New to backcountry - some questions

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
spwath

New to backcountry - some questions

Post by spwath » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 am

So just a little background info on me:
I am in college now in CT, live in upstate/western NY. I was on the Nordic ski team throughout high school, so I am very familiar with classic and skate methods, along with waxing for those race skis. I have decided to give backcountry a try, as while there are many groomed trails avalible near me in NY, there are very few avalible in CT. I was backcountry skiing in CT on some classic waxless skis I got at goodwill for $10 as I didn't want to mess up my nice race skis, or deal with the hassle of waxing. Needless to say, it didn't work great.

I just got a pair of Fischer Excursion 88 skis with NNN-BC bindings, along with a pair of Madshus Glittertind boots.
Now the Fisher excursion 88 skis are waxless, but I was wondering if there was anything I was supposed to do to the base, as the base (outside of the kick zone) looks very similar to my classic and skate skis.
Also, I was a bit intrigued by Norpine skiing. Do you just put on a pair of metal edged backcountry skis and go down an alpine hill? Do places allow you to do that? One time I went down an alpine hill on my race skate skis, as the Nordic trail was at the top of the mountain, and my friends and I decided to go down the hill for fun. I can see why metal edges are pretty much required, as on my skinny edgeless skate skis, I had very little control.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Re: New to backcountry - some questions

Post by Leo Tasker » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 am

Putting glide wax on the bases will definitely make the ski run smoother. Hot waxing will help the bases drying out and help the skis last longer. You can also put glide wax on the "Crown" pattern in the kick zone as this will help prevent it icing up and losing grip. Be careful not to fill up the pattern though, I tend to use a liquid rub-on wax here as it is quicker and easier to apply.

You should find you have more downhill control on the Excursion 88's, they will have more sidecut than your track skis to help them carve more easily, and the metal edges will grip way better! Not as much as an Alpine ski though, so I wouldn't take them to a busy ski area the first time!

spwath

Re: New to backcountry - some questions

Post by spwath » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Ok, great, thanks for the info.
I will wax the tips and tails like I do on my classic skis.

Sure they will have less control than downhill skis, but that's part of the fun!