The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Re: The Finest Nordic Norm (NN) 75mm Backcountry Boots

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Wow, this a huge relief to see the Andrew Shoes boots fully stocked in all sizes! I will say a prayer that Andrew continues to make them for retailers but I'm very concerned that they were removed from the Andrew website. It's absolutely worth paying to import them, the Andrew Zenith I got via Australia is extremely high quality, just like old Merrells.

Crispi Antarctic is also superb quality, up there with Andrew Shoes for sure. Zenith is one step up in stiffness & support for turns. Crispi Bre looks like a really nice boot, hopefully they will keep making it. The Zenith from Bogong also have a buckle over the ankle, looks like the newer red ones don't have it???

You can't read too much into pictures on a website though - I have actually spoken to Alico in Italy on the telephone - they explained they don't make any of the tele boots on the website anymore, except for Glide and Double - they make individual runs of those specifically for Sierra Trading Post only. And apparently military contracts for the Ski March. The others are not available, which crushed my hopes of getting a pair of "Super Tele".

Another concern is the rubber rands on the Andrew Shoes boots - they make it harder to stretch the boot for width. The Zenith stocked by Bogong Sports in Australia are black leather and do not have the rand, thus I was able to massively stretch out the width for my feet.

PS, Lundhags doesn't get enough love for its NNNBC boots, the pair I had were super nice, very robust hand made leather uppers.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:09 pm

this is so cool, there is more info on the Andrews boots...wow! I want one of each...you could always add a buckle to them if you want.....Zenith:

75mm ski boot made in Montebelluna in Italy, The model is made in 2.8mm full, edge-sealed and rubber-coated rubber foam around the entire shoe for better leather protection. Zenith is a normal-height shoe on the shaft and a medium go flex with high torsion rigidity. The shoe has double plush [tongue] that provides somewhat higher comfort than a std. tongue.

All the ski shoes from Andrew are made in a thick 2.8mm fuller which makes the boot too many seem stiff at first but after a while the leather softens and the shoe becomes supreme. We have good experience with both leather calability and rubber seal on the shoes, so with good quality leather fat and even maintenance you should have boots here for many years.

St. Moritz:

75mm ski boot made in Montebelluna in Italy, The model is made in 2.8mm full, edge-sealed and rubber-coated rubber foam around the entire shoe for better leather protection. St. Moritz has a slightly higher shaft than Zenith but still a medium-pitched high thorson rigidity. If you want a 75mm ski boot with high stability and high comfort, this is the shoe for you. For more detail on the model St. Moritz, this shoe is made of a piece of leather at the whole bottom so there are no cross seams, either in the boot or above forefoot. St. Moritz has extra isolation in a matriale called Win Therm, this is a synthetic matriale made in Italy. Win Therm has good insulation down to -20C and provides a good fit for the temperature of the shoe so that it does not feel clammy on warmer days.

Artico - has inner booty:

75mm ski boot made in Montebelluna in Italy, The model is made in 2.8mm full, edge-sealed and rubber-coated rubber foam around the entire shoe for better leather protection. Artico is the woolen interior wool combined with Sympatex emmbrand. The outer shell is made in a piece of 2.8mm full in the whole lower part as well as the plunger. Artico is an extra hot ski boot for those who want / need something that is extremely insulated. The shoe has the same height on the shaft as St. Moritz but with a somewhat stiffer gaflex. The inner shoe is made with leather at the top that is folded over the outer shell, preventing snow and moisture from entering the inner and outer shell.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Canna, sleep tight: http://andrewfootwear.com/prodotti/en/t ... index.html

Care to prepare a review of the Zenith in the Community Reviews sections? I'd love to see more pictures of the boot and how its made inside.

Hoho! And looks like you got an Andrew retailer in Québec!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:26 am

Andrew boots in QC?! Who- where?! (I not only want a pair of there 75mm boots, but also want a pair of there logging boots...You can even get their logging boots with welted soles!!)

