Really New Skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Really New Skis

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:49 am

I just got my Voile Hyper Vectors yesterday, the paperwork said they were manufactured on Jan. 25., less than two weeks old. When I gently flexed them the first time, each ski made a weird crackleing sound down it's whole length. It was the first time they were flexed and it seemed like it was the sound of them being born. :o

They are my biggest ski purchase ever, and probably my last "fat" ski. I'm very pleased with them and will put some HWs on them next week.

martin2007

Re: Really New Skis

Post by martin2007 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

Enjoy those fat skis, Al! As for them being your last pair, screw that! Maybe they'll end up as your 4th or 5th last, who ever knows! I've been considering getting my last pair, too. Maybe Salomon QST 99's...

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:27 pm

I hope (and fully expect!) you'll get many a good mile and memory on those. I'll look forward to hearing about 'em.

I know that crackling sound; kind of exciting and just a touch disconcerting at the same time. I like your image of it being their birthing sound... kind of like the first cry of a newborn baby?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:32 pm

GRIP AND RIP!!!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Wicked man.
Smooth base or the scaled BC version?

Looking forward to your comparison between this and the classic Vector.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm

I got the bc version LC. I have both versions of the classic vectors and with the changing climate both up in Anchorage and especially back East, the fishscales get more use.

Phoenix, disconcerting is exactly how it felt, but now they're quiet as a mouse.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Yup, just the lay-up wiggling a little to get comfortable accustomed to flexing, and settle in for a long quiet ride. Where do you spend your time back east?

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Phoenix, I have a place in NE Pa. on a lake in the Pocono Mts. not far from where I grew up. I got the Hyper Vectors for skiing in Ak. and was going to bring my old vectors back to Pa. so I had a good ski there. As it turns out this may be my last year in Alaska so I don't really need them, but it will nice to have a second pair to only bring out when there is good coverage.

Whenever I do end up back East I look forward to hitting the places I skied 30 years ago, the Daks, the Whites and I'd like to check out some Vermont bc where previously I had only skied resorts.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Great purchase Al! I'm excited to hear a comparison between the Vector BCs and Hyper Vector BCs. Not that I'm looking for an excuse to replace my Vector BCs, but still...

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 pm

I really like the old Vector so I'm hoping they ski the same. I would like to see a substantial weight savings. I'll find that out tomorrow when I get them mounted and do a comparison. I am also hoping for a rounder, smoother flex than the old ones. I'll report back after I give them a try.