Safety Gear

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Safety Gear

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 pm

I have been thinking about safety gear lately. While I wear a helmet mountain biking my local trails, I don't see the need for a helmet skiing those trails. I really am not really thinking about a helmet for the ski hill. I am thinking about adding some knee pads. My wool pants are pretty roomy, I would hope to wear pads under my ski pants.
I know Voile makes some Telemark knee pads, anybody have any experience with those or any other knee pads?
Thank you

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Safety Gear

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 pm

I researched the options when I bought mine 3 years ago or so and decided on the Black Diamond ones. Everytime i wear them, i completely forget they are there, which is probably the best things about them. Hope you some snow soon down there.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Post by EvanTrem » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 pm

In my opinion, hard shell knee pads are almost a decade behind in technology when compared to soft shell pads at this point. The rate of energy absorption for a D30-type soft shell is worlds better than an old hard shell style pad (most of this is coming from the mountain biking world but it translates well).

Take a look at these. So much more comfortable. I've taken a fall with these at race speed on my MTB and walked away. Surely would have shattered my kneecap otherwise.

https://g-form.com/knee-pads-mountain-bike-skateboard

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:25 am

I use G-Forms and POC VPD 2.0s for mountain biking and skiing. G-forms are not that protective, but they are thin and comfortable, while the POCs are much more heavy duty but still pretty comfortable.
POCs are very expensive but they will probably last much, much longer than the G-forms, as the thin stretch fabric already has some holes on the G-forms.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 am

Bob, if your wool pants have a double fabric on the knees you can slice a hole in the top from the inside and slide in a piece of half inch foam. Like carhartt pants with the reinforced knees are designed to put a piece of foam in there. In fact I use Carhartts for skiing back in Pa. and like them. During a sub zero cold snap earlier this year they were warmer than my thick wool pants because they stopped the wind. The only problem I had with them was that snow stuck to the ankle area and they would be wet when they thawed out, but gaitors would solve that.

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Good thinking...knees on rocks are the biggest hazard for tele. IMO

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm

lowangle al wrote:Bob, if your wool pants have a double fabric on the knees you can slice a hole in the top from the inside and slide in a piece of half inch foam.
Its a neat idea...if you happen upon a slice of foam you can trust when kissing a rock or hidden log. Unfortunately for me, foam around here is a little flimsy to say the least.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Black Diamond kneepads are light and nice but a pain to put on and off for yoyoing. Voile's have the clip that makes it easier but they seem bulkier. I've never used them though. I like the idea of using MTB kneepads.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:36 pm

bgregoire wrote:
lowangle al wrote:Bob, if your wool pants have a double fabric on the knees you can slice a hole in the top from the inside and slide in a piece of half inch foam.
Its a neat idea...if you happen upon a slice of foam you can trust when kissing a rock or hidden log. Unfortunately for me, foam around here is a little flimsy to say the least.
My hardshell pants are Marmots that were Telemark specific and came with knee pads. The pads were made of thick felt material that had no more protection than foam.(from a cheap sleeping pad) I use the felt ones in my xcd pants and replaced the ones in my hardshell with plastic for the resort. It depends how much protection you need.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:12 am

Woodserson wrote:Black Diamond kneepads are light and nice but a pain to put on and off for yoyoing. Voile's have the clip that makes it easier but they seem bulkier. I've never used them though. I like the idea of using MTB kneepads.
Most MTB pads are very comfortable nowadays, no need to take them off for climbing, IMO.