Asnes Mountain Race Jr (150cm)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Buda

Asnes Mountain Race Jr (150cm)

Post by Buda » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:45 pm

My son's gonna be stoked when he sees his new skis!

I've always been a fan of the Salomon SNS X-Adv bindings and boots and was bummed when they got discontinued. I found bindings and 2 pair of boots for $10 per pair. The smaller ones fit him now and he'll grow into the 2nd ones.

The problem is that the skis are very thin. Any advice on how to mount the bindings? Is it too risky to let a shop like MEC do the job?

note: I can find shorter screws but only with Phillips heads (not pozidriv). That should be ok.
AsnesMtnRaceJr.jpg
thin.jpg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Asnes Mountain Race Jr (150cm)

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:09 pm

So what's the problem here? The screws are too long and the ski too thin? Or the ski isn't wide enough? Not sure. This is prob Lilcliffy's domain here with his crew of young skiers rampaging the HB Forest of NB

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Woodserson wrote:So what's the problem here? The screws are too long and the ski too thin? Or the ski isn't wide enough? Not sure. This is prob Lilcliffy's domain here with his crew of young skiers rampaging the HB Forest of NB
LC surely has an interesting solution, but I would contact Asnes directly for details on binding placement on those sweet skis...
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Buda, if you need shorter screws Tognar.com is a good source. I believe you are Canadian so I will assume you have a metric tape measure? Tognar measures screws from the top of the head to the point.
Personally at my age I prefer not to have somebody else turn my screws. I find paper mounting templates very satisfactory for mounting bindings. I guess I am a whole lot more tolerant of me f'ing up my skis than somebody else. That being said most of the young guys turning screws for a shop have some training and some are pretty darned good.
Good luck and sweet skis!

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Hey thank you all for chiming in.

My photo isn't clear but yes the problem is that the screws are too long. I found shorter stainless steel ones with similar threads and countersunk heads except they're robertson instead of pozidriv.

If place the binding so the bar is at the point of balance then the screws go in the deeper part of the ski so that should be ok.

I brought the skis to the pro shop this morning and discussed with one of their senior techs who said he'd do the work himself. It would take longer if I did it myself and my son is anxious to hit the trails :-)

Thanks!

Buda

Post by Buda » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Just to report back now that the season is over. MEC did a great job mounting the bindings and my son had a lot of fun with them.