NNN-BC boot fit advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Re: NNN-BC boot fit advice

Post by Leo Tasker » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:49 pm

I've had a few pairs of Rossi boots: X-6 classic, X-6 skate and X-5 OT (all track boots, not BC) as I can get them cheap through my work and they fit my feet really well (narrow heels). I've been very happy, the only issue I've had with every pair is the plastic lace locks. It's just not secure enough to stay tight, and I had to constantly keep adjusting them during every ski trip. If you find the same issue, there's an easy fix - get a set of Salomon/Atomic speed laces, any dealer should have them. The lace lock is a bigger and much better design and holds the laces tight until I come to loosen them. Also, if you find the right boot is loose, trying putting a thin volume reducer under the insole, this will snug up the boot without the need to wear thicker socks on one foot. Hope this helps!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: NNN-BC boot fit advice

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Leo Tasker wrote:I've had a few pairs of Rossi boots: X-6 classic, X-6 skate and X-5 OT (all track boots, not BC) as I can get them cheap through my work and they fit my feet really well (narrow heels). I've been very happy, the only issue I've had with every pair is the plastic lace locks. It's just not secure enough to stay tight, and I had to constantly keep adjusting them during every ski trip.
This is true but there is a solution. I have used my Ross BC X-10's for years and the plastic lace locks stop slipping if you just tie a simple knot above and snug to the lace lock. I use a simple slip knot. Presto-change-O no more slipping!