Åsnes Nansen BC 195cm vs 200cm

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Buda

Åsnes Nansen BC 195cm vs 200cm

Post by Buda » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Evenin' all,

I have the 2 Nansen sizes reserved and picking up a pair in a couple of days.

Åsnes website size recommendation:
75-85kg -> 195cm
80-90kg -> 200cm

My weight is between these 2 lengths depending on the situation. If I dress light for moving fast I'm in the 195cm range with more clothing and a pack I'm in the 200cm range. I'll be mostly on ungroomed trails (Gatineau Park), snowmobile tracks, and the easy runs at the local ski resorts.

For skiing off the beaten path I have Ingstads (75-90kg -> 195cm).

I will have both pairs in front of me and will be able to look at the camber under my weight.

Any tips on which Nansens I should get?

Cheers

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Åsnes Nansen BC 195cm vs 200cm

Post by bgregoire » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Jesum Buda, your on fire!

All this Åsnes love has got to you too eih?

Do you own any other pair of skis?

I'd recommend supplementing the Ingstad with the Gamme or Amundsen instead of the Nansen if you do not already own a E99-type ski (I'm assuming you will be at La Cordee).

The Ingstad should be usable at the resort by the way, you don't need a Nansen to do that. The Ingstad's nordic rocker should allow for lots of fun going down in soft snow. The Nansen could be a little better on the down on hardpack but neither of these are close to being resort skis.

If your still eyeing the Nansen, of the two, I'd go for the 200cm. But you will get to see them in the shop and even test out the camber on the marble table. Make sure they past the test (I'm sure they will).

Ben
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:18 pm

BUDA HAS THE
20181217_205132 copy.jpg

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Lol. We'll see. So far I've never even seen any in real life :-)

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:35 pm

bgregoire wrote:All this Åsnes love has got to you too eih?
Hehe, I don't buy skis often but since I can't tell for sure which ones I'll like better I don't see any other option than to get both and ski them for a season. If they're very similar I'll sell a pair next season. Note: the Ingstads are waxless but not the Nansens. It'll be my 1st time with waxless skis.
I'd recommend supplementing the Ingstad with the Gamme or Amundsen instead of the Nansen if you do not already own a E99-type ski
I do have 200cm long E99s and Glittertinds
The Ingstad's nordic rocker should allow for lots of fun going down in soft snow
I look forward to that.
... neither of these are close to being resort skis.
I have 178cm long, 123-80-109 sidecut skis with NTN bindings and plastic boots that I used to keep up with my alpine ski friends when I lived in EU but when skiing by myself I prefered bringing the Glittertinds and taking the slower runs. From the specs it seems like the Nansens would have been even more fun.
I'd go for the 200cm ... Make sure they past the test
Thanks a lot for the info.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:50 pm

Buda wrote: Hehe, I don't buy skis often but since I can't tell for sure which ones I'll like better I don't see any other option than to get both and ski them for a season. If they're very similar I'll sell a pair next season. Note: the Ingstads are waxless but not the Nansens. It'll be my 1st time with waxless skis.
Right, forgot about the waxless state of your Ingstads! Have fun exploring the elite world of Åsnes skis!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Longer! it's always the same answer....what was the question again?? :lol: :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 pm

If my memory is correct-

Skiers on that have posted on this site, have said that they have been advised to size-up- not down- when they have bought the Nansen at Neptune Mountaineering...

Very exciting!
Please let us know what you decide and how you make out with this ski!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 am

Hi,

I ended up getting the 195s.

I'm 80 Kg (176 lb) when dressed for skiing with no pack. That puts me at the bottom of the range for the 200s, at the top of the range for the 190s and right in the middle for the 195s according to the Åsnes table.

On the test board the 195s seemed ok but the 200s looked good as well. The sellers were saying that the 195s were a better fit and being undecided I went with their recommendation.

I only saw the last 2 posts here after I had bought the skis and had I read them I would have gone with the 200s.

My ideal weight is 2-3 kg lighter than I am now and I'm aiming to get there by the end of the month.

I hope I didn't make the wrong choice. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks a lot for the input.