Favorite Ski Meets Favorite Binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Favorite Ski Meets Favorite Binding

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Just when it felt like things couldn't get any better I put together the combination that eliminated the compromise of the 3-Pin HW and sent the fun factor through the roof.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Favorite Ski Meets Favorite Binding

Post by Woodserson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Pics.

X2 and HyperVector?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 am

OK that's enough of a pause for suspense... what did you come up with?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 am

phoenix wrote:OK that's enough of a pause for suspense... what did you come up with?
x 2 , Al we have been waiting patiently.

teledance

Post by teledance » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am

Wait, what the 3-pin Hardwire isn't perfect?!!

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 am

I haven't skied the Hypers yet Woods and I'm way more excited about skiing this new combo than skiing them. I put together my perfect trifecta of boot, ski, and binding. As far as the 3 pin HW, it is a good binding, it tours good and is light w/o the heel throws but you need to put them on to get the added control they give. I've skied them almost exclusively w/o the heel throws for two seasons and had some real good skiing with no crashes. It took a few days to get used to skiing a three pin binding again but it did everything I needed it to do.

So, I removed the toe piece from the riser on the HW, which is screwed on using the old standard three screw pattern, and replaced it with a Riva cable binding. I only had the Riva mounted on one ski in the past, and that ski was my favorite all time ski besides the vector. It was so smooth it had a feeling that other skis were missing.

When I took my new combo out on Saturday I don't think I was three turns into it when I felt that old smooth feeling again and realized it must have been the Riva binding and not the ski that was responsible for it. It wasn't just the addition of the cable that made the difference, I was out on vectors with switchbacks last week and while I felt the added power the smoothness was missing.

The Riva binding only weighs about 4 or 5 ounces per pair more than the HWs w/o the heel throws and about 11 or 12 ounces less than the HW with the heel throws. It is much less bulky w/o those spring cartriges and wires sticking out that bang together when skiing and collect snow. To me it feels more natural for K&G, has all the power I need, it's easier to get on and off and it also has a sleeker look. Luckily when the cable on my original Rivas started to wear through I found three more pairs at second hand shops and put another pair on my wifes skis yesterday. I still have one more pair that I can put on the Hypers.

Before I had the idea to put Rivas on I was going to try some 3-pin cables mounted to the HW risers basically making a voile traverse. I highly recommend anyone who has the HW and the 3p cable give this a try. It might be all the binding you need that is lighter and may even feel better. You can also look through your old bindings with the standard three hole pattern and come up with another combination.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:12 am

This also got me thinking about the difference between hard wire bindings and cable bindings in general. The HWs may have more power and tortional stiffness than a cable but it may be worthwhile to go back in time and try some old bindings like the Targa or Chilis to see if the have that smooth feeling.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm

I used to ski Riva’s. My only complaint with them was the fact that the cable, which ran around the front of the toe piece would work itself under the toe piece due to pressure. Mine did this half way through a ski week at Rudi Berlinger’s. I was not happy! The solution was to epoxy round the front,where the cable sat, to provide a support for the cable and stop it working under again.

Speaking of old bindings I sometimes think I would love to try the old Rainey Super Loop again. That was a nice light effective binding and I never had any issues with it.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Al, are you talking about the original Riva, with the heel throw that's 90 degrees to the boot, or the Riva II, with the vertical heel throw?

Nick- I was always aware of that possibility with the cable... now that I think about it, I did need to re-tighten the front binding screw a time or two. Never had a pull out though.
Last edited by phoenix on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Al & Co., glad you've brought the subject of basic cable bindings up. I ski mostly on basic 3 pin and 3 pin cable (and SB sometimes). I have a pair of old Rivas II hanging around and sold a pair of Chilis a while back without even trying them first. I am wondering what I am missing out on if anything!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM