at the annums. I may still get a set of those, or the annums depending how the 98s work out, I was just more confident at spreading the 98s for my general planned uses than the annum or the 112, due to the likelihood of ending up on packed trail for what i have quickest easiest access to.

my wife and i both got alfa guard advance gtx nnn bc boots as well. I will chime in with what we find. we have horrible feet...

I am lucky enough to have 100s of miles of rolling trail out my door, and i think i am done trying to find a plastic boot that works with my problematic feet for the larger mountain stuff a lot of my friends go do. I am eager to push this setup as far as i can, but mostly got it for bcx. If i can make it work more towards downhill in powder where i previously tried to wear the plastic stuff that i have failed to get fit my feet, it is a bonus.

FrenchFred
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: Dynafit 84, FT62
Favorite boots: Scott Excursion, Alaska NNNBC

Post by FrenchFred » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks for your feedback
Like you on my alpi-nordic mountain, with variable snow condition, it's easier and more fun to ski with fat ski (84mm under foot) and plastic boots...
But i agree that when the snow is good NNNBC binding & Alaska boot ( with FT62 ski) is really good (even better) in comparaison.

Now we have to work on skin tuning, in order to get the best king&glide performance ! 😉

Fred