What bindings to pair with Altai Kom skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Yvette

What bindings to pair with Altai Kom skis

Post by Yvette » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for suggestions about what bindings would work best for my needs. I live in New England, and am a cross-country skier who started telemark skiing at age 50 and who will never be one to rip downhill. At best, I am an intermediate-level skier.
I practice my telemark turns at a nearby ski 'resort' (on some BD Stigma skis) . I am interested mostly in using the Koms on some of the closed ski hills in western MA and southern VT. Also playing, if we ever get enough snow, on the hill behind my house and some of the steeper mountain bike trails through the woods around here For the closed ski hills. I will likely be using Scarpa T2s. For mountain bike trails, I may use my Alico March boots.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: What bindings to pair with Altai Kom skis

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:06 am

Yvette, welcome to the KOM family ooooooRIGHT! This is a perfect ski for the skiing you are describing.

I have the KOMS, ski them with T4's. One pair (162) is mounted with the Voile 3 pin cable and the other (174) is mounted with Voile Hardwires for a little more oomph. Both are good options for the plastic boot, I can't speak to the leather boots, I don't use them on my KOMs.

Famous LoFi has older Voile hardwires with no pins, keeps them loose, and skis his with Merrell Doubles and T4s.

Yvette

Post by Yvette » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:45 am

Anyone try these with Burnt Mtn spike 3 pin binding? Those bindings were on a pair of skis I borrowed a few years ago, and I liked them a lot.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 am

Hello Yvette!
I also have a set of Koms with Voile 3-pin hardwire bindings on them. To date, I have exclusively used my Scarpa T4 boot on this ski.

I love this binding because of the option of XC skiing in classic 3-pin-no-cable mode.
If was using it mostly to yo-yo ski- which is what might happen actually- I have better skis to tour for turns where there is significant distance involved- I would consider a free-pivot binding on it to improve climbing efficiency and speed-up transitions.

I do not have any experience with the Burnt Mtn bindings.

I have always used the heel "cables" on my Koms when doing any serious downhill skiing on steep terrain.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Yvette wrote:Anyone try these with Burnt Mtn spike 3 pin binding? Those bindings were on a pair of skis I borrowed a few years ago, and I liked them a lot.
I mounted Koms with BMD Spike 3-pins. It is a perfect pairing IMO. The bindings are a step-in no fuss or fiddle design with plenty of power to control the Koms.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am

I don't have the Kom's, but I ski my Objectives with the Spike 3 pins and am really pleased with them. For boots, I wear either Excursions or Alaska's. The ski march will give you better control than my Alaska's, but stay on gentle stuff with those. With the T-2's and Spike's, you can ski with confidence.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:12 pm

As Woods said I like the original non-3-pin hardwires run at minimal tension: Easy in and out, and no fiddling around between up, down, and flats.