When skiing was beautiful, an art, an expression of self..

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

When skiing was beautiful, an art, an expression of self..

Post by Woodserson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:35 pm

...but not the weird wide legged power stance which, while effective, looks brutalist and doesn't flow. It's devoid of soul, it lacks expression, it lacks of art.

Racing ruins the breed.

This season, I'm going to focus on making my skiing more beautiful, more flow, more dance, more love, more sex. I love the snow and the mountain, and it loves me. We are going to flow into each other.

God, I love this postcard. THIS
IMG_20190820_210537.jpg

Andy M

Re: When skiing was beautiful, an art, an expression of self..

Post by Andy M » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 am

Great postcard -- the good news, of course, is that skiing is still beautiful, still an art, and still an expression of self, but it just doesn't often make postcards or the covers of ski magazines these days. It really is up to the individual to see the art in the sport, whether it is on kick-and-glide, free-heel, or even fixed-heel gear.

About a month ago, I had a rejuvenating ski experience relevant to this post. I was skiing at one of the summertime "patch skiing" spots near the Front Range of Colorado, when I ran into a young guy on old tele gear. He was skiing on Black Diamond Resolutions, a hot ski back in the late 90s. I commented to him that I had those skis and they had been my main tele skis over 20 years ago. He had just picked them up somewhere recently -- heck, he wasn't that much older than the skis!

I have to admit that I didn't expect him to ski that well on them that day, as the conditions were bumpy and icy and challenging for a narrow tele ski, but he happily proved me wrong -- he was grace in motion. I've attached a few photos.
IMG_9001c_sm.JPG
IMG_9002b_sm.JPG
IMG_9004b1_sm.JPG

oldschool47

Post by oldschool47 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:55 am

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:35 pm
...but not the weird wide legged power stance which, while effective, looks brutalist and doesn't flow. It's devoid of soul, it lacks expression, it lacks of art.

Racing ruins the breed.

This season, I'm going to focus on making my skiing more beautiful, more flow, more dance, more love, more sex. I love the snow and the mountain, and it loves me. We are going to flow into each other.

IMG_20190820_210537.jpg
Amen.

"Well, once we had an easy ride and always felt the same
Time was on my side and I had everything to gain
Let it be like yesterday
Please let me have happy days"

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Andy M wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 am
Great postcard -- the good news, of course, is that skiing is still beautiful, still an art, and still an expression of self, but it just doesn't often make postcards or the covers of ski magazines these days. It really is up to the individual to see the art in the sport, whether it is on kick-and-glide, free-heel, or even fixed-heel gear.

About a month ago, I had a rejuvenating ski experience relevant to this post. I was skiing at one of the summertime "patch skiing" spots near the Front Range of Colorado, when I ran into a young guy on old tele gear. He was skiing on Black Diamond Resolutions, a hot ski back in the late 90s. I commented to him that I had those skis and they had been my main tele skis over 20 years ago. He had just picked them up somewhere recently -- heck, he wasn't that much older than the skis!

I have to admit that I didn't expect him to ski that well on them that day, as the conditions were bumpy and icy and challenging for a narrow tele ski, but he happily proved me wrong -- he was grace in motion. I've attached a few photos.
From the photos he was very graceful indeed. In those conditions I am now running heavier gear. I used to be bulletproof, but I'm not that tough anymore.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:36 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Racing ruins the breed.

IMG_20190820_210537.jpg

Woods, I'm thrown off by the mirrored sunglasses. Other than the glasses I'm thinking 1960's ankle high leather boots. It wasn't really racing, just equipment. If I'm correct there are ankle high leather boots still available! Mount those FT three pin, and match them with leather! ....or pull a Johnny and do it on NNN!
Looking forward to snow, but salmon have started to stage so I will be chasing them soon!
Enjoy today!

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:14 pm

[quote=Woodserson post_id=27661 time=1566351343 user_id

IMG_20190820_210537.jpg
[/quote]
Is it just me or the skiers look like they are skiing uphill!

No way they had Photoshop in that time :o

On a more serious note I am looking forward as well to ski better just like Woods said. Today I had a look at a video shot by a friend last winter and I could easily tell that it will be easy to improve my telemark technique :lol:

While waiting for winter I am still debating the pro and cons of the FT or the Raab and also planning to open some new trails on my land and my neighbors forest as well... just don’t tell them ;)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Artistically I hope my skiing is as good as it was last year. I brought down the house or got standing Os on all but a few runs. 8-)

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:47 am

Sure do like the way some people ski....When you see it you know.....Smooth go with the flow.....use what the slope is giving.....Here in Hardwood world in the middle of the third largest contiguous forest on the planet....now and then you see some awesomely beautiful out of body vision of wonder in motion.....Fortunately Al....around here the only viewers are Moose and they just watch....One time heading in just out of the car....few hundred yards and heading up in misty clouds....sometimes you see sometimes not....came face to face with a new vision....20 feet away a big Female was.......just watching.....She drifted into misty world and I...... I drifted in a new direction.....TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 am

Truth be told Gt I was, for the most part, the only witness to my feats of artistic beauty. On one occasion this past winter while doing laps in a favorite out of the way meadow a tele chic appeared. She was about my age ,60 or so, and through our conversation I found that she had about as much experience as me. Anyway after we skied a run together she told me she had never seen turns as nice as mine.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am

^^^^^^ A beautiful thing!.....have any of you seen how an Otter skis?.....man do they have fun!!!!!!! Hit contours drop into steeps....slide over out crops.....They are the animal kingdom Telemarkers.....I try to imitate them and have had some success....Extend the ski, ride the rail....ski like an otter....Telemark at it's best!!!! TM