The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Buda

Re: The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

Post by Buda » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi Ben, I could be interested to get a pair of Andrew boots in 2020. Especially if I can try them first. So why not try to convince La Cordée in Montreal? The black Artico (linked above) or black Zenith seem like good choices.
Cheers

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Buda, that would be nice, but I think its mostly a waste of time. LaCordee is great, but its has Asnes and Alfa because le Yéti is bought out was specialized in that type of skiing. I have the impression they did not get new runs of Alfa this Year, am I right? These are premium boots. I think it make more sense working with Aventure Nordique already because they are sold on the idea AND have a relationship with Andrew now. You can always return them for another size, but sure, there are some transport fees to payup, but its better than nothing! Plus, we will be getting some feedback on sizing from them, or other french users via a backcountry skiing forum, at least, that is my hope.

You will have to keep in mind, as you vote, that Andrew boots can be exxxpensive!

The artico is a double boot (weigh factor), and it has a 800$CAD price tag in Norway. Somehow, I remain unconvinced any retailer will order a run of boots that expensive. What do you think?

The black Zenith, unlike the red one, is without a rand and has an instep-buckle. RAW POWER that can be widened to anyones liking! It goes probably goes somewhere between 400-500$CAD.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Buda

Post by Buda » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:17 am

Ok, the Zenith!

What about these guys also in Québec?
http://www.novaforequipement.com/index. ... ery=andrew

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 am

Buda wrote:Ok, the Zenith!

What about these guys also in Québec?
http://www.novaforequipement.com/index. ... ery=andrew
Buda, tried them already. They specialized in arboriculture. Not sure they even know what telesking is and could not find those boots in their Andrew catalogue. They gave up on my e-mails.

Another neat option would be to contact Sierre Trading Post and see if they could eventually order a new series of Teletour from Alico? Wouldn't that be sweet!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 am

Do any 75mm users have an opinion on/experience with the Alfa Greenland 75mm? I like the idea of 75mm boots and bindings for my new skis, but as these have a glued sole, rather than a welted one, I'm not sure whether they would be any better than the equivalent NNN-BC model (Alfa Skarvet). My understanding is that 75mm offer better strength at the cost of a higher overall weight... Both boots fit me really well, so it's just going to come down to the type of binding.
Cheers, Leo

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:10 am

Leo Tasker wrote:Do any 75mm users have an opinion on/experience with the Alfa Greenland 75mm? I like the idea of 75mm boots and bindings for my new skis, but as these have a glued sole, rather than a welted one, I'm not sure whether they would be any better than the equivalent NNN-BC model (Alfa Skarvet). My understanding is that 75mm offer better strength at the cost of a higher overall weight... Both boots fit me really well, so it's just going to come down to the type of binding.
Cheers, Leo

Hi Leo!

I've owned the previous gen of the Alfa Greenland 75mm, the Advance Quest 75mm or something like that. The Skarvet/Greenland uppers are aweseome awesome but relatively soft. The NNN-BC sole is nice and stiff but the sole on the Quest Advance 75mm was ridiculously soft. I understand the new Greenland has a stiffer sole, but by how much? Please tell us!!

So for ski control, the Quest Advance 75mm was pretty nil. The Greenland is surely superior and If I was looking for better control, of the Skarvet or the Greenland, I would probably take the Greenland (but the Skarvet for standard fjall touring will offer better touring ability because of the binding system).

BUT, as you live in the motherland of ski, and your into the 75mm binding, I highly recommend looking into the new Crispi Bre. I have the Sydpolen, the previous gen, and its absolutely sublime! They really drive and have great touring flex too. Its another world really. So much support, they do not let you don't for a second.

A stiffer boot like the Bre might be stiff at first, but will break in and get comfy with time. The softer boots like Alfa are comfy in the store and get sloppy (softer) with time.

But why don't you ask around fellow Norwegian skiers and tell us what they think of all this?!

