Bindings: M Equipment Meidjo 2.0 vs 22 Designs Outlaw X vs Rottefella Freeride

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
nemozny

Bindings: M Equipment Meidjo 2.0 vs 22 Designs Outlaw X vs Rottefella Freeride

Post by nemozny » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:43 am

Hi,

I had a chance to compare all available NTN bindings during my trip in Livigno, Italy in December 2018, so I would like to share with the community.

Profile first: I am 36, 96kg/210lbs at 183cm, skiing maybe 25 years, living in the middle of Europe, so I am used to difficult snow conditions (ice, firn, mixed, bumps, you name it). 99% resort skiing, I consider skiing real powder freeride first time 2 years ago. Aggressive skier with no favourite style.
I do telemark since 2013, out of boredom, skis Atomic Panics 181 with Rottefella Freerides L (newer purple ones) and Garmont Prophets, last 3 years also with Faction Candide 3.0 (183 cm), switching the binding among the skis.
I prefer long (180+ cm) heavy (1800+ g) hard skis, so considering trashing soft Panics for Volkl Kendo or Head Monster 88 ti for resort skiing.

Livigno in Italy is quite a telemark destination in Europe, having many telemark rentals, schools and festivals.

Day 1
First day I borrowed old Volkl Mantras in 177 year 2015 (132-100-118), ~2000g per ski, with old orange Rottefella Freerides. The springs were set quite hard, but no issue with me. Overall great setup, very similar to my Candide 3.0. I noticed no difference to my newer purple Freerides. I would buy the setup (with little longer skis) without any doubts.
The flex of the Freeride is far from ideal, the springs are soft and getting more hard the more you drop your knee. I think the flex should be more evenly distributed, because when you ride tele-punk (both knees dropped) it is very hard to keep upright, because the springs are fully engaged and pushing you back. I would prefer it to let me little more forward.
Freeride is not true step-in binding, but I can open or close it with my pole, no problem.
Not a single issue with the binding since I got it.

Day 2
They had Meidjo 2.0 (no brakes), so I was very eager to try it. However my Prophets don't have pins, so I borrowed very old Scarpa Terminator X (not Pros), those whole orange (year 2008? no idea). Mounted on Nordica Peshewa 177, year 2016 (110-90-126), 1600g per ski.
I always do first 1-2 rounds parallel turns only, to get a feel for the skis. And from the very first moment I hated those Nordicas, they were too short, too light for me. But probably the best choice overall for touring binding.
But as soon as dropped the knee, I started grinning in an uncontrollable fashion. The binding flex was just great! I once tried the old Cobra binding with old crap F1 boots and although the "telemark feeling" was better than on NTN setup (more freedom of movement), I was unable to ski longer than an hour in difficult mixed conditions, because I missed the edging and robustness of NTN there.
Now that feeling on Meidjo was back and better! The flex of the binding is smooth and even from the start to end (I often switch my stance from high to ultra low, to prevent leg fatigue - although I had no luck there yet, but trying). No trouble edging, no trouble in lead change, nice and smooth motion.
Sure, I tried to avoid cabin lifts, because half the time I stepped in on the first try, quarter time on the second try and quarter times on 5+ tries with frustration building.
I wanted to return the setup before the lunch break, because I wasn't feeling very good with the light back ski shaking and bumping, but somehow until lunch I have either gained more confidence or learned how to better pressure the back ski and in the end I skied the whole day.

Day 3
I saw they had 22 Designs Outlaw X (no brakes), with Volkl 90Eight 2016, I don't know the length, probably again 177 (122-98-116).
Yes, I was biased by skiing Meidjo the day before and also biased by owning Rottefella Freerides.
Outlaws are true step-in (little too hard stomp you need there) and step-out (using your pole you press from the side down, again little hard push). Good control in parallel turn, I liked the confidence in parallel turn.
But as soon as I dropped my knee, I got a rear edge bite. What? Okay, more carefully I dropped my knee, initiated the turn, initiated the lead change and again! Rear edge bite I almost toppled over. You initiate your turn, the flex is nice and smooth, you do the lead change and as you pressure the new back ski more, suddenly in the middle of the motion the flex changes from soft to very hard. Just like that, in the middle of the motion.
So I stopped down by the lift, thinking I will loosen the springs a bit. To my surprise I found the springs were soft, but there is this metal plate below the tip of the boot, that moves with the whole binding and is adding this hard flex after ~45+ degrees of motion. You can see that in the picture, attached.
I think you could get used to it, but I returned the setup after 1,5 hour and switched for Freeride with Volkl Mantras 184.
I had no problem with the skis though, the skis Outlaw was mounted to.

Summary:
Meidjo for me offers a great telemark feeling, best touring performance and awful step-in experience. For some better mountain-wise situated skiers this could be a deal breaker, but not for me.
Freerides offer average telemark feeling, poor touring performance and good step-in. For me the biggest plus is that I can use 1 binding with unlimited number of skis.
Outlaws offer poor telemark feeling, probably (haven't thought of it) no or poor touring performance and good step-in.
IMG_20181218_1339046.jpg
Meidjo 2.0
IMG_20181219_1037489.jpg
Outlaw X on Volkl 90eight
IMG_20181219_1038065.jpg
Metal plate on Outlaw X
IMG_20181219_1038347.jpg
Meidjo 2.0
IMG_20181219_1210010.jpg
Old Freerides

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Bindings: M Equipment Meidjo 2.0 vs 22 Designs Outlaw X vs Rottefella Freeride

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:09 pm

Pretty much my observations too...!

Even if it's only for the adjustable mounting plates, the Freerides will always be my favorite. Developing ANY kind of binding without a adjustable mounting plate is totally retarded. Hey, it's almost 2019... Come on manufacturers, you can do A LOT better than this...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."