Altai Skis Still Available?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
yoyoing

Altai Skis Still Available?

Post by yoyoing » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:44 am

Hi folks,

I've been trying to track down a pair of 164cm Koms from the Altai Ski Canadian website since last winter but they've been out of stock this whole time. I can't reach them by email either, so no idea if they have intentions of making/selling more skis or not... So I'm wondering if anyone knows if this business is still operational?!

On a related note: anyone have a 164cm Koms that they'd like to sell??? :lol:

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Altai Skis Still Available?

Post by Woodserson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:33 am

I spoke to them this spring and they were moving into a larger space, I think they are doing fine, the HOKs especially.

On the US store the 162 and 174 are still available. https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/kom-ski/

Really great ski, you can't go wrong. Lots of fun, super smart design, robust build. It's a real ski, built for skiers. I love mine! Love! I have both the 162 and 174. If you're split between the two sizes and have an alpine skiing background go with the 174s, just as turny, more stable and more float for the deep days.

yoyoing

Post by yoyoing » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks for the tips!

I have the 145cm Hoks (which I love!) but find that I'm outgrowing them on the downhills... I get swamped in the deep stuff and find it really hard to edge when conditions are firm/icy.

I'm curious about the Kom sizing though. I do not have an alpine background (snowboarder here) but have been practicing my tele turns and they've come a pretty long ways. I want a ski that will still be good for touring to/from the hills in boreal forest, as I lap lots of short runs in and need to cross some flats/lakes to get out there. I'll also be thrashing through some thick brush here and there. I am 6' and 145lbs for reference.

Would you still recommend the 174cm over the 162cm? I don't want to get in over my head with too much ski!
What are the main differences with throwing around a bigger ski? (Especially coming from the 145cm Hok).

Cheers

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 pm

I'm 6'2" 155lbs and I used the 162's for 2 seasons no problems, very maneuverable and lots of fun. I got the 174's for days when it's 12" of pow or deeper and carrying a load and I wanted to ski much steeper stuff (45deg+ in Tuckerman Ravine) and was getting the back tip caught up on the front binding. That was the main reason for the longer length and I ended up liking them for extra float too. I kept my 162's for a reason too-- firmer snow and tighter stuff with less than a foot of pow on top.

If you're skiing tight trees in this boreal forest of yours and somewhat new to skiing you could probably get the 162cm and be happy forever.

I don't know you, but that's my soft and squishee opinion!

yoyoing

Post by yoyoing » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am

If you're skiing tight trees in this boreal forest of yours and somewhat new to skiing you could probably get the 162cm and be happy forever.
That's pretty much the thought process I had too. Glad to hear that I'm on the right track!

Now if I could just get my hands on a pair :lol:

rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Post by rongon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:27 am

FWIW, there are a few Sépaq parks in Québec that have trails designated for "Hok skiing"(!!). Is that a thing?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:44 pm

rongon wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:27 am
FWIW, there are a few Sépaq parks in Québec that have trails designated for "Hok skiing"(!!). Is that a thing?
Rongon,

Some Sépaq parks have indeed embraced the Hok and have them for rent. My take on this is that the clientele they are aiming for with this is the average neophyte who wants to try something different than a snowshoe. Its great for them (Sépaq) because they do not have to carry a whole fleet of boots for rent, they simply offer the universal binding and do no have to deal with wax or skins. I myself have not yet noticed a Hok-specific trail in the network. However, the hok is listed as an option on some of the multi-activity trails (nordic skiing and/or snowshoe).

BTW, can you believe more and more of the snowshoes/backcountry ski trails are being groomed in the Sépaq network!!!! Argh! It was already a pain to ski through snowshoe holes, now we have to ski on corrugated hard pack amongst fat bikes as well. I wish nordic backcountry skiing would become more popular again here and supplant this multi-use trail, every gear is welcome trend. :(
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM