Women's NNN-BC boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Women's NNN-BC boots

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Finding boots for ME is frustrating enough, finding boots for my WIFE is an impossibility.

She needs an Alaska style boot reduced for her small foot, but Alpina only makes the EVE in the Montana, the beige boot with synthetic leather. The Alaska and Wyoming seem to be only in men's or unisex sizing and her foot will slop all over the place in them. I know this.

She's on Rossignol W BCX-6's right now, which is a pretty good boot for her, but something is banging up against her anklebone. I think it's the plastic hinge piece.

All the boots with women's lasts are for wimpy K&G in the track, she needs a boot with which she can bend a ski. Like an Alaska.

What are you guys with skiing wives/g-f's/daughters/friends/fwb/mothers/small-feeted-people doing?

Woodserson

Re: Women's NNN-BC boots

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm

Ok I talked to the wonderful folks at OGE in Burlington and we're going to try an Alaska for her. Apparently good unisex sizing boot, the saleswoman I spoke with was optimistic. I didn't get Mrs Woods a Christmas present... soooo...

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:38 am

I'll +1 on behalf of the Alaskas, Woods. My Wife has them in NNN-BC, and I would say her feet are pretty average for ladies width. They did fit a hair high-volume on her to start, but nothing serious at all. She runs a bit cold so wearing thick hiking / boarding socks, coupled with a green Superfeet insole for a bit more prop and support, and they fit perfect. No slop or play at all. The stiff leather doesn't seem to pack out much, at least early on - maybe 150 km on them and they still fit the same on her as they did new.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am

Let us know how your wife makes out with this Woods.
My wife has a relatively wide, large volume foot- she had to size up in her Alaskas to get the right fit.

My oldest daughter has low-volume feet like mine- only narrower- finding boots that don't produce heel-lift and metatarsus-crush is even harder for her then me! I am looking forward to when her feet have stopped growing!!!!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

snogosh

Post by snogosh » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 am

I'm a woman with small feet (euro 35.5 street shoes), and I picked up a pair of nnn-bc Alaskas in 36 that have been great for me. It was a little hard to find them that small, though, and when I did they seemed to be on clearance ($65! Unusual foot sizes are always either great or terrible; I got lucky this time).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Good thread Woods! Warmth and fit are a big problem for my gf's feet. It took 3 tries to get the right fitting Excursions for her. I don't want to dole out the cabbage for Alaskas if at all possible, so does anyone have suggestions for earlier versions of NNN-bc boots that I should look out for used or online?

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm

My wife has an exceptionally narrow foot that is hard to fit. She wears an NN 75mm Alaska with an insole and extra socks. It’s not ideal but it’s the best she’s found. Hope they work for your wife.

STG

Post by STG » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am

As an XX with small feet, I have felt frustrated trying to find the right boot for nordic/telemark skiing. Let us know how the boots work out for your wife. Perhaps she could post her review on the forum. I have been considering buying the Alaska (three-pin model) so a review would be really helpful. Lots of guys have posted excellent gear/boot reviews on this forum but those results probably can't be appied to someone with my foot size, lower leg strength/leverage, center of mass/weight etc.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Al's post about T4 for women reminded me of this thread.

My wife seems to really like her Alpina Alaska's. First, she loves the color, so that's helpful to me getting them into the door (she is a crazy penny-pincher but bold colors can soften her stance) and once I showed her how to lace them right over the instep and pay attention to lacing them in a non-rushing way with all the hooks she's been off to the races. She says that she "likes them" and since we've skied and she's been in them I haven't heard any complaints... which means they work and work well, because if they didn't I would hear about it right away. She is not a complainer by any means, but no one likes boots or shoes that fit badly, and her Rossi BC X6 Women's had some fundamental problems that I heard about continuously.

She is not techy in any way with gear so we're not going to get a review from her, sorry STG.

The Alpina Alaska-- good for women, good for men!

Thanks to those that offered their 2 cents.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 pm

My wifes not a techy either, she only knows her skis as the white ones, the green ones, or the new ones. But if T4s came in Leopard Print she would have had them years ago.