I have communicated with Andrew a number of times- can't speak about their leather Tele boots, but, they have told me that I can custom order any of their boots and they will ship them directly from Italy. Expensive? I guess spending upwards of $600+CAN on a pair of boots seems like a lot...My experience suggests that paying for top-quality boots is well worth it in terms of comfort, support, and durability.

Being able to re-sole a quality boot is a big deal as well. Does anybody know of anyone that will resole welted boots in Canada?

The Crispi Bre looks like the lacing system has been extended further towards the toe? I like.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:41 am

lilcliffy wrote:Andrew boots in QC?!
http://www.novaforequipement.com/index. ... ery=andrew

No 75mm in stock. Perhaps they can order for us?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pm

http://andrewfootwear.com/prodotti/en/t ... index.html

what's up with this? an old version of their website? When you ask them to ship boots to the USA they say no - probably due to customs/tax hassles I'm guessing. Maybe the shop in Quebec could order them, that would work for me. I was just in the neighborhood this summer visiting my friends' lake house.

If you want the Zenith or Claut don't forget Bogong Sports has a New Year's sale where they go 30% off. I think it was only about $325-350 to get my pair shipped here. I'm thinking Gamletorvet Sport doesn't ship to USA? Ordering through Quebec would be ideal as you wouldn't have to pay the European VAT tax. (you don't pay an tax ordering from Australia). Sizing is a problem too - you never really know if they'll fit until you get them. I know I take 47 in Andrew now. It would be devastating to pay $500-$600 for a pair of St. Moritz and then they don't fit.

The Alico Ski March is an unbelievable bargain, everyone interested in this type of boots should have a pair. Less than $100 shipped and the quality is amazing, super-durable, they won't need resoling or anything else for a long, long time.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Cannatonic wrote:http://andrewfootwear.com/prodotti/en/t ... index.html

what's up with this? an old version of their website? When you ask them to ship boots to the USA they say no - probably due to customs/tax hassles I'm guessing. Maybe the shop in Quebec could order them, that would work for me. I was just in the neighborhood this summer visiting my friends' lake house.

If you want the Zenith or Claut don't forget Bogong Sports has a New Year's sale where they go 30% off. I think it was only about $325-350 to get my pair shipped here. I'm thinking Gamletorvet Sport doesn't ship to USA? Ordering through Quebec would be ideal as you wouldn't have to pay the European VAT tax. (you don't pay an tax ordering from Australia). Sizing is a problem too - you never really know if they'll fit until you get them. I know I take 47 in Andrew now. It would be devastating to pay $500-$600 for a pair of St. Moritz and then they don't fit.

The Alico Ski March is an unbelievable bargain, everyone interested in this type of boots should have a pair. Less than $100 shipped and the quality is amazing, super-durable, they won't need resoling or anything else for a long, long time.
Canna, for what is it worth, here is the Andrew sizing chart I found:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 446#p24446
does this correspond to your experience? Any hints on sizing, particularly using MP?

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 am

bgregoire wrote: Canna, for what is it worth, here is the Andrew sizing chart I found:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 446#p24446
does this correspond to your experience? Any hints on sizing, particularly using MP?
Hi bgregoire, I posted a comment about Andrew sizing on that thread. In short, Andrew sizing runs small.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:15 am

>>does this correspond to your experience?

the sizing is a little off - my Zenith are marked 12.5 UK and 46.5. UK 12.5 should be 13.5 American. I usually take size 13 American or size 47. Usually size 13.5 American would be size 48 so things are a bit off. I would try to order using the European sizes if possible (45-46-47 etc)....using UK/American causes trouble IMO, companies in continental Europe struggle with the conversions

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:22 am

Cannatonic wrote:>>does this correspond to your experience?

the sizing is a little off - my Zenith are marked 12.5 UK and 46.5. UK 12.5 should be 13.5 American. I usually take size 13 American or size 47. Usually size 13.5 American would be size 48 so things are a bit off. I would try to order using the European sizes if possible (45-46-47 etc)....using UK/American causes trouble IMO, companies in continental Europe struggle with the conversions
Weird, I conclude from Canna's remarks that the Zenith runs a little big while Verskis Rifugio's rans a little small!

How is the last width on theses boots?