BC Nordic for The Babies (!?!?)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: BC Nordic for The Babies (!?!?)

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:58 am

Telekid has some of those strap on to any boot contraption....Two days ago Granddaughter holds them up with a big grin....."skiing".....Believe me...she will get anything this old fool can give....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 am

Although mine is only 3yo, she already has 7 pairs of skis (Which I think is a good age/skis ratio to follow...)

BC mostly consists in playing around the house here... More serious than this and it wouldn't be fun... But she had a season pass at the ski resort for 3 seasons now.. And she likes it a lot...!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am

Johnny wrote:Although mine is only 3yo, she already has 7 pairs of skis (Which I think is a good age/skis ratio to follow...)

BC mostly consists in playing around the house here... More serious than this and it wouldn't be fun... But she had a season pass at the ski resort for 3 seasons now.. And she likes it a lot...!
[emoji24][emoji23][emoji108][emoji2532]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am

Hey man,
Great to hear from you.

I have a couple of sets of those very short toddler skis that have been mentioned- they are plastic with waxless scales. There are a number of designs out there- some of which do not have a free heel binding. The bindings that do not have a free heel are truly terrible and to be avoided. These skis are- well- meh...

As a note I have started all of my children on toddler snow shoes (younger than 2 years old). Snow shoes are a great way for them to build some strength and balance walking on deep snow without the added dimension of gliding.

You can buy NNN boots in VERY small sizes.

The most important thing is to find skis that are low cambered and soft enough so that they do not have to learn a Classic Nordic kick when they are first starting out. Learning how to ski on stiff double-cambered skis can be a very slippery miserable experience.

GRIP is everything when you are learning to XC ski. I won't allow my children to ski with poles until they have a couple of seasons in. Using poles to start is a real handicap because they will rely on the poles rather than learning to balance and move on the skis alone.

I cannot say enough good things about the Altai Balla Hok ski for little children. It is a dream Nordic touring ski for small children and is wide enough that it truly floats in very deep soft snow. My youngest has been using hers since she was less than 3 years old- she will be 5 on Xmas Eve. Last winter she spent countless hours yo-yo skiing on the little hill behind our barn! I wish I had had the Balla Hok for my older children!

As a next step up, I cannot say enough good about a 165cm Madshus Eon. This is a very soft ski that children can easily manage. I am planning on mounting a NNN binding on a 165cm Eon for my youngest this winter. Looking for a 165cm Eon cheap...
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Young Satchel

BC Nordic for The Babies (!?!?)

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Hey man,
Great to hear from you.

I have a couple of sets of those very short toddler skis that have been mentioned- they are plastic with waxless scales. There are a number of designs out there- some of which do not have a free heel binding. The bindings that do not have a free heel are truly terrible and to be avoided. These skis are- well- meh...

As a note I have started all of my children on toddler snow shoes (younger than 2 years old). Snow shoes are a great way for them to build some strength and balance walking on deep snow without the added dimension of gliding.

You can buy NNN boots in VERY small sizes.

The most important thing is to find skis that are low cambered and soft enough so that they do not have to learn a Classic Nordic kick when they are first starting out. Learning how to ski on stiff double-cambered skis can be a very slippery miserable experience.

GRIP is everything when you are learning to XC ski. I won't allow my children to ski with poles until they have a couple of seasons in. Using poles to start is a real handicap because they will rely on the poles rather than learning to balance and move on the skis alone.

I cannot say enough good things about the Altai Balla Hok ski for little children. It is a dream Nordic touring ski for small children and is wide enough that it truly floats in very deep soft snow. My youngest has been using hers since she was less than 3 years old- she will be 5 on Xmas Eve. Last winter she spent countless hours yo-yo skiing on the little hill behind our barn! I wish I had had the Balla Hok for my older children!

As a next step up, I cannot say enough good about a 165cm Madshus Eon. This is a very soft ski that children can easily manage. I am planning on mounting a NNN binding on a 165cm Eon for my youngest this winter. Looking for a 165cm Eon cheap...
Gareth
Excellent recs and insight as always man! And yeah, I’ve been browsing some of the inexpensive plastic offerings with no free heel and can’t help but feel like it isn’t what I’m after. My younger guy is 3.5yrs, but is basically 5 as far as size, aptitude, and general abilities. I’ve gotta check out the Altais you mentioned. They may be a bit too advanced for him at this stage, but we’ll see....what Boot/binding setup did you use with her when she was on those at age 3???

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:11 pm

https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/balla-kids-hok/
Balla Hok with universal binding
The bomb for soft snow.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 pm

lilcliffy wrote:https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/balla-kids-hok/
Balla Hok with universal binding
The bomb for soft snow.
Says “Out of stock” :-(

Also discovered these guys but that’s a hell of a lot of bread for some skis for the little man: https://www.gearx.com/oac-skis-poh-uc-100-w-binding

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 am

Yeah- just did a quick search- doesn't seem to be any Balla Hoks out there at the moment. I would contact Altai directly.

I have a pair of OAC XCD 160cm- I hate them actually. They are totally bizarre- they have a camber and flex suited for hard consolidated snow, but they are waaaay to short to offer any glide or stability. They are bizarre.

No idea what the POH is like. The OAC KAR is reportedly very different from the Hok in terms of camber and flex.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:44 am

Yes, Altai Balla Hoks here too...!
Along with Kabooms and Asnes Blafjellskis...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 am

Yeah- I really want a couple pair of the Asnes Mountain Race Jr. for my two youngest...
Should have remembered that a few months back!!!