Happy skiing!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 am

TM....where can I get a Reffuggio...sorry about the spelling or a zenith or any damn Andrew boot???? They are Soooooo good.....Wasn't sure which to get so got the North Rim a double buckle boot bunch of years back....Gawd they were a great boot.....Still use them if I need power but they broke into a beautiful soft flexing fantastic feeling boot...Aqua glue keeps them going after hundreds and hundreds of days in them......Telekids are still functioning normally but he reluctantly doesn't use them for air shots.....He'd rather blow some other boot up....My boot size is 9.5 but got a 10 not knowing and the width was great for my flat feet and with heavy woolen socks they rock....Great boots... I'd purchase a set....Single buckle Zenith would be DYN-----O----MITE....Please, please!!!!! Teleman

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:51 am

I understand the new Greenland has a stiffer sole, but by how much? Please tell us!!
Having one on one foot, on on the other, the 75mm feels like a softer sole, although I guess this because the toe is captive and the flex occurs at the ball of the foot, whereas the NNN sole is free to rotate around the toe bar so the sole is stiffer for power during the kick? Not sure if this is normally the case... The softer 75mm sole feels like it would be more comfortable for any short hikes on tarmac.
I highly recommend looking into the new Crispi Bre
I have tried the Crispi Stetind and it felt loose around the heel, not sure if Crispi boots all fit similar but it's a safe assumption IME. Interestingly the older Alfa boots are the same, the newer versions (Skarvet vs. BC Advance, Greenland vs. 75mm Advance) seem to have more padding either side of the Achilles, which holds my heel way better.
but the Skarvet for standard fjall touring will offer better touring ability because of the binding system).
My new skis are Åsnes Gamme and will mostly be used on rolling terrain without so much need for downhill ability, the BC sole is probably a better option in that case. It will also fit in the cut tracks better if I use them locally.
But why don't you ask around fellow Norwegian skiers and tell us what they think of all this?!
Most Norwegians seem to lean towards NNN-BC as boot choice is wider and overall weight is lower. I probably like the idea of 75mm because it seems more "classic" to me, also I have watched Heroes of Telemark too many times :lol:

Thanks for your input, it is super helpful!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Leo Tasker wrote: Having one on one foot, on on the other, the 75mm feels like a softer sole, although I guess this because the toe is captive and the flex occurs at the ball of the foot, whereas the NNN sole is free to rotate around the toe bar so the sole is stiffer for power during the kick? Not sure if this is normally the case... The softer 75mm sole feels like it would be more comfortable for any short hikes on tarmac.
I meant the Greenland 75mm is supposedly stiffer than the older Advance Quest 75mm which I own. But I am not surprised by what you say, the NNN-BC sole is surely stiffer. Johhny, did you see that?! 5/5...! ;)
Leo Tasker wrote: I have tried the Crispi Stetind and it felt loose around the heel, not sure if Crispi boots all fit similar but it's a safe assumption IME. Interestingly the older Alfa boots are the same, the newer versions (Skarvet vs. BC Advance, Greenland vs. 75mm Advance) seem to have more padding either side of the Achilles, which holds my heel way better.
Youre surely right. The newer Alfas now have an outer plastic heel cup (the big A), that is what is responsible for the better heel hold, not the padding. Some other brands like Fisher actually use lots of padding for heel hold, but that is not what I saw in Alfa boots.
Leo Tasker wrote: My new skis are Åsnes Gamme and will mostly be used on rolling terrain without so much need for downhill ability, the BC sole is probably a better option in that case. It will also fit in the cut tracks better if I use them locally.
Sounds like your mind is set, If I were you, I'd just for with the Alfa Skarvet in NNN-BC! Its a great boot! Another one to look at is the Alpina Alaska NNN-BC. BUT this thread is about 75mm leathers boots!!! hahaha
Leo Tasker wrote: Thanks for your input, it is super helpful!
No problemo!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:28 pm

TM - the Refugios are $340 shipped from Adventure Nordique in France, all sizes in stock - better get moving! They may go on sale in the spring, but who knows what sizes will be left.

I warned everyone for 2 years in a row that the Zeniths were on sale in Australia, now that opportunity is gone - you have to act fast on these! :lol: Yes $340 is not cheap but Crispi Antarctic are $300, you won't get real welted boots for any cheaper. How much are 75mm Alaskas? The glued-on boots are going to last a fraction of the time the real welted Andrew boots will last.

I love the idea of a group buy - I think someone asked Alico and they were told the minimum is 100 pairs though, unless we can negotiate that number down to 20 or 30 it's going to be hard to pull it off.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)